Wiki Posts
Search

Papa John's Pizza Is Disgusting

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2021, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by JBord
I thought that was a Chicago thing! I haven't ever heard someone order it that way anywhere else. Good to know I won't get laughed at if I do that somewhere else.
I usually order my Jet’s Detroit style pizza well done.
csufabel and JBord like this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
I thought that was a Chicago thing! I haven't ever heard someone order it that way anywhere else. Good to know I won't get laughed at if I do that somewhere else.
I don't hesitate to do it in places that I already know make it a bit underdone for my liking.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Seems you let the wrong person order the pizza.

I’ve had PJ pizza a couple of times. Probably 8+ years ago. Didn't stand out one way or the other.

I’m not horribly picky, though. I’m fine with Costco, Pizza Hut or Domino’s.
Originally Posted by TravelForum
Color me one to go against the grain here. I love Papa John's pizza. You said it was soggy. Perhaps you may have just gotten a bad pie? I always ask for our pizzas (from all places) to be made 'well done' as we like the crunchiness of a pizza that is a little more done.

Occasionally, we'll get a pizza (from all places) that doesn't live up to expectations, but I don't refuse to go back there based on a one-off experience.
I've had PJ's pizza in several countries... they were all fine (except the one I had in China... the taste was off (I assume the ingredients were local as they had a taste similar to local ingredients). A PJ opened up recently nearby. Haven't decided to try it or not but maybe one day just to see.

For me it depends on the chain. Pizza Huts here tend to be a tad soggy so I generally order it well done there (also for Pizza Nova). But the others here (IME) generally do crisp up the skin a bit.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I was almost longing for a piece of 1979 High School pizza, which in retrospect, was nearly Chez Panisse quality compared to Papa John's..
OMG! Are you referring to rectangles with a bit of cornmeal on the crust to prevent sticking to pan? I LOVED that crap!!!
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
As a former Papa John's General Manager let me illuminate a couple things. You ordered crappy chain pizza on a holiday. Want to guess who was working that day and why they were forced to work it? I'm sure no one did the things you have to do in order to make it halfway decent. On holidays it's either mind numbingly boring or insanely busy, either of which will degrade product quality. Crappy chain pizza will never be as good as real pizza made by someone who actually cares, just like you aren't going to get the same burger from McDonalds that you will at a place with a chef. I put Papa John's behind Pizza Hut but ahead of Domino's and way ahead of Little Caeser's.
Badenoch and Kamalaasaa like this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

Did I mention how disgusting the Papa John's pizza is? I'm surprised Mama Celeste didn't assassinate him.
Ah, the memories. I consumed far too much Papa John's in the mid-90s whilst watching NBA playoffs with a group of fellows. At that point in my life, I found the pizza to be...edible. But the star of the order was always the breadsticks. Well, to be precise, the garlic butter dipping sauce that came with the breadsticks. Many an ounce of that sauce found its way onto the pizza as well, and thence my stomach.

Nowadays, yeah, I can't get within a mile of that stuff without suffering gastric consequences.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
As a former Papa John's General Manager let me illuminate a couple things. You ordered crappy chain pizza on a holiday. Want to guess who was working that day and why they were forced to work it? I'm sure no one did the things you have to do in order to make it halfway decent. On holidays it's either mind numbingly boring or insanely busy, either of which will degrade product quality. Crappy chain pizza will never be as good as real pizza made by someone who actually cares, just like you aren't going to get the same burger from McDonalds that you will at a place with a chef. I put Papa John's behind Pizza Hut but ahead of Domino's and way ahead of Little Caeser's.
I don't disagree with anything you said, except that I didn't order anything. And after this experience, even if I imagined that this product, using the same ingredients but somehow made with love and a magic wand, could be made better, it would still not be very good.

All that said, the other three, who were consuming more fermented and/or distilled beverages than I was, effed up everything else, other than the one slice I consumed, along with a piece of the Stuffed Jumbo Spicy Roach (I think it was some jalla peeno popper thing), which was less bad than the pizza.

The pizza was Ay Trow Shus.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Pizza of any kind is about the least healthy thing one could ever eat. Loads of enriched white flour, processed meats, low-grade cheese and little or no veggies. So, I suppose arguing which is the worst of the worst is a worthy discussion but not one that matters to me. Even "good" pizza is a crappy thing to eat.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtofell
Pizza of any kind is about the least healthy thing one could ever eat. Loads of enriched white flour, processed meats, low-grade cheese and little or no veggies. So, I suppose arguing which is the worst of the worst is a worthy discussion but not one that matters to me. Even "good" pizza is a crappy thing to eat.
You can make much better pizza at home pretty easily and quickly. Especially now on work from home - it takes about 5 minutes to start dough in the afternoon to be ready to bake later when you want. And if you use good quality cheese you can use much less and as more of a flavoring than a mass of grease. Lately I've been doing a lot of cauliflower pizzas that are cauliflower, chilis, olives, a bit of olive oil, and a bit of finely grated romano - basically a modified version of the one in Lahey's bread book. If I have fresh baby arugula, that goes on top as soon as it comes out of the oven so the steam from the cauliflower can lightly wilt the arugula. I got a half-sheet sized steel plate a few years ago that I preheat to 500 F for getting a good crust.
corky and mtofell like this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Papa John's and Pizza Hut are the most "undercooked" pizzas of the major national chains, but most chains seem to undercook the crust but for Dominos. Dominos seems to have publicly told us they were trying to "improve their crusts" since the early 90's.

Pizza Hut mostly uses frozen dough since I still have some I bought in bulk last year. Papa John's and Dominos have central dough plants which deliver dough to stores daily or every 48 hours. Little Caesars makes dough in house.
The major chains receive their own cheese blend from the same privately owned cheesemonger, Leprino Foods of Denver.

IMO, Little Caesars Deep Dish is the best chain pizza, followed by anything from Domino's. Marco's is cheese bread is the best of that item, but their pizza is not a better value.

Last edited by csufabel; Jul 8, 2021 at 8:47 pm
Old Jul 8, 2021, 11:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mtofell
You’ve not had real pizza then!
Eastbay1K, work2fly and CDTraveler like this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 1:35 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Sorry any pizza place that uses a conveyor type oven (Costco included) does not cook the pizza properly. The places that use a real pizza oven, whether it be a brick, coal fired, or the "standard" type that most all mom and pop places use have the better pizzas.

I will admit I will order a fast food pizza once in a while, the last being this past Tuesday from Pizza Hut. My go to used to be Domino's, but the shop closest to me (delivery) was actually closed by the health department more than once in the past year, so I refuse to order from there. It is the same management team so I don't trust that they have cleaned up their act.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
A friend posted this on Facebook not too long after I read this thread...

wrp96 and JBord like this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
A friend posted this on Facebook not too long after I read this thread...

Me: and lower in lactose than the other pizza chains.

I don’t like Little Caesars pizzas. But I can eat them without distress. For the longest time I assumed they used something other than dairy. But I looked it up (if you can believe what the internet says) and their blend consists of two or three very low lactose cheeses.

As bad as it is fresh, it’s worse cold. I would throw out leftover Little Caesars pizza if I couldn’t reheat it. The crust takes on a terrible consistency as it dries out.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Sorry any pizza place that uses a conveyor type oven (Costco included) does not cook the pizza properly. The places that use a real pizza oven, whether it be a brick, coal fired, or the "standard" type that most all mom and pop places use have the better pizzas.
Agree about the oven type changing the taste of the pizza. Even the take and bake pizzas from Costco or Sam’s taste better when cooked as you describe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.