Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2016, 1:40 pm

Taking a trip to Tokyo on Friday and was able to reserve Sushi Mizutani and Pierre Gagnaire at lunch next week on relatively short notice.

The last time I dined at Mizutani was when they were 3*, and now they've become a 2*. Interested to see if there's really a difference from the last time to justify the drop in rating. Also, Pierre Gagnaire seems to be an amazing 2* value for a weekday lunch at just about US$40, so excited to try that one out. ^
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by United747
If you're ever up in Chicago (noticed you seem to be IND based), there are a lot of nice ones here. I personally like Tru a lot, I also had tea at the Peninsula which was nice.

In NY, I think lunch at Jean-Georges or Le Bernardin are nice places to start as they are "only" 2-3 courses are are not marathons like dinner at places like Tru or Guy Savoy can sometimes feel like.
+1 for Tru - my favorite dining experience that I have had in Chicago. Beats the pants off of Alinea.

Taking a trip to Tokyo on Friday and was able to reserve Sushi Mizutani and Pierre Gagnaire at lunch next week on relatively short notice.

The last time I dined at Mizutani was when they were 3*, and now they've become a 2*. Interested to see if there's really a difference from the last time to justify the drop in rating. Also, Pierre Gagnaire seems to be an amazing 2* value for a weekday lunch at just about US$40, so excited to try that one out.
I saw Mizutani got downgraded as well - was a bit surprised. Excellent sushi all around there (although I think Jiro is ever so slightly better)
Old Apr 15, 2016, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Xelint
Thanks I have stayed at that Peninsula but not done the tea. Chocolate buffet yes but not the tea ^

Appreciate the suggestions and may be in NY before Chicago so appreciate the suggestions.

X
Lunch at Jean Georges in NY could be a nice option.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:17 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Xelint
Thanks I have stayed at that Peninsula but not done the tea. Chocolate buffet yes but not the tea ^

Appreciate the suggestions and may be in NY before Chicago so appreciate the suggestions.

X
My apologies Xelint, the Lobby at the Peninsula is no longer Michelin starred - just checked the list.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
In Barcelona now. I finally secured a lunch reservation for El Celler off the waitlist, but AMEX concierge wasn't very helpful. I didn't use Citi because there were no Spanish restaurants mentioned on the Prestige concierge website. How did you even know to use Citi? You just called and asked?

Still hoping for Tickets. From their website, sounds like I have to call from 4-6pm to see last min reservation has opened up. I didn't think website would update as well.
Did you have any other reservations in Barcelona?

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Apr 22, 2016 at 6:10 am
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Did you have any other reservations in Barcelona? So far I am batting 0 - waited way too long now can't get a reservation at any of the two stars, much less Tickets.
My hotel was a few blocks from Lasarte, so we went there for dinner too. Not bad, but probably wouldn't recommend it given that it cost more than El Celler, and was more than 2x the cost of El Club Allard (2* in Madrid).

But I really wanted Tickets.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
My hotel was a few blocks from Lasarte, so we went there for dinner too. Not bad, but probably wouldn't recommend it given that it cost more than El Celler, and was more than 2x the cost of El Club Allard (2* in Madrid).

But I really wanted Tickets.
Maybe it is a good thing then as I really wanted to try Lasarte.

I just now got a confirmation from Abac, so I have that to look forward to now.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:10 pm

Booked Sushi Umi in Tokyo for Friday night dinner. Looking forward to it!
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Maybe it is a good thing then as I really wanted to try Lasarte.

I just now got a confirmation from Abac, so I have that to look forward to now.
I ate at Lasarte a few years back and it was one of my top dining experiences. Don't remember the cost but I felt it was reasonable. We had lunch at Cinq Sentits and I really enjoyed that meal. Very small and intimate restaurant with attentive service. The chef came out a few times to talk with us and explain a few dishes as well. It's 1-star and was about 25% less than Lasarte for a similar number of courses. He's Canadian so it was easy to talk with him.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by roknroll
I ate at Lasarte a few years back and it was one of my top dining experiences. Don't remember the cost but I felt it was reasonable. We had lunch at Cinq Sentits and I really enjoyed that meal. Very small and intimate restaurant with attentive service. The chef came out a few times to talk with us and explain a few dishes as well. It's 1-star and was about 25% less than Lasarte for a similar number of courses. He's Canadian so it was easy to talk with him.
Moments has now confirmed me also, so that should make for a pretty good week.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Anyone done Acadia in Chicago, especially after their 2nd star? I think this is next on my list.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:48 am

I see where Phillip Howard has sold The Square and will be leaving, if not already. Was not one of my favorites in London, though. Now that it will be managed by the same company that has The Greenhouse and Umu, I can't see returning any time soon.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:32 am

Moments has now confirmed me also, so that should make for a pretty good week.
Moments was 2/3 full last week (week day), were you on a waiting list ?
Old Apr 22, 2016, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by CGRA
Moments was 2/3 full last week (week day), were you on a waiting list ?
No, just couldn't crack their online booking system which kept telling me there was no availability.

If you ate there last week, how would you rate it?
Old Apr 22, 2016, 4:25 pm

No, just couldn't crack their online booking system which kept telling me there was no availability.

If you ate there last week, how would you rate it?
It was good. Not great. They have a "trip" menu with about 12 dishes where they give you a passport. This is a fun. A good restaurant but won't come back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.