FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "BBQ" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2004, 11:21 pm

Location: DCA, WP Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Best in Atlanta

Fat Matt's is just the kind of dump you'd expect top notch BBQ from if you're ever in Atlanta. Don't wear your suit there...
Old Apr 27, 2004, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Hotelfinder
Great BBQ and great sauce
http://www.supersmokers.com/
My all-time favorite, make sure you take a tour of the smoker at the IL restaurant! I also have to put in a vote for Dinosaur Barbecue in Syracuse, NY and I'm surprised no one mentioned Corky's in Memphis.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 10:15 am

Dreamland

Dreamland in Tuscaloosa/Birmingham

http://www.bhamdining.com/Reviews/review_dreamland.html
Old Apr 27, 2004, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Hotelfinder
Great BBQ and great sauce
http://www.supersmokers.com/
My all-time favorite, make sure you take a tour of the smoker at the IL restaurant! I also have to put in a vote for Dinosaur Barbecue in Syracuse, NY and I'm surprised no one mentioned Corky's in Memphis.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 12:08 pm

Programs: US lowlife
Thumbs up The Dino is where it's at for WNY....

Originally Posted by TWA Guy
You've got my vote for Dinosaur - that place is great. I haven't been to the one in SYR but ROC's got one too that's just amazing BBQ.

^ ^ ^ ^
Old Apr 27, 2004, 8:17 pm

Shorty's in Miami

Shorty's is the real thing. It's not in trendy South Beach, but in residential/shopping/plain old South Miami, US 1, South Dixie Hwy. It's been there forever and it's the best.
Old May 6, 2004, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Prior thread on this same topic, with lots of suggestions (and of course dissention):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309405

As mentioned in the above thread, Wise's BBQ in Jalapa, SC (about 3 miles from I-26, and absolutely worth the detour unless you detest a mustard based BBQ sauce) has by far the best sauce I have tasted. $7 all you can eat, incl. ribs and tea. FWIW, I believe Wise's predates the Columbia area spots with similar sauce (including Piggy Park).
Old May 9, 2004, 8:21 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mjm
Also, FYI, a huge thread on BBQ in Dining a few months back. Too lazy to search right now. Anyone...?

Mike
That would be the 8 pages of Southern BBQ listings here: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309405

Some droolishious reading.

just noticed that TRRed hyperlinked the same thread ^
Old May 10, 2004, 5:39 am

Free Speech

Originally Posted by greggwiggins
This is a deep subject; to begin with, what style of BBQ? There's Texas, Kansas City, North Carolina, South Carolina....

Maurice Bessinger has lost a lot of business by injecting his politics (which are more than a little Neanderthal) into the operation of his restaurants. See:

http://www.cnn.com/2000/US/09/27/confederate.sauce/

for details.
I totally disagree with Bessinger's viewpoint. But what does that have to do with really good BBQ and is he not entitled to his views under the First Amendment?

Last edited by hackensacknj; May 10, 2004 at 8:10 am
Old May 10, 2004, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by hackensacknj
I totally disagree with Bessinger's viewpoint. But what does that have to do with really good BBQ and is he not entitled to his views under the First Amendment?
It has nothing to do with really good BBQ, which Maurice's is; but the First Amendment doesn't apply since it's not the government that's trying to censor him, it's private citizens deciding that as a way of showing their disagreement with him, they won't buy his products.
Old May 10, 2004, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
I'm somwhat surprised that no one has mentioned Virgil's, just off of Times Square (NYC), almost in front of the Marriott Marquis. For NYC, it's surprisingly good food and much better prices than most of the places in the area that have waiter/waitress service.
Old May 11, 2004, 8:13 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TRRed
I'm somwhat surprised that no one has mentioned Virgil's, just off of Times Square (NYC), almost in front of the Marriott Marquis. For NYC, it's surprisingly good food and much better prices than most of the places in the area that have waiter/waitress service.
FYI, It has been mentioned a bunch in the NYC forum. Yes there is a NYC BBQ thread.
Old May 12, 2004, 1:20 pm

Without a doubt, it's Starnes BBQ in Paducah, KY. The place looks the same as it did in the '50s (not that I was there) - formica counters, stools, old time Pepsi bottles. The specialty is the pork shoulder but I also get the mutton sandwich when I'm there. OMG, think it's time for another 12 hour drive for me to load up!
Old May 12, 2004, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by hackensacknj
He is fully entitled to his views.

I am equally entitled to eat elsewhere.
Old May 12, 2004, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
My vote goes to the "McRib", currently available only in Germany I believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.