FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:44 pm
PsiFighter37

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by diningdecadence
in NYC for only 2 nights in March. if we can't get into eleven madison park - what would people recommend? wanting a degustation and fine dining (it's the start of our honeymoon)

cheers
If you are willing to trek out to Brooklyn, go to Chef's Table. In my mind, the best of the 3-star Michelin restaurants that New York has to offer. I have been to the rest of the 3-star Michelins in NYC (except for Masa, but no sushi is good enough to pay $400+/person for), and it's not really a contest. Reservations are extremely difficult to come by, though.

Gramercy Tavern has always been stellar when I have gone. It may have 'only' 1 Michelin star, but it is consistently excellent. Much more of a NYC experience than EMP itself is (they are changing their menu, too - less food, higher prices).

Juni - another 1-star Michelin restaurant that is sublime. Best foie gras torchon / terrine I have had anywhere.

If you are looking for a cost-efficient tasting menu, I would recommend Contra in the Lower East Side. Their seasonal menus are fantastic, very well-thought out (including the drink selections), and at $65-70 for a tasting menu per person, is a great deal.

And because it is a play on words for your ask, Degustation in East Village does a fantastic degustation menu of tapas! Perhaps the only time you will eat tapas while sitting around the kitchen watching the magic happen in front of you.

TBH, NYC has so many fantastic spots that it is hard to go wrong. But I think the secret is not simply going somewhere based solely on Michelin stars (although, on that point, Chef's Table is rated properly for an incomparable experience) - on that count, New York has some real gems that you can discover otherwise.