Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Panera Brings Back French Onion Soup With A Bit of Humor

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Panera Brings Back French Onion Soup With A Bit of Humor

I will admit that I was one who contacted them with a complaint...none are quoted in the video.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Back before St. Louis Bread Co. became Panera, "Bread Co" (as we called it in the STL) really hollowed out the bread bowl to ladle in a generous amount of soup, then they would put two slices of Swiss cheese on top and put it in a steamer so it melted over the soup and bread bowl. Now it's barely a few ounces of soup with shredded cheese on top. Hopefully they have also made updates on how they serve the soup.

Phyllis, along with Pam, are both STL natives.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Frankly, IMO
There are about 2 dozen better soups out there than onion soup. And I am not just including Panera's brand, which is really weak.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
It'll take more than a witty commercial about French onion soup to bring me back into a Panera. I swore off them a year or two ago for stingy portions, rising prices, and too much sugar in the bread.
JBord likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
It'll take more than a witty commercial about French onion soup to bring me back into a Panera. I swore off them a year or two ago for stingy portions, rising prices, and too much sugar in the bread.
Agreed. I had no idea they had taken french onion soup off the menu.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
French onion soup or not, it’s cat food either way.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
... I swore off them a year or two ago for stingy portions, rising prices, and too much sugar in the bread.
... and way too much salt in just about everything. I remember checking the nutritional information when they came out with umami bowls a few years ago. It was 1500+ mg sodium in what was supposed to be part of one meal. People aren't supposed to take in more than about 2200 mg per day total from everything. Since then I've checked several of their other dishes. Scary high amounts of sodium. Is that the only way they know how to make food palatable?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
People only like French Onion soup because they melt a 12 ounce glob of cheese on top. That's gross. Take off the cheese and it would never sell. All you have is a cup of broth.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
People only like French Onion soup because they melt a 12 ounce glob of cheese on top. That's gross. Take off the cheese and it would never sell. All you have is a cup of broth.
I disagree, at least on behalf of some of us. A well-made French onion soup is good without cheese. You have to slowly cook the onions before adding everything else. I usually make it without melted cheese because I don't have the single serve oven crocks. I do like a crusty piece of bread to dip in it though...

That said, after a long pause, I've tried Panera twice in the past 6 months, once a salad and once a soup/sandwich combo. Both times, the food was disappointing and over-priced for the portion size and quality. Honestly, I've had much, much better by just stopping in my local Jewel (grocery store) and buying a sourdough bowl from the bakery and soup from the deli. And for less money.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Efrem
... and way too much salt in just about everything. I remember checking the nutritional information when they came out with umami bowls a few years ago. It was 1500+ mg sodium in what was supposed to be part of one meal. People aren't supposed to take in more than about 2200 mg per day total from everything. Since then I've checked several of their other dishes. Scary high amounts of sodium. Is that the only way they know how to make food palatable?
Were you really surprised something called an umami bowl has a lot of sodium?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:32 pm

I ate at a restaurant in Taiwan where the chef used absolutely no sugar.
When telling someone else about it, they were incredulous. I guess in America they cannot even imagine food without added sugar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.