FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cleanliness of inflight coffee?
View Single Post
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:29 pm
Kgmm77

Originally Posted by rickg523
Well, I didn't report it to the health authorities on Rhodes. So I'm not sure how many others might have. And not watching the Greek news, I wouldn't know if they even had called for data.
I just dealt with it for 5 days. Imodium was ineffective and a pharmacist finally gave me something called Ercefuryl, which knocked it down after 2 doses. He did say that if that didn't work, I'd need to go to the hospital.
Maybe it wasn't e coli, but it was terrible and because of the timing, I know it was from that coffee service (water, carafe, cup, FA's hands, or some such).
As I said, chances are 1000-1 you get sick from airplane water, but for me, one time was plenty. I'm gun shy now.
From memory E. coli has an incubation period of 3-4 days and if you got it from the coffee, the likelihood is most of the plane got it.

I don’t think you can be certain it was the coffee. It could be norovirus or something like that. Hygiene standards are significantly higher in the air than on the ground (given the drastic consequences of an outbreak).