Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do You Eat at Fast Food Restaurants when Traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do You Eat at Fast Food Restaurants when Traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I think this is often the root cause of this phenomenon.
Supported by social media
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
I moved to live 600 kms north-east of Bangkok in 2002.
Ate a few times at airports mc do's, two years ago Burger King opened a shop in Udon Thani, went 2 or 3x
Then my 6 year young girl went to follow ballet training on Saturday mornings, these always ended at the local Mc Do for a happy meal, i tried the Angus beef burger 2x, will not happen again.
At my nearest recently opened mini-shopping mall 10 kms from here they have a KFC, I will never be their customer.
Real fast food is to be found every evening at the village night market, 1 USD for any meal, we indulge sometimes...

P.S. scrapped Bali from todo list, nearby recommendations?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:15 pm

My recent trip in SE Asia was for about 2 weeks and I was getting so tired of Asian cuisine (still not sure why the bloggers go gaga over the street food thing), my final few days I just had to go get something form McD's. I ordered a quarter pounder with cheese, only to be corrected that it's "Angus burger." Whatever, give me one, a filet of fish and fries.
RoyalFlush likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by tartempion
I'm always big on the Philippines. Living in Thailand, I am sure you are very aware of the many islands at your disposal ^ .
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:57 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Visconti
My recent trip in SE Asia was for about 2 weeks and I was getting so tired of Asian cuisine (still not sure why the bloggers go gaga over the street food thing), my final few days I just had to go get something form McD's. I ordered a quarter pounder with cheese, only to be corrected that it's "Angus burger." Whatever, give me one, a filet of fish and fries.
"Asian cuisine?"

Amusing...I got into an argument regarding that broad-brush phrase many years ago on a website called Midtown Lunch. Maybe it's cached somewhere.

Regardless, as much as I do enjoy street food in certain places, IMO the biggest load of kerbside rubbish in East Asia is prepared in Taiwan. Folks from that region are quickest to defend Taiwanese street food, but that's one major reason I haven't been back in a few years...
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
"Asian cuisine?"
Far as I'm concerned, there's Cantonese cuisine (one of the greatest cuisines in civilization), and the rest of SE Asia. I just used "Asian cuisine," since it's easier to tag, rather than spell out Cantonese and the rest, e.g., Singaporean, Malaysian, Thai, Taiwanese, Indonesian, Korean and the other various Chinese cuisines.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I moved to live 600 kms north-east of Bangkok in 2002.
Ate a few times at airports mc do's, two years ago Burger King opened a shop in Udon Thani, went 2 or 3x
Then my 6 year young girl went to follow ballet training on Saturday mornings, these always ended at the local Mc Do for a happy meal, i tried the Angus beef burger 2x, will not happen again.
At my nearest recently opened mini-shopping mall 10 kms from here they have a KFC, I will never be their customer.
Real fast food is to be found every evening at the village night market, 1 USD for any meal, we indulge sometimes...

I've also learned to steer clear of that bad boy; I stick with Big Macs. I can't say I like Big Macs anywhere in the world because my mouth feels like a desert for an entire hour following ingestion, but some of the places on my travel circuit have seriously dreadful alternatives.

Taste wise, I rank KFC even below McDs. However, they have a few things on their China menu (e.g. the non-fried chicken/rice dishes) that don't slow me down.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I'm always big on the Philippines. Living in Thailand, I am sure you are very aware of the many islands at your disposal ^ .

My daughter is 8 now, until now we did the Thai beaches (and not impressed really but fine with a small kid)
But I will look at PH islands for next trip.
Also thinking a Myanmar more travel visit, Mandalay fi.
Also still need to travel by car to Nan area (we did the Mae Hong son loop last year, i got sick from the 1974 turns in the road)
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
My daughter is 8 now, until now we did the Thai beaches (and not impressed really but fine with a small kid)
But I will look at PH islands for next trip.
Also thinking a Myanmar more travel visit, Mandalay fi.
Also still need to travel by car to Nan area (we did the Mae Hong son loop last year, i got sick from the 1974 turns in the road)
Myanmar will be neat. I haven't been since 2012. My parents are going in a few months, I will ask them for an update on how it's looking these days.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
When I first started spending month long stretches in China, after a few weeks of non-western food I'd get cravings for something familiar. Not knowing or navigating western food options in Shenzhen, McDs or BK would hit the spot and satisfy that craving. Thing I missed most was something resembling an American breakfast, McDonalds breakfast sandwich sufficed. Now after a few years, I don't get those cravings anymore.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Far as I'm concerned, there's Cantonese cuisine (one of the greatest cuisines in civilization)
I go back and forth...Cantonese or Sichuan in terms of my favorite styles of the region. Done well, they're both great.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by synthkeys
Thing I missed most was something resembling an American breakfast, McDonalds breakfast sandwich sufficed. Now after a few years, I don't get those cravings anymore.
For whatever reason, I've never been big on breakfast (they keep telling me it's the most important meal of the day), and prefer simply coffee or 1/2 a croissant. My hotel free breakfast always goes wasted, since I mostly just have coffee (sometimes cappuccino) and stroll around to see what they offer, but hardly never partake.

When I do make an exception, it'll usually be for a Cantonese breakfast. It could be something like bird's nest chicken congee sprinkled with green onions with the fried dough, shark's fin dumpling in a soup base, or simply black egg & pork congee. When it comes to the sheer richness of cuisine, the Cantonese have no peer, in my view. Just skip the desserts, I suppose. Any cuisine that eschews dairy and chocolate is bound to be underwhelming when it comes to sweet treats.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:24 pm

For whatever reason, I've never been big on breakfast (they keep telling me it's the most important meal of the day), and prefer simply coffee or 1/2 a croissant. My hotel free breakfast always goes wasted, since I mostly just have coffee (sometimes cappuccino) and stroll around to see what they offer, but hardly never partake.

When I do make an exception, it'll usually be for a Cantonese breakfast. It could be something like bird's nest chicken congee sprinkled with green onions with the fried dough, shark's fin dumpling in a soup base, or simply black egg & pork congee. When it comes to the sheer richness of cuisine, the Cantonese have no peer, in my view. Just skip the desserts, I suppose. Any cuisine that eschews dairy and chocolate is bound to be underwhelming when it comes to sweet treats.
I might jump on that ship as soon as Panda Express enters HK, Macau, and/or Shenzhen. Until that day comes, I'm pretty happy with Western options, Japanese, and Thai (when in the PRD). HK was the first Chinese city I was posted to, and my colleagues ensured that I would end up disdaining Cantonese food after 6 months of lunches at the exact same handful of restaurants.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:23 am

Some mundane fast food places have no Hawaii locations. A few are only on military bases. So I like going to Del Taco, In and Out, and Chuck Fil-A when traveling on the mainland.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Originally Posted by mathprof
Some mundane fast food places have no Hawaii locations. A few are only on military bases. So I like going to Del Taco, In and Out, and Chuck Fil-A when traveling on the mainland.
Just like how I like going to Zippy’s when I’m on the Islands! I could really use a chili & chicken mixed plate right now.
mathprof likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.