Best restaurant in a train station

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2004, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Best restaurant in a train station

I've been to a fair amount of train stations in my time, but by far the finest restaurant by the tracks has got to be Le Train Bleu at Gare De Lyon in Paris. I think it's from the 1900 Worlds Fair. The decor is over the top and the food is fabulous. I had my second lunch there this year and just had to tell about it.

Any other winners out there?
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
It's not exactly a restaurant, but the market at the Reading Terminal in PHL is quite impressive.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station. B. Smith's in Washington's Union Station.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Here's another vote for the Oyster Bar!
Old Oct 7, 2004, 1:57 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
1e klas restaurant Amsterdam

The 1st class restaurant at platform 2B Amsterdam Central Station is quite good.
http://www.restaurant1eklas.nl/
Old Oct 7, 2004, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
The Kansas City train station (Union Station) has had a good restaurant on site for years and years, well before it was renovated.

There was a Harvey House (the Westport Room) restaurant until the late 1960s. The Lobster Pot (later with the Colony Steakhouse removed from the Ambassador hotel) operated until the late 1980s. Currently the space is occupied by Pierpont's, owned by the Hereford House. Quite nice, by the way.
Old Oct 8, 2004, 7:18 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Almost any of the restaurants at BNE's central station are great. The station is located in the Sheraton Hotel (well, below, but in the same complex) so of course has all the normal *Wood calibre meals.

Brisbane Sheraton
Old Oct 14, 2004, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by JerryFF
It's not exactly a restaurant, but the market at the Reading Terminal in PHL is quite impressive.

Another vote here. We used to walk almost 20 minutes one-way during those hot and humid Philadelphia summers for lunch at Original Turkey. They made a mean, turkey sandwich. It's too bad the entire market closes by 6pm most nights or I would have explored it more for dinner options too.

Plus, don't forget Philbert the pig!
Old Oct 16, 2004, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by BearX220
The Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station.
I was looking forward to the Oyster Bar for a very long time, but when I finally went there, I found it depressing, breathtakingly expensive (welcome to New York), and kind of ordinary.

In L.A., don't miss visiting Union Station, just north of downtown, and Traxx restaurant. Union Station (you've seen it in a gazillion movies) is worth the visit, and Traxx is quite good (see Gayot review).

Last edited by SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime; Oct 16, 2004 at 2:56 pm Reason: Added link to Gayot review
Old Oct 17, 2004, 12:33 pm

Brasserie "l'Est" - "owner" is Paul Bocuse
Located in the former train station Brotteaux in Lyon.
TGV passes Brotteaux and goes now to Lyon Part-Dieu
only a couple of hundred yards away.

L'Est " la cuisine des Voyages "
Brasserie Restaurant "l'Est"
gare des Brotteaux
69006 Lyon

And only 50 yards away is George Blanc's Brasserie "Le Splendid"
Old Oct 19, 2004, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

One of the greatest establishments at a train station is the Campbell Apartment at Grand Central. Old New York and for those who long to smoke a cigar...it's welcomed.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I've been to a fair amount of train stations in my time, but by far the finest restaurant by the tracks has got to be Le Train Bleu at Gare De Lyon in Paris. I think it's from the 1900 Worlds Fair. The decor is over the top and the food is fabulous. I had my second lunch there this year and just had to tell about it.

How funny. I missed this thread when you first started it and just saw the subject line. Immediately I thought, "le train bleu at gare lyon". I had the opportunity to go several years back with a very, very good friend and it was excellent.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 3:00 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
Originally Posted by stimpy

There is a great italian restuarant in the Jenkintown, PA train station

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.