Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Good Hibachi Restaurants that arent named "Benihana" in your area?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good Hibachi Restaurants that arent named "Benihana" in your area?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2003, 5:19 pm

Our FAVORITE Japanese restaurant with a Tepan table is: KATSU in San Marcos, CA.
My husband is Japanese........

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll discuss it with my cat and get back to you
Old Dec 12, 2003, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ati2d:
Our FAVORITE Japanese restaurant with a Tepan table is: KATSU in San Marcos, CA.
My husband is Japanese........

</font>
Teppenyaki on HP tray tables, yummy

I've been to Katsu, not bad.

Benihana is far from the best Japanese restaurant I've ever been to. They're like Denny's of Japanese eateries.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 9:34 am

Habachi's not bad.

I sometimes take clients to these. They often don't go themselves and find it exotic and daring.

In Huntsville, AL I visited Tokyo. It has a seperate, large, sushi area, and then several habachi tables. I wound up going twice in a week.

The sushi was excellent. At the habachi table I had the seafood royal. Lobster, shrimp, scallops for $27. Very good. The chefs actually converse with us while going through the "show." In some, Kobe comes to mind, the chefs are very much going through the motions.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 7:51 pm

If you're in central/northern NJ:

Any one of the three "Shogun"s - (not really a 'chain', just three locations owned by the same family)

Shogun 18 - route 18 east brunswick
shogun 27 - route 27 kendall park
shogun 22 - route 22, (I forget the town, it's between scotch plains and watchung...)

I subsisted on Benihana when I was living on the west coast and craving hibachi (I'm an addict too) and Benihana fit the bill, but could NEVER live up to Shogun. Once I moved back east I was so glad to be near shogun again
Old Mar 20, 2004, 7:45 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
My two buds are big teppenyaki fans and think this restaurant is a very good one for this type of cooking.

JuRin Japanese Restaurant
Two locations:

1772 S. Randall Road, Suite 190
Geneva, IL 60134

588 Randall Road
South Elgin, IL 60177
Old Mar 20, 2004, 3:35 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
In El Paso, two very good ones

Japanese Kitchen/Sushi Bar
4024 N. Mesa
El Paso, TX 79902

Shogun Japanese Restaurant
1201 Airway Blvd.
El Paso, TX 79925

Not the best in the world, but very good for the price, especially Shogun

Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:29 pm

Benihana is interesting - but ...

Glad you enjoy Benihana. It can teeter between fun and annoyingly corny, depending on your chef. Sometimes it's even boring if your chef has no personality. It's interesting, but it's not Hibachi. A Hibachi is a small charcoal grill. Benihana is "teppan yaki" which is grilling on a big hot steel plate - usually fired by gas. It's a cuisine that blends western flavors with Japanese flavors, so I think of it as not authentic. But there are Teppanyaki places in Japan, so I've got to admit that it's "Japanese" even if it's a fairly recent hybrid invention.
Realy good Japanese food is tastier in a good Japanese restaurant.
I'm glad you're picking up tips, which is always fun. I like to cook too. Just realize that lots of the tips are not very Japanese. The last teppan place I went to fried everything in butter on the skillet. Butter is NOT a traditional Japanese cooking ingredient!
I think that Benihana is to Japanese food as Taco Bell is to Mexican food. It's cute, it's tasty, but it's not authentic. My friends from Mexico will eat Taco Bell because it's quick, cheap, and even tasty. But it's foreign food to them - an American invention - and not like anything they ate in Mexico.
Try a good sukiyaki cooked at your table in a traditional Japanese restaurant - where you sit around a low table on tatami mats - where the server in a kimono quietly tends to your needs and cooks your food before your eyes - now THERE'S a great show - not flashy, but far more satisfying for me.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 5:04 pm

Cool nice message

so you're a wise guy.[SIZE=3][COLOR=Teal] ^
Old Jun 8, 2005, 9:34 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
OK, I admit it, I don't understand the prior comment (#23).

Nonetheless, since the thread has been brought back to the forefront, I'll add:

Kanpai of Tokyo (upstate SC and I think TN)
Habachi Japanese Steakhouse (Westminster, CO)
Old Jun 9, 2005, 3:06 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by GrandeEater
Glad you enjoy Benihana. It can teeter between fun and annoyingly corny, depending on your chef. Sometimes it's even boring if your chef has no personality. It's interesting, but it's not Hibachi. A Hibachi is a small charcoal grill. Benihana is "teppan yaki" which is grilling on a big hot steel plate - usually fired by gas. It's a cuisine that blends western flavors with Japanese flavors, so I think of it as not authentic. But there are Teppanyaki places in Japan, so I've got to admit that it's "Japanese" even if it's a fairly recent hybrid invention.
Realy good Japanese food is tastier in a good Japanese restaurant.
I'm glad you're picking up tips, which is always fun. I like to cook too. Just realize that lots of the tips are not very Japanese. The last teppan place I went to fried everything in butter on the skillet. Butter is NOT a traditional Japanese cooking ingredient!
I think that Benihana is to Japanese food as Taco Bell is to Mexican food. It's cute, it's tasty, but it's not authentic. My friends from Mexico will eat Taco Bell because it's quick, cheap, and even tasty. But it's foreign food to them - an American invention - and not like anything they ate in Mexico.
Try a good sukiyaki cooked at your table in a traditional Japanese restaurant - where you sit around a low table on tatami mats - where the server in a kimono quietly tends to your needs and cooks your food before your eyes - now THERE'S a great show - not flashy, but far more satisfying for me.
I would be very interested if you could name a few good franchise concepts with either Japanese or Korean style yakiniku/sukiyaki/hibachi meat? Could be a US chain or a Japanese/Korean one. I have Asian and European friends who would like to export a winning concept to Europe in a joint venture so there would be "real" Japanese/Korean cooks and a lot of professional knowledge behind involved.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 9:50 am

I was in PIT for a wedding a few weeks ago and went to Nakama in the trendy southside area.
(Yeah, believe it or not trandy and PIT together in the same sentence).

Quite tasty and recommended.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:10 am

Programs: US lowlife
Hibachi in Downingtown, PA is pretty good.
Panda Heaven is a new hibachi-style restaurant that opened up in Reading that was good as well.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL Prisoner #347921
If ever in TLH

Try Osaka. Great tasting teppan yaki served in large portions. I never leave hungry, and I eat like a horse.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 5:03 pm

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
Geisha House in Vegas is my favorite.... mmmm scallops....
Old Jun 16, 2005, 7:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton-Lifetime Diamond, WN-Companion Pass, National-EE
San Jose, CA

I'm in AZ now, but grew up just outside San Jose. My family always enjoyed the fun environment and tasty cuisine at the House of Genji. Not going to get into an argument about authenticity. If it tastes great, and the company and environment are enjoyable...isn't that really the point?

House of Genji
1335 N 1st St
San Jose, CA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.