Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking? - 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2022, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
When I was a student at a university in Rochester, NY, the usual beer options at parties were Keystone Light or Genny Light. Both are equally disgusting.

I don't know why I was so set on trying this or what I expected. I should have known better. Blah.

-J.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by work2fly
Genesee was one of the first beers I tasted, coming of age in NE Ohio, and while it was my grandpa's favorite beer, I didn't care for it at all.

I was equally disappointed with Olympia, which was pretty much unavailable in Ohio, and somewhat of a forbidden fruit. Blech!

The one "old-timers" beer I thought was pretty good is Labatts 50. I can't find it here in CA though.
I lived in Denver in 1976-77. At the time, Coors was only distributed in 10 western states and had a cult reputation back east where I’d come from. A fellow transplant wouldn’t drink the stuff and had me try an Olympia. Blech. I went back to Coors for the remainder of my stay.

Genesee falls in the category of “Dad beers”, none of which appealed to me: Rheingold, Schlitz, Miller High Life, Piels, and so on.
work2fly likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I decided to try one more can of the Cream Ale -- maybe there was something wrong with the can I had yesterday.

Wasn't worth it -- poured it out after two sips.

-J.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by BamaVol

Genesee falls in the category of “Dad beers”, none of which appealed to me: Rheingold, Schlitz, Miller High Life, Piels, and so on.
"Dad beers". I love it! Don't forget the "Dadliest" one of all, Burgie. Also Falstaff, Regal Select, and Fischer. Hamms is probably in there too, but it was actually quite good back in the 70s.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by braslvr
"Dad beers". I love it! Don't forget the "Dadliest" one of all, Burgie. Also Falstaff, Regal Select, and Fischer. Hamms is probably in there too, but it was actually quite good back in the 70s.
Never heard of any of those. Where were they from?

The Dad beers to me were always Special Export, Heineken, MGD, and maybe Old Style. Though Old Style was also always the beer you drank at Cubs games...
Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Never heard of any of those. Where were they from?

The Dad beers to me were always Special Export, Heineken, MGD, and maybe Old Style. Though Old Style was also always the beer you drank at Cubs games...
You're not old enough. We're talking Dads in the 50s - 60s.
Heck, MGD and especially Heineken are still popular now, among all ages.
Hamms is widely available as a discount beer, but it doesn't resemble the original in any way.
BamaVol likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by braslvr
You're not old enough. We're talking Dads in the 50s - 60s.
Heck, MGD and especially Heineken are still popular now, among all ages.
Hamms is widely available as a discount beer, but it doesn't resemble the original in any way.
Yes, I was born in 53. My dad hosted poker night one Wednesday every month and the fridge would fill up with quarts of cheap beer throughout the 60’s. I would sneak a taste and thought they all tasted like mushrooms.

Tne exception for me was Ballantine Ale. It was an IPA available across the US in the 60’s. My wife’s grandmother, a farm girl from upstate New York, would drink it. I tried it and recall enjoying it because it was different.
braslvr likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Yikes! I have trouble enough with pickle flavored potato chips. Nice pun, btw.
I was worried the pun went unnoticed (punnoticed?). The pickle beer is nice occasionally but a bit much to have more than one in a session.

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Genesee Cream Ale. Have been wanting to try this for about a decade now. Very disappointed, and now stuck with nearly a case (24-pk).

-J.
That’s certainly a commitment. Hope you can bring it to a party or something and find someone who wants to take it home

Marble Brewing Safeword IPA. Mostly purchased for the name but it’s pretty tasty if a bit solventy from the 7.5% ABV. Very fruity hop profile but balanced by classic resiny hop flavors.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 23, 2022 at 2:23 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:24 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Sculpin, this time one pint at a time.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CoffeeTraveler
That’s certainly a commitment. Hope you can bring it to a party or something and find someone who wants to take it home
That would make me a bad friend I am going to a party soon but I don't think any of them would really want to drink this.

I do have a friend who would probably like it, but I won't be seeing him for several months.

-J.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:49 pm

That would make me a bad friend I am going to a party soon but I don't think any of them would really want to drink this.

I do have a friend who would probably like it, but I won't be seeing him for several months.

-J.
Hmm, could be good as a beer pong beer. One doesn’t exactly the play that with craft beers.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:22 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by CoffeeTraveler
Hmm, could be good as a beer pong beer. One doesn’t exactly the play that with craft beers.
Beer pong? How about beer bong!
Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I made a chelada (a simple michelada) using the Cream Ale, some V8 low-sodium hot-n-spicy juice, and some salt and hot sauce. It was very drinkable, although I know it's the wrong kind of beer (though it works, I guess).

-J.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I made a chelada (a simple michelada) using the Cream Ale, some V8 low-sodium hot-n-spicy juice, and some salt and hot sauce. It was very drinkable, although I know it's the wrong kind of beer (though it works, I guess).

-J.
That’s quite inventive. Not that such a beverage would get within a foot of my lips, however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.