Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Cleanliness of inflight coffee?

Cleanliness of inflight coffee?

Old Jan 21, 20, 9:22 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2 View Post
Wow! So it's like, vending machine coffee but with a decent lid on? In a metal container so it can be recycled? That's cool!
Not the original poster but I've had hot canned japanese coffee (at a japanese store in the US) and it was sold out of a warming box. The can was just like a soda can from what I can tell.
Old Jan 21, 20, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Wow! So it's like, vending machine coffee but with a decent lid on? In a metal container so it can be recycled? That's cool!
Sealed can of warm (not hot) coffee. You can buy cans of beer from vending machines too. It's been said to be the only society which is orderly enough to do so.
Old Jan 21, 20, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kgmm77 View Post
Did the public health authorities confirm that it was the coffee?

I presume a lot of the passengers were impacted if it was ecoli?
Well, I didn't report it to the health authorities on Rhodes. So I'm not sure how many others might have. And not watching the Greek news, I wouldn't know if they even had called for data.
I just dealt with it for 5 days. Imodium was ineffective and a pharmacist finally gave me something called Ercefuryl, which knocked it down after 2 doses. He did say that if that didn't work, I'd need to go to the hospital.
Maybe it wasn't e coli, but it was terrible and because of the timing, I know it was from that coffee service (water, carafe, cup, FA's hands, or some such).
As I said, chances are 1000-1 you get sick from airplane water, but for me, one time was plenty. I'm gun shy now.
Old Jan 22, 20, 4:18 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC, VAFC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
Sealed can of warm (not hot) coffee. You can buy cans of beer from vending machines too. It's been said to be the only society which is orderly enough to do so.
There always used to be cans of beer available from vending machines in France, but. to be fair, I've not seen them for a while. We had a couple of kids on a school trip I was accompanying once think they could get away with buying a few. I had to confiscate them and dispose of them later
Old Jan 22, 20, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523 View Post
Well, I didn't report it to the health authorities on Rhodes. So I'm not sure how many others might have. And not watching the Greek news, I wouldn't know if they even had called for data.
I just dealt with it for 5 days. Imodium was ineffective and a pharmacist finally gave me something called Ercefuryl, which knocked it down after 2 doses. He did say that if that didn't work, I'd need to go to the hospital.
Maybe it wasn't e coli, but it was terrible and because of the timing, I know it was from that coffee service (water, carafe, cup, FA's hands, or some such).
As I said, chances are 1000-1 you get sick from airplane water, but for me, one time was plenty. I'm gun shy now.
From memory E. coli has an incubation period of 3-4 days and if you got it from the coffee, the likelihood is most of the plane got it.

I donít think you can be certain it was the coffee. It could be norovirus or something like that. Hygiene standards are significantly higher in the air than on the ground (given the drastic consequences of an outbreak).
Old Jan 24, 20, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Canned coffee? Is it hot?
When I was in Tokyo it took me a few days to realize that the canned coffee button had a red line under it for hot and a blue line for cold. In the same machine!

I liked the Suntory Boss brand coffee with milk and sugar.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: