Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2023, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Comp4k
The menu looks without question very good, but a can of caviar I find in the restaurant somewhat uncreative and from my point of view also little meaningful, I can eat at home for much less.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by sqyf
A very memorable meal. I've never dined at the regular tables in the Belcanto dining room, so I can't compare the Chef's Table experience there with the regular menu, but I would definitely recommend the Chef's Table for it's extensive tasting menu which includes favourites from Belcanto's menu over the years.

A full account of the meal can be found here (Link to external SQTalk site).
I had lunch at Belcanto in the dining room in 2019 with friends, there were 7 of us. It was pretty quiet, a few other older couples who were obviously tourists. We were there for a good time, tasting menu and gave the sommelier a budget and asked him to knock us out and we had a great time. The staff really appreciated we were there for a good time and really got into it, being very generous with the drinks and laughing away with us and ended up basically planning our night out in Lisbon for us.
corky, Fliar and sqyf like this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
The menu looks without question very good, but a can of caviar I find in the restaurant somewhat uncreative and from my point of view also little meaningful, I can eat at home for much less.
There’s potato mousseline and smoked haddock below the top layer of caviar.
Fliar, Kgmm77, TWA884 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 8:33 pm

Sorry, but some of the dishes would make me throw up.
I agree. That bird with the head still on it is barbaric. Don’t bring that to my table!
corky and offerendum like this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

There’s potato mousseline and smoked haddock below the top layer of caviar.
Ah, OK. Thanks for the clarification, that is of course something completely different and sounds very interesting.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 3:08 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
If you guys don’t want to face Chinese food preparation just don’t go to Chinese food restaurants. Or keep to Hakkasan. 🤷‍♂️
Fliar, FS_FRA, FlyerEC and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 11:13 pm

Ah, OK. Thanks for the clarification, that is of course something completely different and sounds very interesting.
Yup, haven't been to a Michelin restaurant where they just serve a tin of caviar plain. Usually some sort of seafood like crab or tuna hidden under.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 11:25 pm

Tairror, Taipei 2 Michelin Stars

Kabocha Pumpkin Veloute, Pu'er Tea

Watercress Cuttlefish Dumpling

Bonito, Century Egg Gribiche, Pomme Souffle

Hokkaido Kegani Crab, Smoked Aubergine, Hot & Sour Tomato

Quail Egg, Taro Puree, Sakura Shrimp

Sea Perch Braised Daikon, Miso-Scotch, Weightstone Wine Lees

Lamb Saddle

Pearl Meatball (Lamb)

Duck

Eight Treasure Cous Cous

Ricotta Whey Sago, Musk Melon Sorbet, Musk Melon Sake Soda

Mochi Wheel Pie, Dried Radish Shortbread, Corn Creme Chiboust

Tea biscuit, Longan Jelly
corky, Fliar, Kgmm77 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Yup, haven't been to a Michelin restaurant where they just serve a tin of caviar plain. Usually some sort of seafood like crab or tuna hidden under.
That's how it should be, but I've also seen plain caviar. But do not ask now where, I suppress.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:04 pm

Programs: some
Tarroir looks awesome, must try it. My last visit to Taipei (pre Covid) I visited Ephernite (1 star I think) but that was a disappointment
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Fliar
Tarroir looks awesome, must try it. My last visit to Taipei (pre Covid) I visited Ephernite (1 star I think) but that was a disappointment
I highly recommend Tairror, food excellent value for money in my opinion. Love all the different sauces, like the century egg “tartar” sauce.
Fliar likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 10:21 am

My wife and I went with friends to Chicago for 3 nights last weekend for a food trip.

01.19.23 - Moteverde (not Michelin but a must in Chicago)
01.20.23 - 2 Star Ever
01.21.23 - 3 Star Alinea

At Ever we did their wine pairing (only offer one option). We enjoyed the wines, loved the food, loved the staff. We were fortunate enough to get drinks at their bar "After" in their private room called "The Observatory" both after dinner and the next evening. One of the staff took a liking to us and set it up the following evening for us to meet Chef Curtis. He was VERY gracious with his time. He spent about 40min just talking to our party of 4 in the private room. Very down to earth guy and just fun to talk to.

At Alinea, we did the gallery and did their top tier wine pairing. This is my wife and I 2nd time at Alinea (previously we did the salon and middle wine pairing). This time around, which is 3-4 years after our first time, felt like a totally different experience. I chalk that up to: A) the gallery, B) the wine pairing and C) friends we went with. Chef Grant was there that evening and he started the dessert presentation at all tables in the gallery. Not able to get a picture with him but we were able to get our menu's signed by him (nerds, I know).
corky, HaleiwaFlyer and Comp4k like this.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 12:59 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer/Star Gold, QF Gold/Oneworld Sapphire
Last month, my wife, daughter and I went on an eating trip to Spain, and dined at Arzak, in San Sebastian, and Etxebarri, in Axpe-Atxondo, not far from Bilbao.

At Arzak, we were so stunned to be greeted at the entrance of the main dining room by Juan Mari Arzak himself that we forgot to ask for a photo with him.

We enjoyed their tasting menu with wine pairing...

...with many of the wines being special bottlings for Arzak...

Highlights of our meal included the cured fish...

...and a sublime pairing of roe deer and venison...

Towards the end of the meal, Elena Arzak came by the dining room and we had a nice chat with her -- a very warm and friendly person.

A wonderful meal that was one of the highlights of our stay in San Sebastian.

A week later we dined at Asador Etxebarri, located in Axpe-Atxondo.

We sampled their tasting menu, which had a total of 13 courses, including Palamos prawns, which were grilled and simply presented on a plate. Absolutely delicious...

We added several a la carte items to our tasting menu, including caviar...

...and Angulas (baby eels), which were in season...

Other courses included fresh anchovies...

Chorizo Tartar...

...and their signature Beef Chop...

Our meal at Etxebarri was truly memorable not just because of the cuisine, but because of the stunning location in Axpe-Atxondo, only 45 min drive from Bilbao, but it felt hundreds of miles away. Picturesque small town in a valley surrounded by mountains.

If dining there, I would strongly recommend spending the night before and/or after at Mendigoikoa Bekoa, a tavern located just 450m up the road from Etxebarri. The picture above is from the garden of Mendigoikoa Bekoa, overlooking the cluster of buildings around San Juan Plaza in Axpe, where Etxebarri is. Many folks just come over to Axpe from Bilbao for a meal at Etxebarri, or do a day trip from San Sebastian, but for us, staying in Axpe was part of the whole experience, and walking around Axpe, in perfect weather, before and after our extended lunch at Etxebarri was just wonderful.

Full details of both meals can be found in a trip report here (Link to external SQTalk site).
corky, work2fly, Bohemian1 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by sqyf; Apr 10, 2023 at 3:53 am
Old Apr 8, 2023, 3:22 am

Programs: some
No photos, sorry (not allowed and wouldn't want to anyway) but a brief report on Sushi Yoshitake (3*) in Tokyo. I used Tableall for my reservation (almost impossible otherwise).
This was a truly fantastic meal. Interestingly the (quite many) non-sushi dishes (there were about 8 'appetizers') were by far my favourites. Truly oustanding: some of the best snapper, squid and prawn (with a geneorous dollop of Beluga caviar) I have ever had in my life. By contrast, although some of the sushi dishes were exceptional (shard, horse mackerel), most -although still at the very top end- were not my preferred style. Overall I would give the meal a 96, which firmly places it in the 'exceptional (95-100) category. A real privilege.

(A very positive side note was that the sake was excellent and very reasonably priced. A rather negative one was that although I had already prepaid my meal, less than a week I was asked to pay an additional 3000 yen (about US$25). I found this very unprofessional)
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 7:58 am

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Fliar
No photos, sorry (not allowed and wouldn't want to anyway) but a brief report on Sushi Yoshitake (3*) in Tokyo. I used Tableall for my reservation (almost impossible otherwise).
This was a truly fantastic meal. Interestingly the (quite many) non-sushi dishes (there were about 8 'appetizers') were by far my favourites. Truly oustanding: some of the best snapper, squid and prawn (with a geneorous dollop of Beluga caviar) I have ever had in my life. By contrast, although some of the sushi dishes were exceptional (shard, horse mackerel), most -although still at the very top end- were not my preferred style. Overall I would give the meal a 96, which firmly places it in the 'exceptional (95-100) category. A real privilege.

(A very positive side note was that the sake was excellent and very reasonably priced. A rather negative one was that although I had already prepaid my meal, less than a week I was asked to pay an additional 3000 yen (about US$25). I found this very unprofessional)
Yoshitake is definitely more known for their Otsumami (appetizers) than their nigiris. I would love to go try their signature abalone. I tried the version at their HK outpost Sushi Shikon back in Feb
Fliar likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.