Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's for dinner?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2021, 10:51 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by corky
That sounds like the best one yet---mmmm.
Do you have any input because of dislikes or allergies or is it a no changes situation .
That was our thought as well. We'll see how it turns out.
Good question on the allergies. We don't have any so I didn't notice. I would imagine they'd have to account for that though.
corky likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by JBord
Tonight, final meal of our subscription series.On the menu: avec
  • Gem Lettuce Salad with Roasted Shallot Vinaigrette and Marcona Almonds
  • Chorizo Stuffed Dates with Bacon and Piquillo Pepper - Tomato Sauce
  • Paella with Confit Chicken, Smoked Sausage, Artichokes and Lemon Aioli
  • Lemon Meringue Tart
We've decided that, even if they continue the series, we won't participate. For the price, the meals were pretty good. But now that spring is near and restaurants here have re-opened, that's it for us. Got us through a couple months of winter lockdown!
That sounds like the best one yet---mmmm.
Do you have any input because of dislikes or allergies or is it a no changes situation .
Client input would be a great way to get the client to continue with the subscription!
in sf one similar service lets people pre-order their entree / sides choices, based on the centralized pickup location. So the client clicks the location, sees the offerings over a 4-day period, and then chooses which entrees & sides they would like. Every day has 3-5 participating restaurants so it would be possible to get a Mexican main, Japanese appetizer, Korean sides, and Malaysian / Thai dessert (or switch around ethnic adjectives). All ala carte. The only reason why Im not doing this is because I enjoy cooking even if the weekly emails bring much viewing joy.

Seriously, not necessary!
The Lannisters always pay their debts.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by gaobest
The Lannisters always pay their debts.
It has been paid. Over and over. And then some. Consider it paid in full. Please.
braslvr, cblaisd, corky and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 1:39 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Calibur cheeseburger & milkshake
bagel & lox
wild rice & white rice (they didnt turn purple!! Sad!!)
bok choy sauted in olive oil (thanks corky!!) with tofu, sauted chicken won tons, and leftover steak
Wild rice doesn't turn purple. Black rice, also known as forbidden rice, turns purple. Black rice is not the same as wild rice despite the fact that they both black in appearance.
corky likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Wild rice doesn't turn purple. Black rice, also known as forbidden rice, turns purple. Black rice is not the same as wild rice despite the fact that they both black in appearance.
thank you! The Trader Joes package says wild rice and looks black and now I know. I didnt look at the instructions at the shop, which suggest overnight soaking or 50-60 minutes of stovetop cooking. Wow. So of course I still must finish this (luxury) rice, which is $4.99/bag (1-lb) which is very above the normal edlp for Trader Joes canned products, most of which are $1-3 at most :-)
Ill seek out forbidden / black rice. I want the purple!!! I know that both Trader Joes and safeway (Albertsons) lack this product. One day Ill finish my frozen dim sum and can return to 99 ranch.
CoffeeTraveler likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 3:51 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
thank you! The Trader Joes package says wild rice and looks black and now I know. I didnt look at the instructions at the shop, which suggest overnight soaking or 50-60 minutes of stovetop cooking. Wow. So of course I still must finish this (luxury) rice, which is $4.99/bag (1-lb) which is very above the normal edlp for Trader Joes canned products, most of which are $1-3 at most :-)
Ill seek out forbidden / black rice. I want the purple!!! I know that both Trader Joes and safeway (Albertsons) lack this product. One day Ill finish my frozen dim sum and can return to 99 ranch.
I don't know what 99 ranch is, but I'm guessing it might be an Asian store. We typically buy black rice at whole foods, and it is not cheap, but I haven't looked at any of the Asian grocery stores, which is where we buy most of our rice in bulk, because we just don't need enough of it.
corky likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I don't know what 99 ranch is, but I'm guessing it might be an Asian store. We typically buy black rice at whole foods, and it is not cheap, but I haven't looked at any of the Asian grocery stores, which is where we buy most of our rice in bulk, because we just don't need enough of it.
Yes, it is an Asian market. I know rice has a shelf life and I am thinking that wild or black rice might have a shorter one than white or basamati.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it is an Asian market. I know rice has a shelf life and I am thinking that wild or black rice might have a shorter one than white or basamati.
oops - yes, 99 ranch is an Asian grocer. I am now pondering if Korean restaurants really has black rice to make their purple rice because theyre not charging that much for a bowl of rice... hmm. Anyway maybe I should just go to the Korean supermarket by the golf course to buy rice. I never really looked at their rice when my child was at golf summer camp but I definitely bought other gems there last summer :-)
Old Mar 10, 2021, 7:45 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
thank you! The Trader Joes package says wild rice and looks black and now I know. I didnt look at the instructions at the shop, which suggest overnight soaking or 50-60 minutes of stovetop cooking. Wow.
Wild rice is not rice; it's the seed of an aquatic grass native to North America. It is not related to rice and is only referred to as rice because it looks like rice (healthline).
estnet, corky, chgoeditor and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mixed green salad
salami sandwich on toasted Costco Parmesan bagel and Trader Joes Bomba spread but without arugula (doh!!! I forgot!!)
assorted Specialtys desserts (their blueberry streusel muffin has curry traces! Argh on this twisted contamination)...

Originally Posted by TWA884
Wild rice is not rice; it's the seed of an aquatic grass native to North America. It is not related to rice and is only referred to as rice because it looks like rice (healthline).
this is blowing my mind. I feel so confused. Im sober. How is wild rice not rice. Wow. And it was next to white rice and basmati rice in Trader Joes. I am confused.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 11:06 pm

Purple rice

H-Mart is also a good place to get purple/black rice. Very different from wild rice, to confirm. We use a ratio of 1 cup minus a tablespoon of medium grain white rice (such as Calrose) to one tablespoon of purple/black rice. A little goes a long way!
LapLap and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CoffeeTraveler
H-Mart is also a good place to get purple/black rice. Very different from wild rice, to confirm. We use a ratio of 1 cup minus a tablespoon of medium grain white rice (such as Calrose) to one tablespoon of purple/black rice. A little goes a long way!
thank you! I screenshot this and its part of my Rice - Purple / Black! Pdf on my phone. Ill eventually figure it out after I find the black forbidden rice that is not wild rice. I learn so much here :-)
Old Mar 11, 2021, 5:49 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Tonight will be the last of the yellowfin tuna that I caught last summer. I prefer simple preparations of fish. This one will be marinated in ginger and teriyaki before being lightly grilled.
I haven’t decided on sides or wine accompaniments yet.
In any case, great memories of a beautiful 2 days of fishing in Louisiana. Day one was the tuna and mahi mahi. Day 2 was red snapper, amberjack and grouper.
estnet, corky, FlyerEC and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:15 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

this is blowing my mind. I feel so confused. Im sober. How is wild rice not rice. Wow. And it was next to white rice and basmati rice in Trader Joes. I am confused.
I think it's a pretty minor distinction. Rice and wild rice are both seeds from grain plants. If it's a grain seed that looks like rice, tastes similar to rice, and you use it like rice, I'm not sure it's more meaningful than being a good trivia question. Of course we eat other grains that aren't rice but they don't look like rice.

If you really want your mind blown, start a list of all the "vegetables" that are really fruits. We all know things like tomatoes are technically a fruit, so I know I'm not revealing some secret truth here. But a fruit is basically any kind of seed pod. Anything with seeds inside it is a fruit -- peppers, tomatoes, avocados, etc. The list gets long pretty quickly. I tried it once and realized that not only is guacamole basically a fruit salad, but I have too many fruits and not enough vegetables in my diet .
corky and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA

Last night we had baked bone in pork chops brushed with bbq sauce and roasted broccoli and Brussels sprouts. It was so good one of the cats tried to steal my housemates chop as she was eating it.
corky, bensyd and JBord like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.