The "Girl Scout Cookies" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "Girl Scout Cookies" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
My girls sell all their cookies themselves.
That's where I tend to buy them. I never buy in the office, because I feel like I'd have to buy from everyone to be fair.

But when an actual kid is selling them, I'm definitely a sucker for Thin Mints. I still have some at home, so I don't need this secondary dealer at work to prop up my stash.

Yet...
Old Mar 29, 2016, 5:23 am

Programs: UA, HA
Wish they sold 'em more than once a year. Then I wouldn't have to place such embarrassingly large orders (but hey, 52 weeks x avg lifespan of an opened box = nomnomnom).

For some reasons, the only kids I ever see selling them is outside grocery stores. I prefer to support kids of friends, even if indirectly. But that's just me.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:23 am
Suspended

I won't buy them from adults, and I won't buy them from kids who are parked at the entrance to the supermarkets I shop at. But I ALWAYS buy them from any child who comes to my home, or approaches me and asks me to buy them.

I am afraid that we've lost sight of the rationale for these cookies - the entire exercise is supposed to teach the kids initiative and confidence and sales skills.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Every GSC I've had this year has been dry as a bone and tasted like sawdust. I no longer see the appeal, other than, I guess, buying them from the cute little girl and then tossing them out.

The cookies we get here come from "Little Brownie Bakers" which is apparently owned by Keebler.

https://www.littlebrowniebakers.com/

I believe many regions come from ABC Bakers.

Here's a fun page comparing the two:

http://graphics.latimes.com/girl-scout-cookies/
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
I won't buy them from adults, and I won't buy them from kids who are parked at the entrance to the supermarkets I shop at. But I ALWAYS buy them from any child who comes to my home, or approaches me and asks me to buy them.

I am afraid that we've lost sight of the rationale for these cookies - the entire exercise is supposed to teach the kids initiative and confidence and sales skills.
You live in a lucky neighborhood This has never happened to me. I agree, that would be the gold standard, though. I did read some promo materials about what exactly the scouts are supposed to be learning through this cookie selling, and some of it is surprising separated from the "go up to adults and ask for sales" type of confidence you mention. They also are supposed to learn basic maths, integrity (related to not embezzling, etc), and organization of product delivery. I was surprised; I thought it all was confidence and initiative, too.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Girl Scout Cookies!

We have Girl Scouts in our building, it seems, and they have decided to start the New Year with a bit of saleswomanship. They are pre-selling cookies door to door. Our Thin Mints will be here in February. Can't wait.

What is your favorite?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:42 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I hope we have Girl Scouts in our new neighborhood! I love Samoas (also called caramel delites in some regions).
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I hope we have Girl Scouts in our new neighborhood! I love Samoas (also called caramel delites in some regions).
Yum! Long live the GSUSA!
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm going to have to find someone to order them from. Where I live now I haven't seen any GS selling cookies. Thin Mints for the Win!!!
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm going to have to find someone to order them from. Where I live now I haven't seen any GS selling cookies. Thin Mints for the Win!!!
My personal favorite! So good. Yummy!
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This will be my very last year with a girl selling. It has been long run! Thank you to everyone who buys from your local girls! GS has been an incredible experience for both my girls.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
This will be my very last year with a girl selling. It has been long run! Thank you to everyone who buys from your local girls! GS has been an incredible experience for both my girls.
Vicki, I'll pay shipping costs in addition to cost of cookies if you want to sell a couple of boxes to me/help your daughter meet her quota. When I lived in CA, GS were always outside Ralph's, etc. Where I live now I haven't seen one GS selling cookies outside a store. I miss Thin Mints!

Cheers.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
When I lived in CA, GS were always outside Ralph's, etc. Where I live now I haven't seen one GS selling cookies outside a store.
I hear the scouts no longer sell outside grocery stores.

They are, however, setting sales records setting up outside legal pot shops.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Vicki, I'll pay shipping costs in addition to cost of cookies if you want to sell a couple of boxes to me/help your daughter meet her quota. When I lived in CA, GS were always outside Ralph's, etc. Where I live now I haven't seen one GS selling cookies outside a store. I miss Thin Mints!

Cheers.
Thank you! It is still a few more weeks for us but I will send you a message.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I knew as far back as age 8 (when the cookies were 75 cents a box) that there was something very addictive in the thin mints. Edy's ice cream was smart to partner with them and release a Girl Scout thin mint ice cream flavor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.