What's for dinner?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's for dinner?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2003, 11:40 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cblaisd:
It's a gloomy, rainy day in the Bay Area, so
I'm cooking a pot of chili, and making a pan of cornbread. I got a sack of Fritos at the store so I could have Chili Pie (an old friend from growing up and going to Texas elementary schools)

You?
</font>
I sooooo love Frito Pie!! You forgot to sprinkle cheese across the top, though!

Where in TX did you go to elementary school?

In my partying heyday in Texas, friends and I used to go to 7-eleven on our way home, while we VERY drunk and make Frito Pie directly in the bag using the hot-dog fixin's! (That was, of course, when we couldn't make it to Whataburger, the true drunk Texas boy's friend!!)
Old Jan 24, 2003, 1:07 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by robb:
I sooooo love Frito Pie!! You forgot to sprinkle cheese across the top, though! </font>
And the finely chopped onions

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Where in TX did you go to elementary school?
</font>
Ft. Worth.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> In my partying heyday in Texas, friends and I used to go to 7-eleven on our way home, while we VERY drunk and make Frito Pie directly in the bag using the hot-dog fixin's! (That was, of course, when we couldn't make it to Whataburger, the true drunk Texas boy's friend!!)
</font>
Whataburger paled in comparison to the old Merry Go Round drive in on Berry St.

But Frito Pie seemed an absolute gourmet delicacy compared to one of the items that used to appear on the public school lunches in the little west Texas down I lived in for a couple of years in the '80's: hotdog tacos. A boiled hotdog in a taco shell.

But on to better things (couldn't be hard to do): tonight's supper was a delicious rendition of Clay Pot Prawn at the Janya Thai restaurant in Clayton. Another very good restaurant comes to the nether reaches of the East Bay.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge VintageŽ) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by canard:

I took my parents there a couple of years ago, back when I used to live in that neighborhood -- we all loved it. How was your meal ? Did Marlowe join you ??

Tonight I ate tomato soup. (I had a big lunch).
</font>
Yes, Marlowe was present and very well-behaved.

The food was very good, as usual, though the service has gotten a bit snippy (and looooong) - we noticed this the last time when having dinner with ILuvParis.

They have opened up a smaller restauarnt around the corner on the rue Marie Stuart called PIG'Z - I hear it is not as good.

Old Jan 24, 2003, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cblaisd:
Whataburger paled in comparison to the old Merry Go Round drive in on Berry St.

But Frito Pie seemed an absolute gourmet delicacy compared to one of the items that used to appear on the public school lunches in the little west Texas down I lived in for a couple of years in the '80's: hotdog tacos. A boiled hotdog in a taco shell.
</font>
OH MY GOD... childhood flashback (my parents NOW live down the street from Paschal for point of reference). I can remember going to Mehl's Shoeland every six months to buy new ballet shoes back when we still lived at Eagle Mountain Lake and getting to go to the Merry Go Round. Always a treat.

I'm a huge Frito pie girl... at the moment, I that the best one around is at Sonic (that if you don't count the one my mom makes). I am always on the hunt for a better one though!
Old Jan 24, 2003, 7:01 am

Everyone in family has a cold, we are making homemade chicken noodle soup.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 7:08 am

Lived on Marigold St. Grew up on Frito Pie, favorite places to eat, the orginal Pig Stand followed by Angelos Bar B Que
Old Jan 24, 2003, 11:58 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
mmm. frito pie w/green chile.

I guess I know what we're having for dinner on saturday night.

tonight: probably some sort of chicken/tofu pad thai and some sort of vegetable to accompany.

I am beginning to really like making my own pad thai.

lala
Old Jan 24, 2003, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dudrop:
Lived on Marigold St. Grew up on Frito Pie, favorite places to eat, the orginal Pig Stand followed by Angelos Bar B Que</font>
mmmm... Angelos!

My parents live on Forest Park... practically right smack dab on the Park Hill circle. Short walk to TCU, shorter walk to Paschal.

I luv being a Fort Worth girl.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 4:18 pm
Uli

Ordered a pizza and a salad for my girl-friend. As it arrived, she was sleeping already
So I just ate a slice and now it´s all in the garbage ...
Old Jan 24, 2003, 5:31 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by techgirl:
mmmm... Angelos! My parents live on Forest Park... practically right smack dab on the Park Hill circle. Short walk to TCU, shorter walk to Paschal. </font>
Not too far from where the very first Taco Bell opened ~1970, iirc, @ Berry and Forest Park Blvd. Do you remember what Taco Bell's claim to marketing fame was when it opened? Every item on the menu was $.25. A few blocks from Ashburn's ice cream, now long and sadly defunct.

But back on-topic , tonight's, in celebration of our 3rd refinancing in 6 years will be mesquite-grilled steaks, Mrs. Cblaisd's homemade foccacia, and assorted accoutrements.

[This message has been edited by cblaisd (edited 01-25-2003).]
Old Jan 24, 2003, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not too far from where the very first Taco Bell opened ~1970, iirc, @ Berry and Forest Park Blvd. Do you remember what Taco Bell's claim to marketing fame was when it opened? Every item on the menu was $.25. </font>
I had NO idea that was the first! I still get drive-through from there all the time! I am a sucker for their tacos still although as they have gone national, they have toned down their spice content considerably.

We lived off the $.29 cent value menu when I was in high school... I think that it is the $.59 menu now.

My siser, OTOH, is a freak... she insists on going down to Jack In The Box (next to where the old Merry Go Round used to be) for their scary tacos whenever she is in town.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by techgirl:
...We lived off the $.29 cent value menu when I was in high school....</font>
When I was in college in Ft. Worth, we would go to the old (now gone) El Chicos on Berry St. near the Merry Go-Round (now site of the JITB, as you point out). It was before it was the large chain that it is now. You could get a bowl of chili for $79 -- and all the chips and corn tortillas you could eat. Add a free glass of water and it was a long-lasting meal for a poor college student.

[Edit: of course that should be $.79 ]

[This message has been edited by cblaisd (edited 01-25-2003).]
Old Jan 24, 2003, 6:51 pm

cblaisd and techgirl, was at the Stock Show this past weekend and ate at Joe T. Garica's.
Still in part of original bldg of 60+ years in the stock yards and food has not changed its still good! AHHHH the memories of old FTW
Old Jan 25, 2003, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge VintageŽ) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
You could get a bowl of chili for $79 -- and all the chips and corn tortillas you could eat.</font>
That's pretty steep for a bowl of chili - I hope it was good!

Tonight we are invited to dinner for an authentic feijoada feast prepared by a Brazilian expatriate - yum!

Old Jan 25, 2003, 8:19 am
Original Poster

The difference a dot makes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.