Wiki Posts
Search

Odd old recipes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2022, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Odd old recipes

I stumbled across this one in an old cookbook called Hospitality: Recipes and Entertainment Hints for All Occasions by Mary Mason Wright. I love reading old cookbooks.Popcorn Canapes

1 cupful good milk

1 teaspoonful salt

3 boned sardines

1 tablespoonful flour

1 tablespoonful tomato

1 tablespoonful butter

Catsup

A pinch of red pepper

1 teaspoonful Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoonful cheese

Fresh popcorn

Make a cream sauce with the butter, flour and milk. Stir until smooth and thick, then season; to this add the boned sardines, and enough freshly popped corn to make a good paste to spread. Cut hot buttered toast into squares and circles and spread with this paste.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The oddest of odd old recipes to me is this one I stumbled on a ways back. I seem to remember it being from someone's mom's church cookbook in the 1960s. It's amazing that people thought this is what Japanese food was. Or maybe dear old Preta was just not a good cook.

Old Apr 22, 2022, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Special Special Spices...

I suppose after those you wouldn't notice what you are eating.

It's really interesting to look in old cookbooks what people thought other cultures ate when there was so little contact between them. Makes me curious as to what other cultures would label as "American" dishes.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cloudship
I stumbled across this one in an old cookbook called Hospitality: Recipes and Entertainment Hints for All Occasions by Mary Mason Wright. I love reading old cookbooks.Popcorn Canapes
First, have you tried making this???
Second, I enjoyed the "tablespoonful of tomato" yet no measurement of catsup.

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
The oddest of odd old recipes to me is this one I stumbled on a ways back. I seem to remember it being from someone's mom's church cookbook in the 1960s. It's amazing that people thought this is what Japanese food was. Or maybe dear old Preta was just not a good cook.
I have a feeling 10 different people could make this recipe and end up with 10 very different meals.

Anyway, good thread. I'm going to have to look at some of my mom's old cookbooks next time I'm there.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
First, have you tried making this???

I have a feeling 10 different people could make this recipe and end up with 10 very different meals.

Anyway, good thread. I'm going to have to look at some of my mom's old cookbooks next time I'm there.
No. And not planning on it, either.

Although, I have tried popcorn as cereal in the morning. With a decent helping of butter and salt it actually isn't that bad, so it might not end up being as bad as I imagine.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 5:42 pm

Programs: Programs? I don't need no stinking programs
Originally Posted by JBord
The bit that got me was:
to this add the boned sardines, and enough freshly popped corn to make a good paste to spread.
How on earth does adding popcorn to something make it into a spreadable paste? Alchemy perhaps?

Now I have "Lime Jell-O Marshmallow Cottage Cheese Surprise" running through my head.
JBord likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 7:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Old recipes used here but not actually odd , difficult to find some of end delicious kueh / cakes these days

Little tea spread at Intan House , Singapore

FlyerTalker from Colorado arranged this Peranakan home museum tour , we had a blast checking out the plethora of antiques

Old Jul 5, 2023, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Old recipes used here but not actually odd , difficult to find some of end delicious kueh / cakes these days

FlyerTalker from Colorado arranged this Peranakan home museum tour , we had a blast checking out the plethora of antiques
Interesting that you mentioned this... A YouTube food tour guy posted this recently... In Joo Chiat near Dunman.. Savoury, but still...
​​​​​​
Old Jul 13, 2023, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerEC

That was a fun visit to The Intan with FlyerEC! Lovely Nyonya Kueh cakes!
StuckInYYZ and FlyerEC like this.

Last edited by Lori_Q; Jul 15, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Old Jul 17, 2023, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let me take you back to Spain, 1983, for an “Ensalada China” (Chinese Salad)

Ingredients:
100grams prawns/shrimps
1 cucumber
1 pepper (no colour specified, photo shows green)
1 chicken breast
2 slices of sweet ham
1 large spoon of dried mushrooms
Sugar
Oil (unspecified)
Black pepper

1. Boíl the chicken breast in salted water. Once cooked, discard skin and cut in very small little pieces.
2. Soak the mushrooms in tepid water so that they expand. Cut the cucumber, the pepper, the mushrooms and the ham slices.
3. Mix all the ingredients together and season/dress them with oil, black pepper and a pinch of sugar.

From “La Cocina Y Su Arte” by Jesus Manuel Martínez
Old Jul 17, 2023, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's really interesting to look in old cookbooks what people thought other cultures ate when there was so little contact between them. Makes me curious as to what other cultures would label as "American" dishes.
Worth knowing that there isn’t a Spanish word for “cranberry”. Arándano is generally used for blueberry, to get the cranberry concept across one can specify arándano rojo.
The ingredient list in the books doesn’t mention arándanos. For anyone in the 1980s (and even now) using this recipe, it’s blueberry jam.

Turkey with Jam

1 turkey
1 slice of tocino (very fatty bacon) to cover/saddle
5 large carrots
Half kilo of stuffing (unspecified)
2 truffles
Quarter litre of dry white wine
200g of cream
250g of blueberry jam
salt & pepper

1. Finely chop the truffles, add them to the stuffing and fill the turkey. Sew it up well, with kitchen thread, and saddle the turkey with the fatty bacon.
2. Place the stuffed turkey in the oven (no temperature given) in a large heatproof container with chopped carrot, onion cut into large pieces and quarter of a litre of water. Baste the turkey frequently as it cooks and turn it upside down.
3. At the end of the cooking time, take off the fatty bacon saddle and allow it to bronze/become golden all over.
4. Remove the turkey to somewhere warm and deglaze the cooking juices with the white wine. Bring it to boil and then liquidise everything in the container together. Season with salt and pepper and combine with the cream. Reheat this sauce using the bain marie method and serve the turkey* with this sauce and the blueberry jam.

A note elsewhere says turkey to be cooked for 35 minutes per kilo.

* there’s a typo so that it says duck rather than turkey here.

…pato con esta salsa y con mermelada de arándanos.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 11:47 pm

that doesn't really look like a delicious meal to me... But I guess you would have to try it to really know how it tastes, maybe it would be surprisingly tasty? However, I hate sardines, so I don't think I would enjoy eating that
Old Aug 3, 2023, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Flygande Jakob (Flying Jacob)

Ingredients

• cooked chicken breast pieces enough for 3-4 people
  • 200 ml cream
  • 100 ml milk
  • salt
  • ground black pepper
  • 50 ml chilli ketchup (I used ketchup with a good squirt of jalapeno ketchup in it)
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • 2 bananas
  • 150 g bacon
  • 35 g salted peanuts

Instructions

• In a bowl, mix the cream, milk, salt, pepper, chilli ketchup, curry powder. Pour over the chicken. Slice two bananas and add to the top.

Wait, it gets worse. Bear with us.

• Pop it in the oven on 175C for around 20 minutes. Meanwhile, fry the bacon until nice and crisp. Chop into bite-sized pieces. Remove the dish from the oven, add the bacon to the top along with about the salted peanuts.

We did tell you it would get worse, didn’t we?

• Serve with rice.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Flygande Jakob (Flying Jacob)
This reminds me of some of the more vile contemporary versions of English “Coronation Chicken” which dates to 1953, still part of the post war food rationing era
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronation_chicken

Versions such as this one, which is excruciating
https://www.readersdigest.co.uk/food...it-for-a-queen
Old Aug 6, 2023, 12:06 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by LapLap
This reminds me of some of the more vile contemporary versions of English “Coronation Chicken” which dates to 1953, still part of the post war food rationing era
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronation_chicken

Versions such as this one, which is excruciating
https://www.readersdigest.co.uk/food...it-for-a-queen
DRIED MANGO with chicken????!!!!!! How vile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.