Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2019, 4:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
I just saw a news item that stated a 25% tariff will be added to single malts from the UK from October 18. When I was at a chain beverage store I checked some prices, and it doesn't look like the tariff has been added to their prices yet. I've been looking to get a high end bottle of whisky, but I was in no rush; that has changed a bit now.
It is scheduled to take place on October 18th - if it doesn't get delayed as often happens
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:19 am

Managed to snag a seat at two of the sponsored Laphroaig events in Austin this week. A tasting at the Austin Shaker to sip drams including a rare bottle of Laphroaig 25 Year Old, hear shared stories, and perhaps to pick up a signed bottle on Thursday. Then, a happy hour with Distillery Manager John Campbell and Master Ambassador Simon Brooking at Here Nor There on Brazos Street for some end-of-the-week revelry featuring 10 Year Old Cask Strength, the 2019 Cairdeas and Lore on Friday.

Looking forward to it!
exerda likes this.

Last edited by Pa Kettle; Oct 9, 2019 at 12:26 pm Reason: correct spelling
Old Oct 11, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by CMK10
You're right it wasn't that good, but for $60-70 I'll try pretty much anything. It's been fun trying lots of new brands the last couple of years. But I do not plan to buy this one again.

I will still listen to EDM though, grandpa.
Thank you!
A bit premature though.
First grandchild due 2020!
And my son the expectant father just gave me ... a bottle of Bowmore.

Wife gave the usual Springbank 18yo which is becoming slightly more available than it was last few years.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
KUL

Specifically, KLIA2 - LCC terminal DF.

Will be passing through in a few weeks en route to Australia.

Anyone know what their whisky range is like? Any bargains?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, DL Diamond 2MM, PriorityPass, Hilton Honors Silver
Question Looking for availability of JOHNNIE WALKER BLACK LABEL ORIGINS SERIES at IAD

Anyone passing through IAD, can you please see if the JOHNNIE WALKER BLACK LABEL ORIGINS SERIES is available at DutyFree?
They were available at JFK T4 on October 12.

Last edited by spc354; Oct 22, 2019 at 2:38 pm Reason: Adding info
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
I just saw a news item that stated a 25% tariff will be added to single malts from the UK from October 18. When I was at a chain beverage store I checked some prices, and it doesn't look like the tariff has been added to their prices yet. I've been looking to get a high end bottle of whisky, but I was in no rush; that has changed a bit now.

It's a real shame.

I'm Scottish, and I work with many Americans in the Middle East. I have pointed this out to them, and have advised them when they travel through Dubai, to compare whisky prices in the USA, and to pick up a bottle that will obviously be far cheaper there than in the USA.

If anything, this may encourage more Americans to travel to "Scotch-land", and tour distilleries, taste, and pick up a bottle or two to take back with them.

I collect and I have 78 different whiskies, but over 80 if you include duplicates I have opened or I shall open.

I do now prefer Glenlivit over Glenfiddich now. Though I do enjoy many other whiskies, it does help I live up in the Highlands, near to many fine distilleries within 1 to 3 hours drive.

I do appreciate your pain, on the levy on whisky arriving into the USA.
zippy the pinhead likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Giantlonglegs
It's a real shame.

I'm Scottish, and I work with many Americans in the Middle East. I have pointed this out to them, and have advised them when they travel through Dubai, to compare whisky prices in the USA, and to pick up a bottle that will obviously be far cheaper there than in the USA.

If anything, this may encourage more Americans to travel to "Scotch-land", and tour distilleries, taste, and pick up a bottle or two to take back with them.

[...]
It may well make the duty free a better option for Americans traveling abroad. I don't often shop duty free, because it can be hard to find a reasonable deal, particularly when duty free vendors use, say, a 700 ml bottle (instead of 750 ml) to create the appearance of a deal. But, you can bet I will diligently check before the next opportunity.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I received a bottle of The Balvenie Doublewood for Christmas (celebrated a week early). It’s a 12 year old whisky aged in 2 different casks: traditional oak followed by oak sherry. With the surplus of new beverages around the house, it may be a while before I get a chance to taste it. Anyone tried it?
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:00 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I received a bottle of The Balvenie Doublewood for Christmas (celebrated a week early). It’s a 12 year old whisky aged in 2 different casks: traditional oak followed by oak sherry. With the surplus of new beverages around the house, it may be a while before I get a chance to taste it. Anyone tried it?
Originally Posted by TWA884
Originally Posted by zitsky
Originally Posted by TWA884
What's a good scotch for someone who enjoys "The Macallan"?
Balvenie Double Wood.
Thanks I will check this out. TWA884, do you mind explaining a little why you like this scotch, or why you think I would like it?
It's rich, smooth and mellow with a floral nose, just a hint of smoke and notes of sherry and vanilla.
BamaVol likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:32 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I've been drinking it for years. One of my favorite highland malts. The post right above this gives a very accurate representation of taste of Balvenie Doublewood
BamaVol and tentseller like this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Larrude
I've been drinking it for years. One of my favorite highland malts. The post right above this gives a very accurate representation of taste of Balvenie Doublewood
Thanks. And yes, as a fan of The Macallan, I am now excited to open it and try it out.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I hope the mod doesn't mind me bumping an old thread but figured this rather than starting a new one.

I bought a bottle of Project XX Glenfiddich which I plan to open tomorrow night. Review to follow!

I've been drinking Dalwhinnie Winters Gold, Singleton Nectar and Old Pulteney recently - all good. From that list you can see I'm not a huge fan of peated whiskys.

I plan to buy a bottle of Macalan as soon as I can justify spending the £60.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I hope the mod doesn't mind me bumping an old thread but figured this rather than starting a new one.

I bought a bottle of Project XX Glenfiddich which I plan to open tomorrow night. Review to follow!

I've been drinking Dalwhinnie Winters Gold, Singleton Nectar and Old Pulteney recently - all good. From that list you can see I'm not a huge fan of peated whiskys.

I plan to buy a bottle of Macalan as soon as I can justify spending the £60.
There is no need to justify a Macallan purchase. It’s worth it. I am happy with the 12 Sherry cask or double cask but I have bought the 25 Sherry cask.
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
There is no need to justify a Macallan purchase. It’s worth it. I am happy with the 12 Sherry cask or double cask but I have bought the 25 Sherry cask.
I will, once I've got a few other priorities organised.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 9:41 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
A colleague bought a few rounds of Macallan 18 recently, and while I thought it was really nice, I tried to buy a bottle and learned it's way out of my budget.

I bought the 12 sherry cask instead and I'm quite happy with it. It's still pricey in my area at $90, so I'll be looking for something else the next time around.

I've seen a few recommendations for Bunnahabhain 12, as an alternative. At $65, it's more in line with my budget. Any thoughts on that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.