Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "In-N-Out Burger" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:45 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by kingalien
Just need to know what to order. Get the fries extra crispy, or say "well done" and order a "four-by-four" for your burger. Four patties, four slices of cheese and the works. Make sure you have lots of fish oil handy .
I never knew that you could request the fries that way^
I have also never really understood this brand.
It looks like an upscale White Castle with better service
The Fries have always been inferior to all major chains simply because they are consistently soggy, mushy and lack all elements of a high quality well executed crisp fry.
Despite my friends chiming in but hey their made from freshly made potatoes Who cares?
If this is the example of freshly made fries from potatoes I would be happy that they use frozen from here on in
Next time I am dragged in there I will try asking for crispy.

As for the burgers the new Mc Donald’s Angus Burger when prepared correctly
is excellent and makes the In and Out burger one simply very sad patty.
However judging all the sloppy toppings and cheese most people slather on these overrated burgers no one really has to taste the meat anyway.

I take mine plain and even ketchup and onion can't hide the fact that there is little in the way here of good taste. The elements simply are not there in the cooking process or the quality of meat they use. That said some folks think
White Castle makes the best burger in the world. It is all subjective.
Fast Food or not first look at what makes a burger really great.

This is just another fast food gimmick with better management and a more fun feeling inside.
It doesn't have much to offer for those that seek higher quality grounds and good choices.
But our country has many mundane quality establishments with folks that wait on line to eat at such places. They are cost effective for the masses and in the Case Of In and Out they resonated with the public very well.
They seem to be doing just fine without me.I dislike the taste of their food so much I have picked up the check for others and taken them elsewhere.
Just to avoid having my night runied by more of their inferior food.
I still believe the great appeal is cheap food you don't die from.
Or at least in the short term
As they say to each their own
Ok let the In and Out fans attack
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold • AA Gold [1MM] • SPG Gold
It is ACTUALLY that good...
Old Dec 5, 2007, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by bocastephen
If God made hamburgers, they would taste just like In-N-Out's.
Absolutely agree. There are no better fast food burgers in existence. Have eaten at locations in Southern California and Las Vegas. Yummy. Wish they had them here in DC.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by winodj
I've been to In-N-Out a few times this year. And I actually love the fries. Maybe its a matter of the potatoes that they were using in the Bay Area at the time. But they tasted fresh and were done really close to perfectly, at least as close to it as you can get at a fast food place. I would imagine though that they won't last if they sit for more than a couple minutes though.
If you have ever watched the fries being made at each restaurant, they peel and cut whole potatoes right before the are put into the oil for frying. I'm not sure how they could be any fresher than that.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 3:45 pm

here's my take.

Are they good?
Absolutely
Are they "that" good? (implying the best ever)
Hardly
But for $1.50, you can't beat it.

I grew up down the street from one and now live in the San Gabriel Valley, about 7 miles from the original stands. I even went to school with one of the grandkids of the founding family. I obviously am a little biased. But for the freshness, taste and (most importantly) the price, you can't beat it.

I gotta believe that the $150 Truffle burger at Le Cirque is that good
Old Dec 5, 2007, 4:01 pm

I was not raised in the southwest, so never experienced In-n-Out until 2 years ago. I'd heard plenty of people rave, so I visited one on a trip to Phoenix. Pretty good. Nothing to write home about, maybe a very slight edge over the Whataburger down the street from me. But a very large step up from McD's, Burger King, or other chain fast-food burgers. Fresh, not made ahead of time, quality ingredients.

I travel to Phoenix 6 - 10 times a year, and manage to hit In-n-Out at least 4 times a year. My usual order, off the "secret menu", a double-double animal style, fries, chocolate shake. Secret Menu here.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Although I have spent too much time in LA in the last few years, I had my first In-N-Out "experience" last year. I was driving another FT member on a LA tour and he wanted to check out the burger joint. It is good - but that good that I would go my way to get a burger there.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 4:09 pm

Programs: United 1K, 1.6MM
Originally Posted by irabk
In-N-Out is that good?
IME, not at all! The buns are sugary, the beef is small but okay. The fries are nothing special. Their milk shakes are so sweet, they sting the back of your throat.

I would take Whataburger over In-N-Out any day of the week...just my 2 cents.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
If you have ever watched the fries being made at each restaurant, they peel and cut whole potatoes right before the are put into the oil for frying. I'm not sure how they could be any fresher than that.
You sound like my friend who dragged me in to try it
Fresh isn't raising the bar ........how you cook them and what they taste like is
Fresh is great but not the end all
Old Dec 5, 2007, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by pdhenry
French fries need to be cooked twice - once at lower heat to cook the inside and again at higher heat to brown and crisp the outside. In-N-Out only cooks fresh potatoes once and so they go limp.
Agree the emperor is naked ^
Old Dec 6, 2007, 3:06 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by drummingcraig
I had never had In-N-Out until about two years ago, and I must say that I was impressed. Tasty burgers and I like the fries although many seem to love 'em or hate 'em. The shakes are also pretty good.

Here in FL we've recently been blessed with a franchise known as Five Guys Burgers and Fries from the D.C. area. Its not exactly fast food as there is no drive-thru and the two we have here are located in strip malls. That aside, they have burgers and fries that rival In-N-Out IMO. My fiance' is hopelessly addicted.

Craig
Craig has this one nailed! If you are on the east coast Five Guys is a great fast food burger. The fries are fried in peanut oil and for whatever reason that makes a huge difference in taste!
Old Dec 8, 2007, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Happyguy
Craig has this one nailed! If you are on the east coast Five Guys is a great fast food burger. The fries are fried in peanut oil and for whatever reason that makes a huge difference in taste!
You must be kidding! I live within a mile of two different Five Guys free-standing stores in Washington, DC (one on Connecticut Avenue & the other on H Street NW). There is also one in Reagan National Airport (airside in Terminal C - US Airways). I've tried to like them, but the fries are nothing short of liquid grease with slivers of potatoes thrown in for decoration. Yecch... The burgers are also greasy and nothing special. Neither the Five Guys burgers nor their fries hold a candle to In-N-Out Burger, unless you are a grease gourmet.

Last edited by DCBob; Dec 9, 2007 at 7:28 am
Old Dec 8, 2007, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Thumbs down teens love In 'N Out

I am not sure why, but the place is always packed with high school kids at almost every location I've been to.
I agree with many here who say the fries are not that good...they are limp. But I do hear that the potatoes are cut fresh and never frozen which is pretty impressive for a fast food joint.
Everytime I have eaten there(4 times), I feel that I have been poisoned by an injection of animal fat into my bloodstream!
I think that In 'N Out is kind of a fad...like Krispy Kreme Donuts. They are savvy in keeping up the "mystique" of the brand to those outside Calif and the stores are spotless, I have to say.

Overall they are very mediocre. Just another greasy burger joint that is really hip at the moment.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by DCBob
You must be kidding! I live within a mile of two different Five Guys free-standing stores in Washington, DC (one on Connecticut Avenue & the other on H Street NW). There is also one in Reagan National Airport (airside in Terminal A). I've tried to like them, but the fries are nothing short of liquid grease with slivers of potatoes thrown in for decoration. Yecch... The burgers are also greasy and nothing special. Neither the Five Guys burgers nor their fries hold a candle to In-N-Out Burger, unless you are a grease gourmet.
Well, maybe things are different at the ones I've been to here in FL since they're relatively new (only open roughly 12 months or so I believe), but I certainly don't find their fries as greasy as you describe. They are thicker cut than the I&O fries which gives them more grease surface area and a tendency to be softer.

Burger-wise I definitely don't find them to be overly greasy in comparison to most other fast food burgers (I&O included). Of course I also get mine smothered in hot sauce and all the trimmings so it may cover it a bit.

Craig
Old Dec 9, 2007, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by drummingcraig
Well, maybe things are different at the ones I've been to here in FL since they're relatively new (only open roughly 12 months or so I believe), but I certainly don't find their fries as greasy as you describe. They are thicker cut than the I&O fries which gives them more grease surface area and a tendency to be softer.

Burger-wise I definitely don't find them to be overly greasy in comparison to most other fast food burgers (I&O included). Of course I also get mine smothered in hot sauce and all the trimmings so it may cover it a bit.

Craig
Unfortunately, DC fast food employees seem to be some of the worst in the country and it shows in the quality of the food. I noticed a huge difference when I first moved here in 1987 from my native state of Minnesota.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.