Thanksgiving Dinner in Philadelphia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanksgiving Dinner in Philadelphia

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2004, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by rahmanbar
Any recommendations (preferably Center City/Downtown)?

Many thanks.
Can you update us on your choice and your report? Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2004, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Can you update us on your choice and your report? Thanks!
Well... ok.

It's almost embarrassing to post this, but you guys were so forthcoming.....

For starters, we ended up in Philadelphia for the holiday for a couple of reasons. One of them was (after some other plans went awry), to meet some friends mid-way between our homes (NY and N.Va.). The second was that both couples wanted to check out, among other things, the National Constitution Center and the Titanic Exhibit at the Franklin Institute.

After due deliberation I settled (I thought) on someplace everyone would like - Founders in the Park Hyatt.

Our friends however, made a big issue about the Marriott's Thanksgiving Buffet, claiming it was "outstanding." (Frankly, we thought the real reason might have been the $$$). Founders would probably run close to $200 w/drinks and gratuities; the bite at the Marriott was advertised at $35. pp

So, I tested my theory by countering with the Thanksgiving Dinner being offered at Ruth's Chris (saw it online) for about $25 pp but they insisted on the Marriott and guaranteed that we'd like it.

For the sake of harmony we acquiesced.

We didn't go into it with any great expectations or enthusiasm (and accordingly insulated ourselves with a couple of cocktails), but I have to admit that it was quite good, the menu extensive and the service excellent.

Hard to remember all the choices but I remember enjoying peel-it-yourself shrimp and lobster claw appetizers. Also available was a variety of smoked fish and salad fixings and soups.

There was the usual Thanksgiving stuff - Mashed Potatos; Yams; Giblet Gravey; Collard Greens; String Beans; Carving station w/Turkey, Roast Beef & Ham; Various breads and rolls; non-alcoholic beverages of various kinds.

Needless to say, there was a decadent dessert spread with enough creamy, hi-cal, satutated fat, cholesterol-loaded choices to guarantee clogged arteries if you dared getting closer than thirty feet.

And coffee.

Still hard for me to believe that Founders (or even Ruth's Chris) would not have topped the Marriott, but have to admit that they put out a damn good spread that was well worth the bite.

PS - Speaking of pigging out - when you're in Philly and can get to the Reading Market before closing time (6 PM, I understand) get over to the Bassett's stand there. Only ice cream that tops Ben & Jerry's, at least in my opinion.

Thanks again to all for the input and advice - we will try out some of those places you recommended.

PPS - On another evening we went to McCormick and Schmicks on Broad St. near City Hall. Had the lobster and thought it of good quality, well-prepared (steamed) and at a reasonable price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.