Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unusual / Funny Restaurant Names

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2004, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA
Forgot about this one in DC. Used to the med school's hangout at GWU in the 1980s:

"The 21st Amendment" -- the one that repealed Prohibition.
Old Jul 25, 2004, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by wingless
Cabbage and Condoms Bangkok, Thailand

Cabbage & Condom Restaurant
Sukhumvit, Soi 12
Main/Specialty: Thai. Very nicely laid out – Eat in or outside – no they are not balloons on the walls. Condom photos everywhere, with lots of condom paraphernalia adorning the walls etc. (Started by the Minister for Family Planning (Khun Mechai) several years ago to heighten the awareness of safe sex) Heaps on offer with an English Menu. This is an enticing restaurant – it welcomes you from the Soi; the ambience is quiet and the decorations ‘interesting’. The check/bill came with a condom.
Should go at least once, but, like most tourist places, food is mediocre. Tom yung goong is a good index food for Thai eateries- it sucks here.
Old Jul 25, 2004, 4:03 am

NYC: Cajun place owned and run by Asians: "How's Bayou"
Old Jul 25, 2004, 4:51 am

Oh yeah- there's another touristy kind of restaurant, Bangkok, Thailand, on Convent Rd., off Silom, near Patpong Night Market: Prik Kee Nuu

Means Rat Sh*t Chili (the truly hot variety)

Last edited by Peab0dy; Jul 25, 2004 at 5:14 am Reason: add address
Old Jul 25, 2004, 6:52 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Peab0dy
Oh yeah- there's another touristy kind of restaurant, Bangkok, Thailand, on Convent Rd., off Silom, near Patpong Night Market: Prik Kee Nuu

Means Rat Sh*t Chili (the truly hot variety)
Its not the most encouraging sight when you're halfway through your dinner and you look at the window to see the huge picture of a fat jolly-looking rat staring down at you

Also off Soi Convent is a restaurant called the Eat Me Art Restaurant, located upstairs of an art gallery of the same name. Apparently very popular with the gay clientele...
Old Jul 26, 2004, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA and Marriot
I was in Salzburg, Austria in 2000. While trying to find an Irish pub, I walked past a bar/club or whatever called HELL.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Not as hilarious but elegant in its simplicity is the lighted sign on a 50-foot pole posted at an exit on Westbound I-84 somewhere around Boise as I recall. It contains six letters only so is visible for upwards of a quarter mile:

E A T
G A S

Despite many trips on this Interstate, so far I've managed to resist the temptation to stop in. Any recommendations?
Old Jul 29, 2004, 2:16 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

How about "Air Raid Shelter," a bar in Tokyo (maybe Ueno?)
Old Jul 29, 2004, 4:00 pm

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach
Yesterday while driving on Hwy. 206 near Chester NJ, there was a roach-coach type vehicle parked near a VFW post called "The Wee Wee Wagon" (with a couple of dancing hotdogs painted on the side).

Last edited by boilermaker; Jul 30, 2004 at 7:29 pm
Old Jul 30, 2004, 11:03 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by DaDOKin DC
Forgot about this one in DC. Used to the med school's hangout at GWU in the 1980s:

One with the same name in San Francisco, site of an FT get together about a year or so ago.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 7:21 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

In Ueno, Tokyo there is a bar near the subway station called "The Church"
Old Aug 26, 2004, 1:26 pm
DG

Programs: AA Gold; NWA Silver
Near MIT

A Chinese eatery in Cambridge called Poo Poo Hot Pot. Somehow with that name, I did not go in.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 2:39 pm

Norman, Oklahoma has a bar named "The Library", right across the street from the OU campus.

There's a sandwich joint in OKC called "Someplace Else".

Neither is particularly suggestive of either cuisine or entertainment, but they do sorta spell out a student's choice, "Ya wanna go to the Library or Someplace Else?"
Old Aug 26, 2004, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
Legal Grounds, a store front law office and coffee bistro in east Dallas!
Old Aug 28, 2004, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by DaDOKin DC

Not a restaurant, but there's a jazz club in DC called "HR 57" - named for House Concurrent Resolution 57 honoring jazz as "a rare and valuable national American treasure"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.