Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What to do with coffee grounds

What to do with coffee grounds

Old Mar 1, 2021, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by JBord
Basically putting a small plastic bag of garbage inside a big plastic bag of garbage! The neighbor may have a hundred little ziplocs in every trash bag if she does that with everything that's a little wet. Now, maybe she accumulates it all in the same ziploc every week and throws it out once per week. Obviously, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this .
Yep. Tons of ziploc bags in her garbage bag.
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I just dump them and the paper filter in the trash. They will degrade in the landfill most likely. My mom used to compost hers but stopped composting when she opened the container in her kitchen to add something and discovered maggots.

Sounds like a great way to create more waste. If one's garbage bags are leaking, then either buy better bags that don't tear or be more careful about throwing away sharp, pointy things.
I would agree with buying better or different garbage bags.
JBord likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 5:21 pm

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
Once a week we'll dump the grounds directly in our potted plants. They seem to really like it. (Maybe they're just caffeinated.)
Yemona and JBord like this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
The reasoning for the ziploc bag method is so that moisture from the grounds doesn't get into the garbage and potentially leak.
So environmentally damaging and what a wasteful use of plastic
Old Mar 1, 2021, 5:48 pm

Consider vermicomposting

You can feed coffee grounds to your worms if you get into worm composters (vermicomposting): Vermicomposting coffee grounds
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 5:55 pm

My wife washes her hair with them and uses them as an exfoliant. I put them in my roses. For those who put them down the drain, your plumber thanks you.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Darren
My wife washes her hair with them and uses them as an exfoliant. I put them in my roses. For those who put them down the drain, your plumber thanks you.
That's a new one...she washes her hair with coffee grounds?? What is that supposed to do? And if she is washing her hair with them, aren't they going down the drain when they get rinsed out? Your plumber thanks you too!
downinit, JBord and mtofell like this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The way to deal with potential leaks in your garbage bag is to use a second bag as a can liner. As long as your bag doesn't leak, you don't replace it. Separately bagging wet trash items, at least in my house, would mean I'd have a yeah bag full of baggies.
As for coffee grounds, using a gold filter and emptying it onto a sheet of paper towel which gets tossed works pretty well.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 6:32 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by corky
That's a new one...she washes her hair with coffee grounds?? What is that supposed to do? And if she is washing her hair with them, aren't they going down the drain when they get rinsed out? Your plumber thanks you too!
agree- dry them, mix with coconut oil and make a body scrub

Ive never directly washed my hair with them but caffeine is purported to make hair grow thicker/stronger
Old Mar 1, 2021, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
The ground goes in my garden (spread thin) and the filter goes into the compost. The soil in my area is highly alkaline. The acid in coffee ground is good for it. Also, coffee ground supposed to repel snails. Haven't have snails in my garden for a few years. Not sure if its because of coffee ground or because general reductions in bug/inset populations. The garden seems to like it.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 6:49 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I place the grounds in potted plants out side so that the neighborhood cats won't come near them
Old Mar 1, 2021, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Redhead
So environmentally damaging and what a wasteful use of plastic
I agree, although she's obviously not concerned about it.
Interesting. I've never heard of washing one's hair with coffee grounds.
Originally Posted by rickg523
The way to deal with potential leaks in your garbage bag is to use a second bag as a can liner. As long as your bag doesn't leak, you don't replace it. Separately bagging wet trash items, at least in my house, would mean I'd have a yeah bag full of baggies.
As for coffee grounds, using a gold filter and emptying it onto a sheet of paper towel which gets tossed works pretty well.
I don't worry about leaks in my garbage bag.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
The ground goes in my garden (spread thin) and the filter goes into the compost. The soil in my area is highly alkaline. The acid in coffee ground is good for it. Also, coffee ground supposed to repel snails. Haven't have snails in my garden for a few years. Not sure if its because of coffee ground or because general reductions in bug/inset populations. The garden seems to like it.
I mix crushed egg shells (air dry them and a quick run through a pestle and mortar) with the coffee grinds and sprinkle it in my garden. It cuts down on the acidity a bit and the plants seem to like it. The filters get air dried and tossed into the green bin. Interestingly enough, the tomatoes and raspberries seem to like the mixture a lot as the plants grow back bigger every year.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 1:48 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I have a small bin under the espresso machine for grounds, and when full I alternate between a compost pile in my yard, and a compostable goods bin (picked up by WM). Before I had compost I just trashed it. I don't see it being good for the pipes although I don't fret if some end up down there from a drip tray.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
I mix crushed egg shells (air dry them and a quick run through a pestle and mortar) with the coffee grinds and sprinkle it in my garden. It cuts down on the acidity a bit and the plants seem to like it. The filters get air dried and tossed into the green bin. Interestingly enough, the tomatoes and raspberries seem to like the mixture a lot as the plants grow back bigger every year.
what would occur if you didnt rinse the egg shells?
my spouse wont let me try putting any compost into our garden area so Im loving this thread while having limits of what I can do.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
garbage can.... but then again I only ever drink just one cup a day

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.