Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Pizza Places in the USA [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2010, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Originally Posted by tkey75
I heard recently Totonno's in Brooklyn burned down and there's no plans to rebuild. Tragic!
FYI, Totonno's reopened earlier this year ^

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...oklyn-nyc.html
Old May 20, 2010, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec, USair Gold, Marriot Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by nfedas
So I've seen a bunch of posts relating to California pizza, being from back east I must say that in general CA pizza sucks. There are some good places but you have to be very careful on where you eat. Unlike the east coast where you can go into almost any pizza shop and get at least a halfway decent pizza. In Cali you have to be more careful as 90% of all pizza shops suck.

Here are some favorites:

Roccos - Walnut Creek, CA
Skipolini's - Clayton, CA
Amici's - Several locations in N Cali.

For pizza back east I would recommend

Pizza Mia - Bedford, NH
Santarpio's - Boston, MA
Christopher's - Hollis, NH... Sadly closed now...

Santarpios get's my vote.

Re your CA Pizza Kitchen comment, the only thing worse is the folks using Papa John's, Pizza Hut, etc in the same sentence as "Best Pizza"
Old May 23, 2010, 4:38 pm

Programs: CO, UA, SPG
Franzone's in Conshohocken, PA

I've only had the "plain" pizza (I won't give my opinion on the use of this adjective...) which they prepare unlike any other pizza I've ever had. They make a swirl of cheese around the whole pizza, spiraling it towards the center. Then they go back and spiral a very sweet tomato sauce over the rest. The result is a psychedelic pinwheel of cheese and sauce. It works, because the sauce is so sweet that you need the intermediary bite of salty cheese to counter it.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
It's now become a necessity to stop at Vito's Pizza in West Hollywood when passing thru Los Angeles, despite the fact that traffic can make it a cumbersome drive from the 101. It's at the top of N La Cienega about a block down from Santa Monica.

I eat pizza frequently, and enjoy trying out different places, and I'd have to say that Vito's is my favorite thus far. It's comforting to know that I don't have to venture to NY to get excellent NY style pizza.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 1:49 am

Programs: SPG, FPC, US
Julio's in Fairless Hills, PA and Grimaldi's in Brooklyn.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I guess I'm not terribly choosy, but I've got one solid favorite in the White Plains, NY area: Mezzaluna in Scarsdale. I also have four close runners-up: Mario's, Italian Pavilion, Nicky's (all in WP), and Italian Village (Scarsdale again).
Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:05 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by maskedavenger
New Park Pizza
156-71 Cross Bay Blvd, Queens, NY 11414, USA - Howard Beach
Last time I flew out of JFK I almost missed my flight because we stopped there...without reading the entire thread best pizza I have had recently, Grimaldi's, local here in DC, We The Pizza, or Pizzareia Paradiso. If I can't get to one of those places, Flippin Pizza is a good DC chain. I am starting to become a sucker for a good white pizza.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 2:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dchristiva
I guess I'm not terribly choosy, but I've got one solid favorite in the White Plains, NY area: Mezzaluna in Scarsdale. I also have four close runners-up: Mario's, Italian Pavilion, Nicky's (all in WP), and Italian Village (Scarsdale again).
Is that Mezzaluna affiliated with the former Mezzaluna that used to be in Rye? I always loved their pizza, they folded maybe 6 years ago?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Everybody in PHX will probably tell you about Pizzeria Bianco but where they probably won't tell you about is Cibo just a couple of miles west at 603 N. 5th Ave.. Just as good IMHO and without the hours long wait.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:15 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SWCPHX
Everybody in PHX will probably tell you about Pizzeria Bianco but where they probably won't tell you about is Cibo just a couple of miles west at 603 N. 5th Ave.. Just as good IMHO and without the hours long wait.
I ate there once a few years ago and wasn't really thrilled by it. The idea of an "urban wine cafe and pizzeria" somewhat defeats the point for me, but that's probably because I'm from New York. Give me a couple of large slices in a place with all the pies being made behind the counter any day.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Has anyone tried the Una Pizza Napolitano in SFO? It was my favorite in NYC before he moved west. I'm there next month and thinking I may have to check it out.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Has anyone tried the Una Pizza Napolitano in SFO? It was my favorite in NYC before he moved west. I'm there next month and thinking I may have to check it out.
I don't know it, but will have to check it out.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by Steph3n
dominoes....mama's pizza?!! ummm ok. I have to say I don't think of either of those at any point when i think pizza. mama's pizza I think grocery store cold section junk.
The poster is from Texas which leads me to believe he is speaking specifically of the local "chain" Mama's Pizza around Fort Worth (and surrounding areas) and I have to second that. I love Mama's Pizza and don't at all think it resembles anything I could find in my grocery store. Their cheese breadsticks are particularly divine and are my pick when I have a need for hard-core carbs coated in gooey cheese.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by techgirl
The poster is from Texas which leads me to believe he is speaking specifically of the local "chain" Mama's Pizza around Fort Worth (and surrounding areas) and I have to second that. I love Mama's Pizza and don't at all think it resembles anything I could find in my grocery store. Their cheese breadsticks are particularly divine and are my pick when I have a need for hard-core carbs coated in gooey cheese.
Ah while I am from TX, and even used to live near Fort Worth, I had never heard of this small chain.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by Steph3n
Ah while I am from TX, and even used to live near Fort Worth, I had never heard of this small chain.
Must have been a long time ago. The original Mama's was on Rosedale across from Texas Wesleyan University and opened in the 60s or 70s. They had (and still have) locations on Camp Bowie and on Berry Street (near TCU). The newer owners have sold franchise rights - there are several around including one in Arlington and one in Coppell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.