Wiki Posts
Search

Andrew Zimmern fired for critiquing Chinese food

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Commie
Swine? saturated fat? deep fried fat?
Obviously your view of the little world is showing. Not to mention your arrogance, ignorance and rudeness.
Why even be on a travel site with that mindset? Why travel? just stick to your little cocoon.
Just read this thread today, but very disappointed no one commented on this post. and how its allowed to stay posted.
Chinese food is one of the world's great cuisine. But bad Chinese food is awful in a way that none of the other four are. Certainly, bad Mexican and Italian food is endemic. But neither, even Taco Bell or Olive Garden, are unpalatable the way bad Chinese food can be. Matter of taste, of course. Unlike, the Sheik, I like well prepared Chinese. But just hating Chinese food shouldn't I think disqualify someone from traveling (other than going to China maybe) and certainly shouldn't amount to banishment from a travel IBB.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
Chinese food is one of the world's great cuisine. But bad Chinese food is awful in a way that none of the other four are. Certainly, bad Mexican and Italian food is endemic. But neither, even Taco Bell or Olive Garden, are unpalatable the way bad Chinese food can be. Matter of taste, of course. Unlike, the Sheik, I like well prepared Chinese. But just hating Chinese food shouldn't I think disqualify someone from traveling (other than going to China maybe) and certainly shouldn't amount to banishment from a travel IBB.
I don't think Mr. Sheik is just not liking the Chinese food. Look at the tone of the message. Vile and disgusting. His prejudice is showing through in his post. Paints the entire China as dirty and disgusting.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I don't think Mr. Sheik is just not liking the Chinese food. Look at the tone of the message. Vile and disgusting. His prejudice is showing through in his post. Paints the entire China as dirty and disgusting.
I think your impression is correct. No need to disparage an entire nationality.

However .... the restaurants here that fail inspection are overwhelmingly Chinese. I do wonder if the attitude toward hygiene is a bit lax.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reread his post and your point is well taken. He went nuclear on a post supposedly about food preferences. Makes you wonder why.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Meanwhile, In Minneapolis (where Zimmerman lives and started his food/media career), this week's issue of CITY PAGES has the following as it's cover story:

"Is Andrew Zimmern's Chinese restaurant as bad as everyone says it is?"
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:45 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Permanently closed

iluv2fly & cblaisd
Co-Moderators, DiningBuzz

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 8, 2019 at 9:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.