Reload this Page >

Unusual / Funny Restaurant Names

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unusual / Funny Restaurant Names

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2004, 4:11 pm

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
I've always wanted to open my own place.
I'd call it HigherFlyer's Hash House.
Pot pies, pot stickers, pot roast!
Hash browns, turkey hash, corned beef hash!
4-2-0 breakfast special! (four strips, two eggs, and "no thank's I'm toast already!")
No shirt, no shoes...NO PROBLEM!
Old May 23, 2004, 4:31 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
A lot of the Chinese ones have very pointless and basicly random names.

-Destination Restaurant
-Excellent Wok
-Visage Cuisine
Or, the classic all-night one: 'Wok around the Clock'...
Old May 24, 2004, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by YYZC2
There is a Chinese place on Fairfax in L.A. called Genghis Cohen...
The Chinese/deli combo isn't all that rare, and many of the names are chosen to match. "Moishe Peking" and "Ginzberg & Wong" come to mind, though I don't know if either is still in business.

And there used to be (maybe still is)? a Scottsdale, Ariz., restaurant called "The Other Place." Great for those "let's not go there, let's go to..." discussions.
Old May 27, 2004, 3:52 pm

Programs: United 1K MIllion Miler, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by BigJC
Surprised this one hasn't been mentioned:

Skinny Dick's Halfway Inn - Fairbanks, AK

Another good one in Alaska....

The Elbow Room

in Dutch Harbor out in the Aleutians. I was there about 10 years ago and don't know if it still exists. Big hangout for the toughest guys in the world....Bering Sea fisherman and Crabbers. There was at least one fist- or knife-fight per evening.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by gr8rg8r
Another good one in Alaska....

The Elbow Room...
After walking past another Elbow Room pub this past weekend in Bristol, Rhode Island, I googled the name. It's pretty popular. Well-known U.S. cities with Elbow Rooms include New York, Dallas, Fresno and Indianapolis on the first two pages of hits alone. There are many others worldwide, including at least two in different parts of London.

BTW, we didn't stop in because we were heading to the Hot Point restaurant down the block. It might qualify for this thread too. The decor includes lots of old ads for Hotpoint appliances, including stoves. I didn't ask if they use one.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 5:41 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
More Phx spots

Originally Posted by jfe
Chi-Chi's

Thank God they don't have one in ELP

.... and that ELP has places with better Mexican food!

Took some out-of-town friends around Phx this weekend, and in addition to climbing to the top of Camelback Mountain ^ ^ we saw:

-- My Big Fat Greek Restaurant in Scottsdale and Tempe, and

-- Sushi and Rock-- imagine a Hard Rock Cafe with karaoke and sushi. If you can.

-- Cooperstown: A sports bar owned by none other than Alice Cooper.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 6:47 am

I have a good one. There is a restuarant that is about to open in Atlanta called:
Two Urban Licks.. I have no idea how they got that name.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 8:12 am

HAVMOR in many cities.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 5:55 pm
Suspended

OK - not exactly a restaurant, but I'm partial to the "Karki Pussi" candy store chain in Finland.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I was passing through Tracy, CA about 15 years ago and passed a place called Paco's Chop Suey - Mexican/Chinese food. I did not stop.
I lived in Tracy for a couple years, left 6 years ago, and remember no such restaurant name. I'm sure it deservedly ceased operations. I did have the worst pizza in my life in Tracy in a pizzeria that adjoined an Indian restaurant with a common kitchen.

I also remember seeing a restaurant on Haight Street in San Francisco named Squat and Gobble.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seen yesterday in Burlington, Vermont: a pub named What Ales You and a coffee shop named Uncommon Grounds.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 12:18 pm

Speaking of the BTV area, my customer would take us to a hole-in-the-wall called the Spanked Puppy in Colchester. Great hot-wings!

A bit closer to home is a Vietnamese soup place called Pho Kim Long, keeping in mind how you pronounce "Pho".

Originally Posted by Efrem
Seen yesterday in Burlington, Vermont: a pub named What Ales You and a coffee shop named Uncommon Grounds.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 2:04 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
There used to be a "Barca Lounge" in NYC somewhere, IIRC.

I've always found "Fatburger" to be apropos.

Last edited by ClueByFour; Mar 22, 2010 at 3:11 pm
Old Jun 28, 2004, 2:42 pm

Cool The Poor Mans Night Club

Select evenings in the parking lot of the Macau Ferry Terminal Hong Kong Island. Not just a place to get very unusual things to eat, but also a unique international Flee Market like you have never seen before. A fun night out when visiting Hong Kong.

Second name woild be of course " The Jumbo " A floating Restaurant not far away from the above, that seats 3,000 people on 3 different levels. To get their take a double decker bus feon the Star Ferry dock, sit on the upper level, for the ride of your life. Rollercoasters in the USA pale in comparison to this bus ride !!!!!
Old Jun 28, 2004, 3:10 pm

Programs: Uh, I think I got an extra packet of peanuts once.
There was one in Detroit called "Nacho Daddy". Also a favorite hangout for personnel at the hospital I used to work at was called "The Recovery Room".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.