Wiki Posts
Search

Dining Out (generally) since Reopening

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2020, 7:28 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
We've been out quite a few times since things opened here at the beginning of June. I'd say averaging about 6 times per month. Both indoors and out, but mainly outside because of the nice weather, not a virus fear.

For the most part, I wouldn't say things are mostly how we remember them, not better than before. If anything, I think it's a pleasure we don't take for granted any more, and perhaps that makes us appreciate the food and service more than before. Could that be impacting you too, Eastbay? Our best meal so far was a special set multi-course menu at Topolobampo (Rick Bayless's fine dining restaurant). But we've enjoyed several French bistros, a couple Italian places, our favorite Greek place in the area, burger spots, etc.

Interestingly, we've mostly stayed away from higher end and lower end restaurants. The former seems like too much of an event and production right now, and the I think we've just had enough of the latter after the first couple months of take out only.
Since Chicago re-opened restaurants, we've been dining out 1-2 times a week. Most of our go-to places are ~$75-125 for two, including drinks. We've found that a lot of places are operating on seriously reduced menus. As a server told us this week, their restaurant used to have 16 people in the kitchen, now they have 4-6. Our go-to neighborhood spot adds and subtracts stuff much more frequently due to fluctuating supply prices. (It's a spot where I really enjoy their steak wedge salad, and it disappears periodically due to the price of steak). Many places seem to be using a smaller waitstaff, too, so busier spots can have slower service.

We have done one high-end place and it was stellar. We went to Next (Chicago) for their Mexico City menu for my milestone birthday.

When we got hit with a tornado a few weeks ago, we ended up at a hotel for a couple nights. It happened to be one with no nearby restaurants with outdoor seating, so we ate inside for the first time since the pandemic struck. The place (Swift & Sons at Wrigley) has huge windows that open on 2 sides of the restaurant, so it still felt very airy...not sure I'd want to eat inside at a more densely packed spot.)
Old Aug 29, 2020, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
...so we ate inside for the first time since the pandemic struck. The place (Swift & Sons at Wrigley) has huge windows that open on 2 sides of the restaurant, so it still felt very airy...not sure I'd want to eat inside at a more densely packed spot.)
We have absolutely zero indoor dining so its always whacky to read & see TRs and anecdotes and pictures with people dining indoors. Even with moderate air quality from smoky winds, people are still dining outdoors in cool (55-65) evenings. Brr
Old Aug 30, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by gaobest
Even with moderate air quality from smoky winds, people are still dining outdoors in cool (55-65) evenings. Brr
I am really glad I live in a place where its possible to eat outdoors until the end of November!
Old Aug 30, 2020, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelmad478
I am really glad I live in a place where its possible to eat outdoors until the end of November!
its really nice when you can do it. Pre Covid we dined out extremely often :-)
Old Aug 30, 2020, 11:55 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
My wife and I joined her sister for her 69th birthday this past Thursday for a late lunch/early dinner at Bella Luna in Aventura. The seating was outside as per current Miami-Dade ordinance with only 50% capacity allowed. This was the first time dining out since the pandemic began for both of us as my wife has cancer and doesn't want to risk being exposed as her auto immune is very low.. I didn't feel comfortable as we were placed by the open door where the servers were coming in and out. However, they were all masked and wearing gloves and customers were seated with at least two tables in between each seated table for distancing.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I dine out 6 nights a week.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
table for one, please
Old Sep 1, 2020, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by corky
table for one, please
*bar

At least that's where I usually sit.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
Im sure we did until Shelter due to Covid!! I just looked at my January / February 2020 calendar on my phone. I cant remember to enter everything we do, but each week had several mentions of a supper or luncheon at a place outside of home, both solo (me) and with my family or other people. I could check caviar receipts for all those delivered meals at our house which was also a big factor. I cant find when I started to grill supper so I wouldnt know if I started grilling after Shelter or if I was doing SOME (but not too much) before March 2020. I can recall occasional trips to get a can of grill fuel.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Personally, I'm still not too comfortable eating at restaurants (especially indoors). While we've eaten on their patios a couple of times a lot of our "eating out" has simply been takeout--either taken back home or eaten in the car.

That said, when we do eat out, we do try to frequent the more local places to help them. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not sure I'd like a world where restaurant dining is mainly the major chains and not much else.
SanDiego1K, corky and travelmad478 like this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
Personally, I'm still not too comfortable eating at restaurants (especially indoors). While we've eaten on their patios a couple of times a lot of our "eating out" has simply been takeout--either taken back home or eaten in the car.

That said, when we do eat out, we do try to frequent the more local places to help them. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not sure I'd like a world where restaurant dining is mainly the major chains and not much else.
we have zero indoor dining here so Im forever gobsmacked when I read about indoor dining.
I now have zero desire for any restaurant while Im able to cook at home. I reluctantly drive my spouse to sometimes get carryout which I only sometimes would eat, esp because I know that Ill eat the leftovers for a future luncheon because Im the only one here who actively eats leftovers.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
we have zero indoor dining here so Im forever gobsmacked when I read about indoor dining.
I now have zero desire for any restaurant while Im able to cook at home. I reluctantly drive my spouse to sometimes get carryout which I only sometimes would eat, esp because I know that Ill eat the leftovers for a future luncheon because Im the only one here who actively eats leftovers.
Yeah, my county apparently was able to get its numbers low enough that the state's allowing it again. We'll see how that goes I guess.

As for leftovers, the key I think is to cook only enough to have one or two day's worth. Personally, I can't eat the same meal more than a couple of times.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, my county apparently was able to get its numbers low enough that the state's allowing it again. We'll see how that goes I guess.

As for leftovers, the key I think is to cook only enough to have one or two day's worth. Personally, I can't eat the same meal more than a couple of times.
Im the only one for leftovers and I have strong inventories. Tomorrow Ill eat the Chinese leftovers from the weekend because I cant bear to see it wasted and it probably cost the same as 3 days of grocery staples. Surely cost more than 4 pounds of rib eye at Safeway. Sigh.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 6:59 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Apparently Chicago has extended sidewalk dining permits until Dec. 4. Our sidewalk dining typically ends far before that, but this year I figure we'll all pretend we're in Europe and eat outside under space heaters and bundled up.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

My state is allowing indoor dining at 25% capacity. One local bar and restaurant closed, while another is fighting to stay open.

I usually cook enough for three meals. I'll eat one when I cook it and have the other two for later in the week. My fridge right now has 2 portions of a breaded and baked chicken, 2 portions of pork loin, and 1 pork chop. Each has a side packaged with it, so I can simply grab the container, reheat it for a minute or two, and eat.
Im the only one for leftovers and I have strong inventories. Tomorrow Ill eat the Chinese leftovers from the weekend because I cant bear to see it wasted and it probably cost the same as 3 days of grocery staples. Surely cost more than 4 pounds of rib eye at Safeway. Sigh.
How much did you spend on Chinese food???
corky likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.