Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "In-N-Out Burger" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2007, 4:23 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
Originally Posted by Fly_from_BNA
They are OK, but would prefer a White Castle burger in a heartbeat!
Amen, [brother|sister]! I'm flying to IND next weekend...not just for White Castles, of course, but it is the first place I stop once I leave the airport.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Only fast food burger I'll eat - price is right, they're fresh, and the double double animal style is awesome - even protein style wrapped in letturce & no bun is really good... and just a bit healthier Fries are nasty unless ordered well-done & salt added.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I don't get the hype, either. Tried one 'cause of what I'd heard when I'd started coming to Cali in '98, and haven't been back since. I much prefer Fatburger, then Jack's(-in-the-Box). When I go home to Chicago I always get a 1/2 dozen White Castles, too.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Its kind of a West Coast nostalgia thing for me. Not that they are that good so much as its a small throwback to the 1950's-1960's drive-in culture and limited menu days. I stop if in California and try and remember the way it was when I first visited , before they paved over the California dream. Sort of the same local-color reasons I live on plate-box lunches in Hawaii, shrimp salad on sourdough in San Francisco, and hot dogs from a cart or thin cheese pizza (from some hole in the wall with "Ray" in the name) in New York. It makes no real sense other than enjoying life as it goes by.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:07 pm

For those of us who grew up in So. Calif., it was the best fast food burger around. Although I try not to eat hamburger anymore (too fatty), when I go back to CA, I have been known to stop at In-N-Out.

As others have said, there's probably some nostalgia involved. Still, if you're in So. Calif. and want a decent fast food hamburger, In-N-Out's a good bet.

I'm among those who don't like their fries. I also don't think that much of their chocolate shakes - Arby's chocolate shakes are far superior in my opinion. Your tastes may vary.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA Million Miler Gold (former decade-long 1K) | SPG Plat | Hyatt Plat | Avis Chairman
I'm a convert to In-N-Out. Years ago in So Cal, after hearing all the hype, I had to try it... now I'm a true believer. The best fast food burger around, IMHO. Heck, I've been know to pass on gourmet dinners just to get some extra In-N-Out on my west coast trips.

I had Fatburger recently and didn't think they're even close to measuring up. I do agree with the posts about the fries though, pretty limp and not especially tasty. The shakes are decent though. But In-N-Out is all about burgers... their special sauce is great and the lettuce, tomato, etc always seem especially fresh.

The clown and the king definitely have nothing by comparison.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 1:27 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
As ScmutzigMSP, uva185, and I discovered at the Galleria/Henderson, NV location, fries animal style rock! I order my burger as follows:
Double-Double
Well-Done
No Sauce
Extra Ketchup
Extra Grilled Onion
Extra Tomato

Its delish
Old Sep 19, 2007, 1:59 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
uhm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
If God made hamburgers, they would taste just like In-N-Out's.
well they are good, but there are several better burgers.

i love the animal style !

anyway,  http://www.kua-aina.com/ 

is one of the best burgers in the world . thats my opinion.

in and out is over rated , but the animal style is great

dp
Old Sep 19, 2007, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by derpelikan
anyway, ?http://www.kua-aina.com/?

is one of the best burgers in the world . thats my opinion.
There's practically a consensus on the Japan Forum agreeing with you. MrLapLap certainly does (he's had both).
Old Sep 19, 2007, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by irabk
In-N-Out is that good?
De gustibus non disputandum est.

Seriously, some people swear by 'em. Personally, I find 'em OK, but prefer Wendy's for fast food burgers. YMMV.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 2:56 pm

I've gone to the Bay area to get In-N-Out before.

And got some miles to boot.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I try to get an InO meal at least once, usually, when in their territory.

I think it's best-in-class for fast-food burgers, and also rate the french fries highly. In both cases it's because of freshness and not having taste affected by freezing in the process. (For a good primer on how freezing messes taste up, try American fast food from franchises like Burger King or Pizza Hut in countries like Thailand or the Philippines where they can't source anything locally. It has the same taste limitations you often get in the U.S., only more so.)

That said, I'd still rate the likes of Fuddrucker's higher on the burger scale (notably, they're also freshness fanatics).
Old Sep 19, 2007, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Fly_from_BNA
They are OK, but would prefer a White Castle burger in a heartbeat!
I have to differ with you, my fellow BNA-based traveler...while I like White Castle well enough, I don't think they're comparable--an In-N-Out burger is just more substantial than a WC slider. (But then, you can't eat 6 or 8 in a sitting, either.)

Of course, Rotier's burgers are better, but I can't do drive-thru at Rotier's.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 4:53 pm

I had a slightly fuzzy memory from a previous trip to LAX that the In-N-Out Burger was on Sepulveda Blvd, just around the corner from the Sheraton Gateway. When I had a stopover, I decided to walk over and try it out. Turns out distances seem a lot shorter if you're driving

Now, maybe it was because I was walking too much, but my burger and shake really didn't seem that special. Better than McDonald's, but not as good as Fatburger. But the prices were definitely good!
Old Sep 19, 2007, 6:47 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
in and out

Originally Posted by Owlchick
In-n-Out will be the only thing I really miss about San Diego when I move away (whenever that may be).

The burgers are much tastier than something similar from other fast food joints of comparable price. Fresh lettuce, fresh tomatoes...with a bit of flavor to them, not like the limp leaves and mushy ooze of other places' "fresh" burger toppings.

Of course, I am currently finishing up my lunch of a Frostie and fries from Wendy's, so clearly, I am willing to eat anything if the price and location is right.
hi

on my way to san diego there where several in-n-outs ...

dp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.