FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Dining Out (generally) since Reopening (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/2024139-dining-out-generally-since-reopening.html)

Eastbay1K Aug 28, 2020 4:28 pm

Dining Out (generally) since Reopening

I've been to 4 (at least) "moderate" (i.e., $20 to $30+ entree) restaurants since reopening began - all outdoor dining. Every meal has been no less than very good. I was speaking with a friend yesterday who made a similar comment when I mentioned my experiences. Theory is that only the "A" Team is working now - kitchens are reduced to the chef and the top few others, as those are the remaining staff. Service has likewise been excellent.

And your experiences have been?

gaobest Aug 28, 2020 4:39 pm

We dined out in Carmel and it was great. 2 usual spots and then the restaurant at a resort. All excellent.
we are doing zero dine out while home but getting rare (average once a Fortnite for the 3 of us) carryout in sf.

braslvr Aug 28, 2020 11:27 pm

We dined out indoors a couple of times during the 2-3 week period it was allowed in our county. Also went out to a couple of different bars numerous times. After the rules were tightened up, we have dined out numerous times on outdoor patios and in tents. We are not afraid at all to dine or drink indoors or outdoors as long as the basic distancing and hygiene requirements are met.

JBord Aug 29, 2020 6:09 am

We've been out quite a few times since things opened here at the beginning of June. I'd say averaging about 6 times per month. Both indoors and out, but mainly outside because of the nice weather, not a virus fear.

For the most part, I wouldn't say things are mostly how we remember them, not better than before. If anything, I think it's a pleasure we don't take for granted any more, and perhaps that makes us appreciate the food and service more than before. Could that be impacting you too, Eastbay? Our best meal so far was a special set multi-course menu at Topolobampo (Rick Bayless's fine dining restaurant). But we've enjoyed several French bistros, a couple Italian places, our favorite Greek place in the area, burger spots, etc.

Interestingly, we've mostly stayed away from higher end and lower end restaurants. The former seems like too much of an event and production right now, and the I think we've just had enough of the latter after the first couple months of take out only.

bitterproffit Aug 29, 2020 6:25 am

Had a nice meal last week in my suburb. It was one of those old 'establishment' restaurants that have quietly been open for 20-30 years and have a consistent following.

We sat out on the verandah on a nice rainy night. Its August in the south, so its usually too hot to sit outside, but it wasn't too hot.

It was an excellent meal and experience.

1) Pared down menu to standard favorites

2) Limited seating so the staff isn't as rushed.

3) Its an established restaurant, not a trendy one and not a tourist dependent restaurant, so it wasn't too financially strapped.

4) The wait staff was less harried and the customers were really forgiving because of the circumstances.

5) Expectations were lower. It was my first nice dining trip since March. Having a cocktail and a really nicely cooked steak was such a treat.

I really think the pared down menu worked for this restaurant. Its customer base of well heeled locals want more traditional steak, fish, chicken entree's cooked right. And it was a great experience.

travelmad478 Aug 29, 2020 6:52 am

We’ve been eating out at least once a week, and getting takeout maybe once-twice a week, since things opened up here in MSY. That said, we will only eat at places with outdoor seating, because it seems clear that (lack of) ventilation is a major contributor to COVID transmission. I was so thrilled to get out of the house and eat at a restaurant the minute they were able to re-open. I put a dress on, having been shlumping around in t-shirts and shorts for the previous 10 weeks, and we walked to a Peruvian place in our neighborhood that has a nice patio. It felt really good to be out and also supporting a local business. Even though it is stinking hot here, we’re eating outside (many places have fans and umbrellas).

kipper Aug 29, 2020 9:57 am

I go to my favorite diner at least once/weekend. They've cut back on their menu and increased prices a bit, but they used the time they were closed to remodel, so between that and how long they were closed, I'm content with the price increase.

I occasionally go to a local brewpub, and their food always was amazing, and their employees are incredibly friendly.

Eastbay1K Aug 29, 2020 10:17 am

Originally Posted by JBord (Post 32637834)

For the most part, I wouldn't say things are mostly how we remember them, not better than before. If anything, I think it's a pleasure we don't take for granted any more, and perhaps that makes us appreciate the food and service more than before. Could that be impacting you too, Eastbay?

I don't' think so, as we eat nicely at home, and these are places we've been plenty times before. Having service? Yes, that is nice, but my sense is that the servers are just more happy to see and serve you. Food? Some of the best that we've ever had from these particular kitchens.

bitterproffit Aug 29, 2020 10:22 am

I can’t wait for the weather to cool off a bit so that I can visit some more places and sit on the patio and eat. There are some good local places with nice patios that will make for a nice casual meal out. It’s fun to have someone else’s cooking every now and then

Eastbay1K Aug 29, 2020 10:35 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit (Post 32638306)
I can’t wait for the weather to cool off a bit so that I can visit some more places and sit on the patio and eat. There are some good local places with nice patios that will make for a nice casual meal out. It’s fun to have someone else’s cooking every now and then

And here we hope it is warm enough for summer patio dining!

JBord Aug 29, 2020 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 32638299)
I don't' think so, as we eat nicely at home, and these are places we've been plenty times before. Having service? Yes, that is nice, but my sense is that the servers are just more happy to see and serve you. Food? Some of the best that we've ever had from these particular kitchens.

I would agree that the servers and staff seem genuinely happy to serve customers right now. That certainly helps the experience.

work2fly Aug 29, 2020 1:28 pm

Having an outdoor lunch right now at Max's near SFO, home of several FT meals. Less than 10 diners, which is sad, but the team expressed how happy they were to be open. I hope they make it as this place is an institution to me.

cmd320 Aug 29, 2020 3:30 pm

I dine out basically every day (5-6 times/week). I'll sit inside at quiet restaurants or bars assuming no one is closer than ~8 feet away from me. Otherwise I'll generally go outside though it can be quite hot this time of year. I tend to eat after dark which makes it a bit more manageable.

chrisl137 Aug 29, 2020 3:46 pm

I've been mostly cooking, and not even getting carry out other than a few times in airports and eating far from people in the terminal.

I got a "Detroit-style" pizza carry out a few weeks ago in LA that was quite good, though I wouldn't really call it Detroit style other than thick square with crispy cheese. The dough was more like garlic bread with pizza on top. Maybe a bit like Buscemi's, but they've never been high on my Detroit pizza list. Definitely not a Buddy's copy.

My first restaurant meal was breakfast at the Zig-Zag Cafe in Zig-Zag, OR, on the way home from a bikepacking trip. It was quite good, and it's remote enough and a large room with good ventilation so it was a comfortable place to be sitting with no mask.

My second sit-down restaurant meal since March was at the Timberline lodge on Mt. Hood this week. We actually got carry-out twice for dinner and dine-in breakfast once, and the food was very good. It's sort of on the resort-expensive side of things, but we had a breakfast deal with the room, and the breakfast was excellent. I had eggs benedict with dungeness crab for the meat. They were practically begging people to dine-in rather than get food to go, and they had removed enough tables that it was spaced out very well, and the servers were all very nice and friendly. Everybody at the Timberline, right down to the loading dock guys who stored our bikes while we hiked, was super nice and helpful.

Jaimito Cartero Aug 29, 2020 3:56 pm

I’ve only been eating in person at hotels so far. I had a nice dinner at Lobo at the Ritz-Carlton inside. Limited seating. All staff masked and servers wearing gloves. 95% of guests wearing masks while walking through the restaurant.