Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Pantry meal recipes - post here!

Old Mar 13, 20, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Not sure if this more properly belongs here or in Dining Buzz, but I thought I'd start a thread for us to exchange pantry meal recipes.

For those of you who bought huge quantities of tuna at Costco, this is my favorite tuna salad recipe.

I'm also very fond of this tuna pasta sauce. I've used it with pasta, but also with grains and beans, so if you've got that, this will work similarly there. Add some frozen or fresh veggies and you have a complete meal:

I'm a fan of smitten kitchen's recipes, and she just tweeted out her pantry meal favorites.

Bon appetit!
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Mar 13, 20, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Broth, can of white beans, can of diced tomatoes and some mini pasta make a delicious soup. Parmesan cheese is a bonus.
Old Mar 13, 20, 5:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Pasta fagioli (or pasta fazul or fazool in Italian slang). Sofrito (onion, garlic, carrots, celery if you’ve got them). Red pepper flakes, a can of whole, peeled tomatoes, a bit of broth and a can of cannellini beans. Toss with pasta. Parmegiano if you’ve got it. Yummy.
Old Mar 20, 20, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2021), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Spaghetti Puttanesca. While everyone else was panic buying toilet roll, I was panic buying olives (in a jar) and anchovies.
Old Mar 20, 20, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Chicken Pot Pie:
Use your favorite recipe to make four pie crusts.
Add 1 rotisserie chicken shredded or a few cooked chicken breasts shredded, 1 can of green beans, 1 can of sliced carrots, 1 can of diced potatoes, 1 can of corn. Mix in 1 can of cream of chicken soup and 1 can of water.
Place two pie crusts in pie pans. Add half of the mixture in each. Top each pie pan with another pie crust. Fold edges together on each, make slits in each top crust to allow steam to escape.
Bake 45 minutes at 350 F.
Old Mar 20, 20, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A friend's recipe for the best mac and cheese ever. Warning: you need one specialized ingredient, sodium citrate, which you can buy on Amazon. You might be able to find it at the grocery store, called sour salt. It emulsifies cheese and turns any melted cheese into a pourable "nacho cheez" consistency instead of lumps of protein floating in melted fat. You need the granulated kind, not liquid.
This is the one This is the one
I have. A pound of it will last a long time and you can use it for other things as well, like creamy sauces that aren't homogenized, or smoother gravy probably.

A cup of liquid (cheap white wine, dry vermouth, beer, stock, water are all fine...though I'm told IPA makes it too bitter)
A cup of half and half, or milk if you don't want to be so decadent
Half pound of uncooked small noodles (macaroni, rotini, whatever you like but it should have a rough shape to hold the sauce better)
Half pound of any cheese or combination of cheese, shredded (but not velveeta/American which are already processed to be pourable when melted)
Garlic, herbs, whatever you want to taste. I used herbes de provence and a cajun seasoning blend.

Preheat oven to 350
Bring the wine/beer/stock to a boil in a medium to small oven safe pot over medium heat
Add the shredded cheese and stir
When the cheese is completely melted add exactly 1 1/2 teaspoons of sodium citrate and stir (gotta measure this exactly)
Use a stick blender to mix it all together into a soupy consistency
Add the half and half or milk and blend together again
Put the blender in soapy water so the cheese sauce doesn't congeal on it
Add the dry pasta and stir it all together
Put the lid on the pot and put the pot in the oven for 20 mins
After 20 mins, take the pot out, stir, and let it cool on the stove for 5-10 mins with the lid on. It will seem too soupy when first out of the oven but the sauce will solidify and become the perfect texture when it's cool enough to eat

Brian, if you're reading this I hope you don't mind my sharing your recipe!
Old Mar 23, 20, 6:39 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Here is a quick and satisfying pasta salad.
Ingredients
2 cans of tuna
1 box of rotini
1 jar of green olives
1 package of pepperoni
1 bottle of creamy Italian salad dressing
Parmesan cheese to taste

Cook rotini. Dice tuna and olives and add. Add salad dressing, pepperoni and parmesan.
Enjoy!!!
Old Mar 24, 20, 1:38 am

Programs: BA EC

Delhi Lamb

Serves 6:

7 tablespoons of Vegetable oil

6oz of finely chopped onions (“ or 3 onions)

1 Green chilli finely chopped

5 cloves of finely chopped garlic

1 kg of boned diced lamb (1 inch cubes)

1 can of chopped tomatoes

1lb of peeled diced potatoes

1.5 pts of water

Spices:

1 tablespoon ground cumin

2 teaspoons ground coriander

teaspoon ground turmeric

teaspoon ground cayenne

2 teaspoons salt

Method:

Heat the oil in a large, deep saucepan over a medium heat. When hot, put in the onions, green chilli and chopped garlic. Fry until the onions start to brown at the edges stirring continuously.

Add the diced lamb and stir it around until it is gently browned. Add the tinned tomatoes, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne and salt. Stir and cook for about 10 minutes until the sauce is thick and the oil seems to float on it. Add the potatoes and water. Cover the pan, bring to the boil and cook with the lid just ajar for about an hour. If you want a thicker sauce break the potatoes against the side of the pan and cook until they disintegrate.

If you don’t like lamb you can substitute beef, or chicken or turkey. If you use beef you can use a cheaper cut as the cooking time ensures it will be tender. If you wanted a vegetarian version, because of the cooking time, you would have to use swede or turnip in place of the meat.
Old Mar 24, 20, 1:41 am

Programs: BA EC

Black Eyed Beans and Mushrooms

The dried beans in this recipe should be soaked overnight for best results.

Serves 6:

6 tablespoons of Vegetable oil

2 large onions

2 Green chilli finely chopped

4 cloves of finely chopped garlic

1 inch cube of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped

2 pints of water

lb of dried black eyed beans washed, pre soaked and drained.

lb of fresh mushrooms

1 can of chopped tomatoes

Spices:

1 teaspoon ground cumin

2 teaspoons ground coriander

teaspoon ground cayenne

teaspoon ground turmeric

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon of whole cumin seeds

1 inch stick of cinnamon

Freshly ground black pepper

3 tablespoons of chopped fresh coriander

Method:

Soak the beans overnight in 2 pints of water. Drain them and bring them to the boil in another 2 pints of water. Cover, turn the heat to low and let them simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and let them sit, covered and undisturbed for an hour.

Cut the mushrooms in to slices, about 4 slices to each mushroom if they small. Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan. When hot put in the whole cumin seeds and cinnamon. Let them sizzle for 5 seconds. Add the garlic and onions and stir and fry until the onion browns at the edge. Add the mushrooms and fry for a further 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tinned tomatoes, ground coriander, ground cumin, turmeric and cayenne. Stir and cook for a minute. Cover, turn the heat to low and let the mixture cook in its own juices for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat under the pan.

Bring the beans back to the boil; cover, turn the hat to low and simmer until the beans are tender (10 to 15 minutes). To the bean and water mixture add the contents of the frying pan, the salt, black pepper to taste and the fresh coriander. Stir to mix and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes until the sauce has reduced. Remove the cinnamon stick before serving.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: