Reload this Page >

Unusual / Funny Restaurant Names

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unusual / Funny Restaurant Names

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2004, 11:44 am

Chunky Monkey Newport, RI. Excellent food. In NYC Chat and Chew.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA
In Wash DC, there is a chain of coffee bars called 'Capitol Grounds' -- only in DC.

And one of my favorite coffee bars is "Jolt 'n' Bolt".

Last edited by DaDOKin DC; Sep 3, 2004 at 8:13 pm
Old Sep 6, 2004, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by DG
A Chinese eatery in Cambridge called Poo Poo Hot Pot. Somehow with that name, I did not go in.
Good call. Pu Pu Hot Pot is hands down the worst Chinese restaurant in the Boston area, and it has a lot of competition for that title.

There's a bar in Fell's Point in Baltimore called "The Horse You Rode In On".
Mr. GradGirl used to call it "The Horse You Went Home With".

There's also a great place to stay in Fell's Point, "The Admiral Fell Inn"
Old Sep 6, 2004, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver
Crabby Dick's in Key West

Old Sep 7, 2004, 9:04 am

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach
I recently found a coffee-house operation in Arlington, TX called Atomic Grounds.

In Little Rock, AR (presumably near the court house) is Sufficient Grounds.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Aesop's Tables in Wellfleet (Cape Cod), Mass.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL, AA, HH, UA
"Dick's Last Resort"; home of the Big A$$ Beer
http://www.dickslastresort.com/

"Like Like" - Honolulu, a small local spot we frequented near Ala Moana. I always laughed when hearing tourists call it the Like Like as in "I like that ..." vs. Licky Licky as in "quick quick".

"St. James Infirmary" (restaurant) - Mtn. View, CA, http://latc.com/1996/07/22/special_sect/mtnview2.html
atmosphere vs. food was the draw
Not to be confused with St James Infirmary, a comprehensive health & occupational injury clinic for sex workers up the road in San Francisco. http://www.stjamesinfirmary.org/

"Liquor and Redemption Center" Seen on June road trip in Maine (forgot town) sold liquor & redeemed empty souls or was it bottles & cans???
Old Sep 7, 2004, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by jg2411
"Like Like" - Honolulu, a small local spot we frequented near Ala Moana. I always laughed when hearing tourists call it the Like Like as in "I like that ..." vs. Licky Licky as in "quick quick".
A bit of history: Princess Likelike (lee-keh-lee-keh) was a member of Hawaiian royalty, the younger sister of Princess Liliuokalani, and a leader of the music society scene in Hawaii.

You've probably also seen her namesake highway, just off the H1, between HNL and Waikiki.

BTW, it's wiki-wiki (wee-kee-wee-kee) that means "very quick."

This is probably more than you ever wanted to know about Likelike and wiki-wiki.

latahz...
Old Sep 8, 2004, 11:53 am

[QUOTE=ntamayo]
QUOTE]

As in the shuttle between the main and inter-island termnals at HNL? I'm at odds with myself about whether or not the name fits ... I s'pose sometimes yes, sometimes no. (We need an emoticon for "Hang loose!")
Old Sep 8, 2004, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL, AA, HH, UA
Originally Posted by ntamayo

This is probably more than you ever wanted to know about Likelike and wiki-wiki. latahz...
Yelp, wiki-wiki is really the correct phrase for very quick. ^

Using LikeLike for "quickie quickie" is a 'personal thing' hubby & I started years ago when visiting Honolulu every few months. We always headed to Like Like for a huge bowl of saimin & food at good prices vs. paying "fine dining" prices. We spent our fine dining $$ at the La Ronde, which I understand, is now named Top of Waikiki. It was a pleasant surprise when google revealed both were still in business. I haven't visited either on more recent trips.

FWIW, La Ronde was the world's 1st revolving restaurant (1961). The designer/builder opened another atop the Seattle Space Needle the following year. History must begin somewhere.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 5:21 pm

The "Gobble 'n Go" on the Royal Mile in EDI. Looked like a dive -- did not try it!

RTA
Old Jan 14, 2006, 7:23 pm

Programs: US1, HHDiamond, MR Lifetime Plat, Nat'l Exec, Avis 1st, Priority Plat
Originally Posted by DaDOKin DC
Forgot about this one in DC. Used to the med school's hangout at GWU in the 1980s:

"The 21st Amendment" -- the one that repealed Prohibition.
Speaking of Prohibition...
There's a bar/restaurant in NYC (Columbus and 84th iirc) called Prohibition. I met the owner at a tradeshow and went by the restaurant on my next trip to the city. Live music every night. We had a blast.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
There was the Dew Drop Inn t Greenwich and Perry in the Village in NYC. I used to go there when a student in the 1980s...used to be known for having bottled beer from just about everywhere in the world...
Old Jan 15, 2006, 11:00 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
There used to be a number of "Road Kill Cafe's" in rural Maine. The hyperlink is the menu from the one in Greenville Junction. I ate at one in Rangeley Lakes a while back.

http://www.frivolity.com/teatime/Mis..._cafe_menu.txt
Old Jan 15, 2006, 3:01 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Hung Far Low restaurant in Portland's Chinatown...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.