FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Cleanliness of inflight coffee? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1996417-cleanliness-inflight-coffee.html)

skyfly58 Nov 21, 2019 10:08 am

Cleanliness of inflight coffee?

I've read flight attendants saying the coffee or tea machine is not cleaned often and is icky, and sometimes fails tests, but people don't get sick from it, do they? Does people here drink these beverages?

BamaVol Nov 21, 2019 11:44 am

Originally Posted by skyfly58 (Post 31762365)
I've read flight attendants saying the coffee or tea machine is not cleaned often and is icky, and sometimes fails tests, but people don't get sick from it, do they? Does people here drink these beverages?

Not in a few years but I've never gotten sick. It's probably hot enough to kill some of the germs.

diburning Jan 11, 2020 5:28 am

If you look at the statistics of when they tested airline water tanks, you'll find that the percentage of airlines/aircraft where the water was unsafe is quite low, low enough to where I don't worry about it.

The _Banking_Scot Jan 11, 2020 7:21 am

Hi,

Have not been ill yet ! ( been flying for decades and have a coffee on every flight with no effects)

Regards

TBS

onobond Jan 11, 2020 8:06 am

Exposing oneself repeatedly for the type of bacteriae that might inhabit coffee or tea machines onboard an aircraft will probably help the immunization.

Eastbay1K Jan 11, 2020 10:05 am

While the water making your coffee or tea might have a few more germs than your local restaurant's water supply, the cup it is served in might be a whole lot cleaner.

Pick your poison.

lhrsfo Jan 11, 2020 12:05 pm

More likely to give yourself an ulcer worrying about this sort of thing than actually suffering from "off" coffee.

ibs_traveller Jan 12, 2020 10:56 am

In Japan, canned coffee is very common to find. Anyone know if the Japanese airlines offer this instead of brewed coffee?

DeeGee26.2 Jan 20, 2020 4:57 am

Originally Posted by ibs_traveller (Post 31940882)
In Japan, canned coffee is very common to find. Anyone know if the Japanese airlines offer this instead of brewed coffee?

Canned coffee? Is it hot?

Visconti Jan 20, 2020 4:11 pm

I love coffee and this thread is definitely reassuring.

Thanks Guys!

rickg523 Jan 20, 2020 4:33 pm

I've flown thousands of flights and only got sick once - definitely from the inflight coffee. But, boy, did I get sick - a nice week of e coli on Rhodes. Well in a room in a hotel on Rhodes. I barely left it. Ugh.
Btw, the coffee - served from a carafe - wasn't really hot.
Once was enough. As much as I like coffee after a meal, I won't drink anything with tank water anymore.

YVR Cockroach Jan 20, 2020 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2 (Post 31972234)
Canned coffee? Is it hot?

Can come out hot out of the machine, if so ordered.

Eastbay1K Jan 20, 2020 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523 (Post 31974655)
I've flown thousands of flights and only got sick once - definitely from the inflight coffee. But, boy, did I get sick - a nice week of e coli on Rhodes. Well in a room in a hotel on Rhodes. I barely left it. Ugh.
Once was enough. As much as I like coffee after a meal, I won't drink anything with tank water anymore.

It could have come from a cup that wasn't cleaned or handled properly, or the carafe that wasn't cleaned or handled properly, as much as from the coffee that went into the cup.

DeeGee26.2 Jan 21, 2020 1:29 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach (Post 31974656)
Can come out hot out of the machine, if so ordered.

Wow! So it's like, vending machine coffee but with a decent lid on? In a metal container so it can be recycled? That's cool!

Kgmm77 Jan 21, 2020 6:05 am

Originally Posted by rickg523 (Post 31974655)

Did the public health authorities confirm that it was the coffee?

I presume a lot of the passengers were impacted if it was ecoli?