Search

2024 tomato shortage?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2024, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
What are key signs that would suggest a better tasting fruit?
ugly appearance if it’s a large fruited type. If it’s small fruited generally the smaller the sweeter. Zebra striped types tend to have an umami flavor.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Earlier this winter, I had a few Trader Joe’s runs with no cherry/grape tomatoes on the shelves, and one of the grocery delivery companies here also showed none in stock at that time. Hasn’t been an issue here lately though.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
ugly appearance if it’s a large fruited type. If it’s small fruited generally the smaller the sweeter. Zebra striped types tend to have an umami flavor.
Do I understand correctly an ugly appearance might be the better tasting tomato? Ugly being shape not bruised or such
Old Mar 15, 2024, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Do I understand correctly an ugly appearance might be the better tasting tomato? Ugly being shape not bruised or such
Yes but by strain, not by individual fruit. Things like beefsteak tomatoes have been crossbred to have a regular shape and durable shelf-life at the expense of texture and flavor. I mostly give up on eating tomatoes in the Chicago winter when I can't get locally grown heirlooms. Some of the cherry and grape tomatoes are just fine though as another poster suggested.
YVR Cockroach likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
No shortages noticed in NC
Old Mar 15, 2024, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whole foods this morning. Plus a free standing table piled with heirlooms and more baskets on another table.
OP must live in the wrong place.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 4:09 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by _kurt
Yes but by strain, not by individual fruit. Things like beefsteak tomatoes have been crossbred to have a regular shape and durable shelf-life at the expense of texture and flavor. I mostly give up on eating tomatoes in the Chicago winter when I can't get locally grown heirlooms. Some of the cherry and grape tomatoes are just fine though as another poster suggested.
Chicago person here, for good tasting/texture tomatoes during the winter, I only buy heirlooms or a few certain select brands of cherry tomatoes that are consistently good throughout the year.

Per the topic of the thread, I've not noticed any shortages
Old Mar 17, 2024, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by corky
OP must live in the wrong place.
no disputing that, for this and a litany of other reasons off topic to this particular thread. Our stores have looked nothing like that.

tomorrow I’m going to see what Sprouts has, hopefully their stock will be stronger. Other than nasty on the vine medium rounds and green gassed Florida jumbos, the only thing I’ve occasionally seen in our stores are the greenhouse grown heirloom beefsteaks from Mexico.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
no disputing that, for this and a litany of other reasons off topic to this particular thread. Our stores have looked nothing like that.

tomorrow I’m going to see what Sprouts has, hopefully their stock will be stronger. Other than nasty on the vine medium rounds and green gassed Florida jumbos, the only thing I’ve occasionally seen in our stores are the greenhouse grown heirloom beefsteaks from Mexico.
Farmers market maybe?
I just accept that at certain times of the year I won't get good slicing tomatoes & stick to the cherry/grape little ones. Compari are ok too for store bought. But for really good caprese or BLT worthy I do farmers market in the spring and summer.
braslvr and _kurt like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by _kurt
Yes but by strain, not by individual fruit. Things like beefsteak tomatoes have been crossbred to have a regular shape and durable shelf-life at the expense of texture and flavor.
You forget ability to be transported.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.