Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cooking for one - The Lettuce Problem

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2020, 6:07 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by Orchids
Try Bibb lettuce with living roots in a clamshell container. ...
I used to do that. It works but does take up a lot of space. I found that the whole romaine stay fresh in my fridge for a month. It takes a month for me to eat a Costco size romaine package!! I just take a the leaves as I need them, rinse, shake dry, cut, add dressing and eat. I used to buy pre-washed veggies. In the last few years I have started washing pre-washed veggies. It no longer make sense to buy them. They seem to spoil quicker as well. These days, for me, it is all about how long I can stay away from the grocery stores.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by gaobest
buy one get one (like 2 for the price of 1, but it requires customer to get two of them). When a store has a sign like (2/$5), then client can buy only 1 for $2.50.
Exactly. Not all Bogo’s are Bogof’s. Some are buy one, get one half off. I’ve even seen buy one, get 2 free. But most commonly you are forced to take a second for no additional price. That means filling your fridge or freezer, or eating too much of one thing in a short period of time. My solution is to take the extra and give it to a neighbor.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:15 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Orchids
Try Bibb lettuce with living roots in a clamshell container. Might be called Boston or Butter lettuce.
We've switched entirely to Bibb lettuce for our salads. It's tender, its tasty, and it stays fresh thanks to being harvested with its roots. I used the last of a head of lettuce last night that had been in our frig for 2 weeks. It was still fine. I'm eating a lot more lettuce now that I've switched to Bibb.
obscure2k and TWA884 like this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
buy one get one (like 2 for the price of 1, but it requires customer to get two of them). When a store has a sign like (2/$5), then client can buy only 1 for $2.50.
Von's has lots of sale items that are 2 for a sale price but if you only buy 1 it is full price .
people, try the metal bowl trick i mentioned for lettuce ...it is amazing.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I simply wash and dry the lettuce, veg or fruit and put it in one of the Lakeland bags and it stays fresh for quite enough time to eat before it goes off. Of course, you have to buy for your consumption - don't buy food for a family of six if there's only one of you. I get over a week from it all.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/1094/20-L...Bags-25-x-38cm
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:08 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LapLap
The Atlantic still cleaves our language into two. Dropping the “Free” part of “Buy One, Get One Free” provokes a minor form of anathema.
English had enough issues before it sailed westward.

In any event, here's a salient photo for the bogo...
Attached Images  
Old Jun 26, 2020, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I simply wash and dry the lettuce, veg or fruit and put it in one of the Lakeland bags and it stays fresh for quite enough time to eat before it goes off. Of course, you have to buy for your consumption - don't buy food for a family of six if there's only one of you. I get over a week from it all.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/1094/20-L...Bags-25-x-38cm
That's the problem. You can't buy half a head of iceberg lettuce. And I know they all claim it lasts as week, but I am lucky to get 3 days before it turns red.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Cloudship
That's the problem. You can't buy half a head of iceberg lettuce. And I know they all claim it lasts as week, but I am lucky to get 3 days before it turns red.
Just eat more vegetables. They are good for you
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cloudship
Try the metal bowl. I promise you. I don't get a commission on metal bowls or foil but everyone who tries it is blown away. Iceberg is not the least bit nutritious btw...romaine is so much better.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Have I said that I prefer lamb’s lettuce?
corky and TWA884 like this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 4:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
With shelter at home, we've been getting weekly farm boxes, some of them came with a lot of leafy greens. Wrapping the lettuces, chard, spinach, basil, mint, etc., in slightly moist paper towels and placing them inside unsealed plastic bags does the trick for us. If you first rinse the greens, shake out as much water as you can and there is no need to moisten the paper towels. That makes the green leafy vegetables keep for a week or even longer. How long obviously depends on how fresh the greens are when you store them.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Exactly. Not all Bogo’s are Bogof’s. Some are buy one, get one half off. I’ve even seen buy one, get 2 free. But most commonly you are forced to take a second for no additional price. That means filling your fridge or freezer, or eating too much of one thing in a short period of time. My solution is to take the extra and give it to a neighbor.
Some of my local grocery stores will simply have the item ring up at 50% off while on BOGOF. That means you can buy one and receive the same benefit as a BOGOF.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
Some of my local grocery stores will simply have the item ring up at 50% off while on BOGOF. That means you can buy one and receive the same benefit as a BOGOF.
Doesn't work that way at Publix or Winn Dixie. Cashiers at Publix are trained to send the bagger for your forgotten item. To get something for $2.50, the price has to be 2 for $5. Buy one $5 item, and you’ll pay $5. If it’s BOGO, you get a second for no additional money. I’m not sure why they would encourage waste, but that’s just how it works.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Doesn't work that way at Publix or Winn Dixie. Cashiers at Publix are trained to send the bagger for your forgotten item. To get something for $2.50, the price has to be 2 for $5. Buy one $5 item, and you’ll pay $5. If it’s BOGO, you get a second for no additional money. I’m not sure why they would encourage waste, but that’s just how it works.
I'm glad mine are the ones that discount it by 50%.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
Its headed for 97 today so we walked this morning at the semi- ghost town mall. There I saw a window sign I had never seen before: BOGOHO
corky likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.