Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:28 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
Original Poster

How Restaurants are dealing with the Crisis

I received the following email today from a restaurant:
https://mailchi.mp/clementineonline....y?e=90c13b8ee4
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:33 pm

People stopped eating out for almost a month when the virus initially hit HK. Restaurants cope by doing lots of deliveries. Even some fine dining restaurants started using Uber Eats and other delivery services to soften the blow
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I've been wondering if restaurants that use linen napkins are going to move to paper napkins temporarily.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
People stopped eating out for almost a month when the virus initially hit HK. Restaurants cope by doing lots of deliveries. Even some fine dining restaurants started using Uber Eats and other delivery services to soften the blow
Mayor Garcetti of Los Angeles just announced that people should not dine in restaurants but opt for take-out or delivery.
HKTraveler likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Went out to a bar last night about 9:30. There were 6ish people there when we arrived, by 10 we were the only ones there. Place is usually third-to-half full weeknights.

Haven't seen any COVID-related announcements from bars & restaurants around here; but I haven't exactly been looking for them, either.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
A popular Dim Sum restaurant near my house has chosen to close for at least 10 days. The restaurant had notices displayed inside when I dined there with friends last Saturday. They were 1/2 full for weekend lunch that day vs. normally being full with a waiting line 30 people deep. A week earlier they were nearly deserted.

A local pizzeria has temporarily switched to carryout-only service. I discovered that today when I stopped by for a few slices. I opted to go elsewhere instead as I didn't fancy eating pizza out of a cardboard box in my car.

I hope restaurant closures don't become a widespread phenomenon, either as a matter of law (as in Italy) or as a trend. I work from home, so I look forward to going out for lunch as an enjoyable change of pace & scenery in the middle of the day.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The email account I use for my online orders had at least six emails from restaurants concerning COVID-19 today and they were 60% the same word for word. Nobody indicated they were closing, but a few mentioned they would have what they are calling, "No Contact Delivery" and informed us that their drivers will not be offended if we tell them to, "Please step away".
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
SF restaurants temporarily closing
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by csufabel
The email account I use for my online orders had at least six emails from restaurants concerning COVID-19 today and they were 60% the same word for word. Nobody indicated they were closing, but a few mentioned they would have what they are calling, "No Contact Delivery" and informed us that their drivers will not be offended if we tell them to, "Please step away".
Same. I've also seen a lot of, "We're waiving delivery fees," or discounts only for delivery.

Suggestion for those with favorite local restaurants that are small businesses. If you can't do delivery or take-out, many will take gift card orders online or via phone.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Illinois just ordered all bars and restaurants to close to dine-in customers for two weeks. Only takeout, delivery, and drive thru allowed.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Illinois just ordered all bars and restaurants to close to dine-in customers for two weeks. Only takeout, delivery, and drive thru allowed.
Pennsylvania is doing the same, but only in certain counties. Given how people cross county lines, I doubt the move will be that effective unless the governor revises it to all counties.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I've been getting takeout from all my local spots - primarily to avoid having to fight at the grocery store, as I refuse to battle with hysterical hoarders and contribute to the problem.

Originally Posted by kipper
Pennsylvania is doing the same, but only in certain counties. Given how people cross county lines, I doubt the move will be that effective unless the governor revises it to all counties.
Given current policy, it should still be useful so long as enough people are deterred that it slows down the spread of infection. We're way past containment.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gengar
I've been getting takeout from all my local spots - primarily to avoid having to fight at the grocery store, as I refuse to battle with hysterical hoarders and contribute to the problem.
Now if those restaurants only delivered toilet paper. Amazon is out.
https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...ls/5051286002/

I don't typically like doing takeout, other than pizza or subs, but I expect that will change over the next 2 weeks with everything closed here in Chicago.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
BamaVol Jr #3 is a Ruby Tuesday’s manager in Tennessee. He expects his restaurant to close the dining room and sell strictly take-out by tomorrow. Surprisingly, as of today, the salad bar is still operational.

BamaVol Jr #2 is a chef at a downtown Des Moines restaurant. So far, bar and dining business has not dropped off one bit but that can’t continue. The restaurant caters to a much younger crowd ( his brothers small town RT is like 70% retirement age customers) in an urban setting. His young clientele acts like it already has immunity. He expects them to wise up eventually. He says he can run the kitchen with less than 50% of current staff and still function.

in both cases, people may soon start to lose hours and pay and probably jobs.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
Now if those restaurants only delivered toilet paper. Amazon is out.
https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...ls/5051286002/

I don't typically like doing takeout, other than pizza or subs, but I expect that will change over the next 2 weeks with everything closed here in Chicago.
I received an email today from Blue Plate Oysterette in Santa Monica saying that all take-out orders will include a roll of toilet paper.
smf_ltn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.