Search

2024 tomato shortage?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2024, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
2024 tomato shortage?

I have noticed the past 2-3 months in northern California that it has become increasingly difficult to find tomatoes, specifically, cherry/grape/cocktail tomatoes like Zimas, Constellations, etc. from NatureSweet and other competing brands. I have not seen much press about this issue...am I experiencing a regional anomaly, or are other parts of the USA also seeing tomato shortages?

I'm guessing this has to do with weather patterns in Mexico and south Florida where most of the winter crop is grown, but again I have not seen much press on the topic.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:08 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
We've had no issues finding them here, FWIW, nor have I seen increased prices.

Still find strawberries to be far more intermittent in availability than pre-pandemic, though--at least at Costco. Grocery stores almost always have them, albeit at higher cost.
corky likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
We've had limited to no supply of cherry tomatoes at Sam's or Costco. We can find some at HEB (our local grocery store), but they are about twice the normal price.

When I lived in Arizona, we used to start harvesting cherry tomatoes around this time (I had a memory come up last week of some harvested cherry tomatoes). So I'd expect things to pick up shortly.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm
We've had limited to no supply of cherry tomatoes at Sam's or Costco. We can find some at HEB (our local grocery store), but they are about twice the normal price.

When I lived in Arizona, we used to start harvesting cherry tomatoes around this time (I had a memory come up last week of some harvested cherry tomatoes). So I'd expect things to pick up shortly.
Interesting datapoint. This further underscores potential production challenges in Mexico which primarily sources the western US while south Florida would be a bigger driver of east coast availability.

Tomatoes are produced basically 365 days a year in Sinaloa and Nayarit states of MX (under plastic or lowtech glasshouse production schemes).
Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not at all...if anything I was noticing yesterday that Ralph's and Trader Joe had more varieties than I can ever remember...mostly of the little ones (cherry, grape, cherubs, constellation, baby heirloom etc). I usually stick with Compari this time of year for slicing tomatoes. My local farmer's markets are also loaded with tomatoes including beefsteak and every kind of heirloom. I think lots of them come from the San Diego area.
gaobest likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Interesting datapoint. This further underscores potential production challenges in Mexico which primarily sources the western US while south Florida would be a bigger driver of east coast availability.

Tomatoes are produced basically 365 days a year in Sinaloa and Nayarit states of MX (under plastic or lowtech glasshouse production schemes).
It is fairly recent here, just over the past 2-3 weeks the shortage started.

I just googled, "cherry tomato shortage," and found this:
ALERTS_combined_FreshPoint.pdf

In a nutshell, it basically said that grape and cherry varieties are on alert status due to lack of availability out of Mexico and Florida.

The farms near Yuma should be producing soon, as long as there are workers to harvest. I think tomatoes have to be harvested by hand.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I’ve not noticed any limits plus canned tomatoes are widely available. Doubt that Campbells took them all for boosting Rao’s marinara production :-)
Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like an opportunity to grow tomatoes. Some varieties do very well in containers. If space permits a small raised bed garden would be another option.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
No shortages around here, but I rarely buy tomatoes this time of year - occasionally something from a hothouse that resembles and almost tastes like a tomato, but ... oh strike that first sentence, as I will be going to the great Deep Deep Deep South next week, where it will be early fall, with fresh and tasty tomatoes. 20-some years ago, someone from Buenos Aires (living in the USA) asked me what was up with tomatoes in the USA, as in why they look so nice, but have no flavor.

Even during season, I am typically particular in my tomato purchases. Once they get overchilled (as in what pretty much every supermarket chain is going to do at some point during distribution), the flavor dies.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tomatoes destined to many grocery stores are pick before ripe then treated with ethylene gas to turn them red. Accounts for the less than great flavor of many tomatoes.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

maybe I should've prefaced my post by stating that in a previous life I was a tomato geneticist, so I'm very familiar with the travails of buying tomatoes from a regular grocer. that said you can find some acceptable stuff if you know what you are looking for. i cannot grow tomatoes yet in my climate, though with temps in the 70's for the next several days, if they stay there, i will probably plant my early plants for 2024 in about 3 weeks then another wave of planting in about 3-4 weeks after that.

cherry and cocktail tomatoes are not picked green and gassed. but other types, yes, this can be an issue.
RetiredATLATC likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
We've had limited to no supply of cherry tomatoes at Sam's or Costco..
I bought a container of cherry tomatoes at one of the Albuquerque Sam’s Clubs last Saturday.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 7:08 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
No shortages around here, but I rarely buy tomatoes this time of year - occasionally something from a hothouse that resembles and almost tastes like a tomato, but ... oh strike that first sentence, as I will be going to the great Deep Deep Deep South next week, where it will be early fall, with fresh and tasty tomatoes. 20-some years ago, someone from Buenos Aires (living in the USA) asked me what was up with tomatoes in the USA, as in why they look so nice, but have no flavor.

Even during season, I am typically particular in my tomato purchases. Once they get overchilled (as in what pretty much every supermarket chain is going to do at some point during distribution), the flavor dies.
A combination of ability to resist handling/shipping and the fact that consumers hate "ugly" produce is sadly the reason the majority of tomatoes are such crap in the US.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I just went grocery shopping today and Whole Foods here in the Northeast had like 5 or 6 different types of cherry tomatoes, including one for sale.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
maybe I should've prefaced my post by stating that in a previous life I was a tomato geneticist, so I'm very familiar with the travails of buying tomatoes from a regular grocer. that said you can find some acceptable stuff if you know what you are looking for. i cannot grow tomatoes yet in my climate, though with temps in the 70's for the next several days, if they stay there, i will probably plant my early plants for 2024 in about 3 weeks then another wave of planting in about 3-4 weeks after that.

cherry and cocktail tomatoes are not picked green and gassed. but other types, yes, this can be an issue.
What are key signs that would suggest a better tasting fruit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.