FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by hannisen
Isn't Dinner 2 star?
Yes, I checked today
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:55 am

Have heard nothing but great things about Ledbury, also heard people talk about it possibly moving up to 3 star. I'm hoping it does so in the next guide, that would be great timing for us

A big reason why we didn't decide to go to AD was the fact that a lot of people seem to think it's not a big deal, plus the food doesn't seem as exciting as GR or Ledbury.
The Ledbury is indeed fabulous - about as close to a perfect dining experience as I've had.

As for Dinner, I thoroughly enjoyed my meal there, but with one caveat - I don't consider it a true fine dining experience, and the fact it has two Michelin stars and ranked what, number 7 in the world? is somewhat of a mystery. I would consider it more of a novelty meal, and go in with that mindset.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
The Ledbury is indeed fabulous - about as close to a perfect dining experience as I've had.

As for Dinner, I thoroughly enjoyed my meal there, but with one caveat - I don't consider it a true fine dining experience, and the fact it has two Michelin stars and ranked what, number 7 in the world? is somewhat of a mystery. I would consider it more of a novelty meal, and go in with that mindset.
Itīs very relaxed and not the right restaurant if you wonna show your jewels. If you are after the "experience" Alain Ducasse is perfect.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Itīs very relaxed and not the right restaurant if you wonna show your jewels. If you are after the "experience" Alain Ducasse is perfect.
I've never been to Alain Ducasse because it seems like this same assessment is given by so many sources.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:54 am

Programs: points traveller
in NYC for only 2 nights in March. if we can't get into eleven madison park - what would people recommend? wanting a degustation and fine dining (it's the start of our honeymoon)

cheers
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diningdecadence
in NYC for only 2 nights in March. if we can't get into eleven madison park - what would people recommend? wanting a degustation and fine dining (it's the start of our honeymoon)

cheers
One of the other 3 stars

Personally I liked Jean George and Per Se. Le Bernadin is also fine, but not as good as the 2 mentioned before. Also a big fan of Marea (2 star) and Daniel (now 2 star). Daniel is the most elegant of the restaurants. It was great when we visited but I heared itīs inconsistent the last time. Marea is the most relaxed. You canīt really go wrong with each of them.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC

cheers
If you are willing to trek out to Brooklyn, go to Chef's Table. In my mind, the best of the 3-star Michelin restaurants that New York has to offer. I have been to the rest of the 3-star Michelins in NYC (except for Masa, but no sushi is good enough to pay $400+/person for), and it's not really a contest. Reservations are extremely difficult to come by, though.

Gramercy Tavern has always been stellar when I have gone. It may have 'only' 1 Michelin star, but it is consistently excellent. Much more of a NYC experience than EMP itself is (they are changing their menu, too - less food, higher prices).

Juni - another 1-star Michelin restaurant that is sublime. Best foie gras torchon / terrine I have had anywhere.

If you are looking for a cost-efficient tasting menu, I would recommend Contra in the Lower East Side. Their seasonal menus are fantastic, very well-thought out (including the drink selections), and at $65-70 for a tasting menu per person, is a great deal.

And because it is a play on words for your ask, Degustation in East Village does a fantastic degustation menu of tapas! Perhaps the only time you will eat tapas while sitting around the kitchen watching the magic happen in front of you.

TBH, NYC has so many fantastic spots that it is hard to go wrong. But I think the secret is not simply going somewhere based solely on Michelin stars (although, on that point, Chef's Table is rated properly for an incomparable experience) - on that count, New York has some real gems that you can discover otherwise.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:10 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K

cheers
Jean-Georges is my favorite, I also enjoy Per Se. I'd stay away from Daniel though.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 7:08 pm

One of the other 3 stars

Personally I liked Jean George and Per Se. Le Bernadin is also fine, but not as good as the 2 mentioned before. Also a big fan of Marea (2 star) and Daniel (now 2 star). Daniel is the most elegant of the restaurants. It was great when we visited but I heared itīs inconsistent the last time. Marea is the most relaxed. You canīt really go wrong with each of them.
Marea is also the cheapest. Fun Italian pizzeria, sorry restaurant.
Why these restaurants have all these michelin stars is hard to understand.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CGRA
Marea is also the cheapest. Fun Italian pizzeria, sorry restaurant.
Why these restaurants have all these michelin stars is hard to understand.
Pizzeria? Didnīt see any Pizza. Sure we visited the same place? Also I canīt understand why so many people think NYC-Restaurants donīt deserve their stars.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:38 am

Have been to some pretty good restaurants, but nothing with more than one Michelin star. Going to London the middle of February and have reservations at Gordon Ramsay, The Ledbury and Dinner by Heston Blumenthal. Really looking forward to it, and it will be interesting to see first-hand exactly what it is like.
Going to GR in October for my honeymoon, so I will be interested to hear your opinion. Was also looking at Dinner by Heston.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:29 am

Pizzeria? Didnīt see any Pizza. Sure we visited the same place? Also I canīt understand why so many people think NYC-Restaurants donīt deserve their stars.
We unfortunately did booked by the MO concierge.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
+1. This place is definitely NOT a pizzeria...it is situated slightly below ground level on Central Park South. The space has a quiet, modern feel to it, and I fondly remember Marea - aside from the great food - for introducing me to the best white wine I can recall drinking (2009 Prima Terra Carlaz Vino da Tavola Bianco).
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
+1. This place is definitely NOT a pizzeria...it is situated slightly below ground level on Central Park South. The space has a quiet, modern feel to it, and I fondly remember Marea - aside from the great food - for introducing me to the best white wine I can recall drinking (2009 Prima Terra Carlaz Vino da Tavola Bianco).
You're right : not yet the level to be a pizzeria
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by United747
Jean-Georges is my favorite, I also enjoy Per Se. I'd stay away from Daniel though.
Per Se just got a scathing review in the NYTimes, and the comments mostly support the rating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.