Unusual / Funny Restaurant Names

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unusual / Funny Restaurant Names

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2004, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by amanuensis
Back in the 80's there WAS a bar named "The Library" in Tempe, AZ close to the campus of Arizona State University. Never been inside, so I can't say if it actually had anything to read.
Walked by that place last week. Still there. Some of my current customer's employees hang out there when they are in PHX on business.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 12:18 am

There used to be a kosher chinese place in LA called Shalom Hunan.

There's also a bar (which became a restaurant - so the name no longer works quite as well) in Santa Monica called Father's Office.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 12:22 am

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
Japanese restaurant in PDX...
Miso Hapi.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA
Of course there are all those coffee houses with interesting names:

Cuppa Joe, Jolt n' Bolt and Capitol Grounds -- all in DC, of course
Old Apr 28, 2004, 6:08 pm

Hung Far Low means....

Originally Posted by Mike Rivers
I was just browsing this thread wondering if someone would beat me to posting that place. I found it and ate there back in the '70's, and it was still around when I was in Portland a couple of years ago. The name struck me as humorous (for a Westerner) then and I still have a business card from them that I took with me for the same reason you took the photo.

Does anyone who understands the language know what the name means?
Assuming its phonetic Cantonese, which it seems to be, then it could be Red Flower Lounge/Place
Old May 2, 2004, 3:51 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
There is a restaurant at 2, The Mall in Bristol called 'Omnibus'. Not hilarious, but it takes a while to get the (admittedly feeble) joke.

Among the many Thai restaurants in Newtown, Sydney, there seems to be a contest to use the worst possible pun. Beau Thai, Thai Foon, Old School Thai, Thai Pinn... I believe that somewhere, there is even a 'Thai a Yellow Ribbon'...

Finally, and slightly off topic, a friend, who took a holiday in Bangladesh, returned with a photo of a blackboard advertising a restaurant: "Come and visit our lovely garden, far from the maddening crows!"
Old May 2, 2004, 3:55 am

And if we're allowed to mention pubs and bars...

One of my favourite images (as rough as the pub is) is a pub in Paisley (in the West of Scotland) called the 'Elbow Room'. They even have an extension called 'More Elbow Room'.

There are then numerous 'Drift Inn' type places. There is a pub on the Grassmarket in Edinburgh called the 'Last Drop'. This name obtains its macabre humour when you realise that it is so called due to the former presence of gallows just outside...
Old May 2, 2004, 12:12 pm

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
Originally Posted by stut
And if we're allowed to mention pubs and bars...

One of my favourite images (as rough as the pub is) is a pub in Paisley (in the West of Scotland) called the 'Elbow Room'. They even have an extension called 'More Elbow Room'.

There are then numerous 'Drift Inn' type places. There is a pub on the Grassmarket in Edinburgh called the 'Last Drop'. This name obtains its macabre humour when you realise that it is so called due to the former presence of gallows just outside...
There was a bar in SanFrancisco called 'Club Foot'.
Old May 2, 2004, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by HigherFlyer
There was a bar in SanFrancisco called 'Club Foot'.

Don't tread on me!
Your signature made that all the better...
Old May 2, 2004, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA
I forgot about all the "Thai"-ins.
A new restaurant in DC is Thai-tanic.

When I was a kid at the Jersey shore, there was a cafeteria-style restaurant that was part of a laundromat (coin operated washers and dryers to do your own laundry). It was all in one big room and it was called ....
The Washeteria. I used to think that was the coolest name (hey, I was a kid). Still giggle when I think of it.
Old May 3, 2004, 6:07 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
There's a bar / lounge close to our university campus called Plan B. Referring to lectures as Plan A, we find ourselves chosing Plan B more and more...
Old May 3, 2004, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by airoli
There's a bar / lounge close to our university campus called Plan B. Referring to lectures as Plan A, we find ourselves chosing Plan B more and more...
Strange you should say that - there's one just up the road in Brixton too...

There's a bar up the road from that called 'Tongue 'n' Groove', which I also like.

I had a pub in Toronto pointed out to me. It was called the Duke of Edinburgh, a pub staple as names go. Locally referred to as 'the Duke', it sports a massive mural of John Wayne...
Old May 3, 2004, 11:53 am

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach
How could I forget one of my college hangouts: Harry's Chocolate Shop (or The Chocolate Shop when talking to parents). During prohibition, Harry's was an ice cream parlor. After prohibition was repealed, it reverted back to being a bar, but the name stuck.
Old May 3, 2004, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by boilermaker
How could I forget one of my college hangouts: Harry's Chocolate Shop (or The Chocolate Shop when talking to parents). During prohibition, Harry's was an ice cream parlor. After prohibition was repealed, it reverted back to being a bar, but the name stuck.

I was just thinking about that one! (Admittedly it was tough explaining to the parents the Harry's "go ugly early" shirts...) Don't forget Suds...the bar next to the laundromat which was near Chauncey & State (I think)
Old May 4, 2004, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by HigherFlyer
the Letuce Entertain You chain in Chicago.
Some of their past restaurants include:

Bones (ribs)
Great Gritzbee's Flying Food Show
Jonathon Livingston Seafood
Lawrence of Oregano

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.