Wiki Posts
Search

Andrew Zimmern fired for critiquing Chinese food

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Skyman65
Well...in my limited experience with eating Chinese food in the Midwest, I have to agree. There was this place in Kansas City...oh my. But yeah, the locals seemed to be enjoying it, so...

Anyway, living in Taiwan, you should see what passes for "Western food" in many places over here. Scary.

I once went into an "international cuisine" restaurant. Their menu had a page labeled "Mexican Food". The first item on the page was "Buffalo wings". Someone needs a geography lesson.

And hanging out in the food court at Costco over here can be quite entertaining. It is common to see folks cranking out piles of chopped onions, relish, mustard, ketchup, and sauerkraut onto...a slice of pizza. I'm tempted to let them know that they're doing it wrong, but it's too funny to watch. And then you have the old ladies pulling large plastic bags out of their purses, filling them up with chopped onions, then stuffing them back into their bags to take home. Taiwanese love their free stuff. For this reason, you never see self-serve condiment bars at McDonalds. It would be abused.
Great post!

As a child in Hawaii, my favorite Chinese dish (when we were lucky enough to go to a resraurant) was kau gee mein (also spelled gau gee mein). It was like won ton, soup or fried, but the gau gees were wonton wrappers folded in half - much more filling.

I couldn't understand it when I moved to the mainland and couldn't find it on Chinese menus anywhere. Years later, I found out that it was not Chinese, it was local Chinese-Hawaiian.

I bought a Japanese cookbook of American food, what I think of as traditional old-fashioned comfort foods - mac'n'cheese, meatloaf, etc. Few Americans would have recognized their well-intentioned versions of American staples.

IMHO, Zimmerman chose his words poorly. I don't think many Chinese folks would consider the kind of Chinese food he's referring to as either Chinese or good. Some of it isn't good Chinese; some of it just isn't good, no matter what you call it.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
They have a presence at the Mouse? Wow, that must be a guarantee for top quality. Disney visitors are well known for being among the most knowledgeable of world cuisine, after all.

Considering this place is from NYC, I rest my case!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
Considering this place is from NYC, I rest my case!
Qué? You posted a link to a restaurant in freaking Disney World. Does New York have a Disney World now? The (very small) menu contains some bog-standard Italian fare. Surprised they don't offer spag bol for the Mouse crowd.
ariel81 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
Qué? You posted a link to a restaurant in freaking Disney World. Does New York have a Disney World now? The (very small) menu contains some bog-standard Italian fare. Surprised they don't offer spag bol for the Mouse crowd.
Well there is gnocchi bolognaise on that menu. That menu is a time warp, although the prices aren't! IME, Italian-American "cuisine" seems to be designed primarily for the nostalgia crowd.
ariel81 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
My travels abroad aboard, including three MSC vessels (in bout Yacht club & Specialty Dining) has proven this to me, that American Italian is better than much of true Italy.
I don't find ship food, including MSC, to be all that great/representative. Its all individual but I've had a ton of amazing Italian food in Italy that seems to be pretty easy to find. In the states there are a few good places just harder to find.

I don't mind Americanized Chinese food if done well......my experience in asia is limited to a few weeks/trips but and keeping in mind I'm not a fan of fish/seafood, I prefer the American version hands down. In fact I tend to avoid asia if possible as I've just never settled into liking the food there in general.

I've never found Indian food in the US that I liked but the couple weeks I spent in Delhi I ate a ton of amazing things.

So for me:
Italian much >>> than american Italian but good stuff can be found here
Chinese <<< than american Chinese
Indian >>> American Indian

Last edited by annerj; Jan 1, 2019 at 8:26 pm
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by annerj
..Chinese <<< than american Chinese..
Nga?

Seriously?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:15 am

If Zimmern was ethnically Chinese, would this thread even exist?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weero
Nga?

Seriously?
I'm not sure what NGA means....

But yeah, again my time in any of asia is limited to SE asia and not a long duration just a few weeks. I can count on a single hand how many good meals I had while over there (good just meaning things I enjoyed). I was with locals for most of it and just couldn't settle into their food routine. I'm obviously lumping in all of the region from a small area/sample size but in all my travels its my least favorite cuisine.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't find ship food, including MSC, to be all that great/representative. Its all individual but I've had a ton of amazing Italian food in Italy that seems to be pretty easy to find. In the states there are a few good places just harder to find.

I don't mind Americanized Chinese food if done well......my experience in asia is limited to a few weeks/trips but and keeping in mind I'm not a fan of fish/seafood, I prefer the American version hands down. In fact I tend to avoid asia if possible as I've just never settled into liking the food there in general.

I've never found Indian food in the US that I liked but the couple weeks I spent in Delhi I ate a ton of amazing things.

So for me:
Italian much >>> than american Italian but good stuff can be found here
Chinese <<< than american Chinese
Indian >>> American Indian
I guess it's just all personal preference at this point, but...

Hyderabadi cuisine is some of the best stuff I've had anywhere, ever. I had the benefit of some local friends who took me to both fine dining and random side-street cafes that rarely served westerners. I didn't have a bad meal anywhere in that town. Completely different than any Indian food I've had in the U.S. or Europe.

I felt like the food in Delhi and Jaipur was more like the westernized Indian I was familiar with, but I didn't have the same kind of "access". There were just a couple of us traveling with a driver, and although the driver did a good job of finding good local places for us I'm sure he wasn't taking us anywhere "risky" (in terms of westerners loving or hating the food).

I love good Asian-American fusion or higher-end American Chinese food. I have never developed a taste for authentic Chinese beyond the occasional dim sum in Hong Kong or wherever. Closest thing would be Peking Duck in a Beijing restaurant that claims to be one of the first to serve it, but the clientele was very international so I have no idea how authentic it really was. (It was excellent duck, of course.) When I'm in China, it's always big-city China and pretty easy to eat international or westernized food.

Italian food in Italy is uniquely heavenly. Nobody else does it like they do. In the U.S., I enjoy the heavier American-style Italian a couple times a year in the winter. American Italian tends to be a big carb bomb and often not terribly flavorful. But it's also the comfort food of my youth, so I enjoy it around the holidays.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
beyond the occasional dim sum
Yes, I'm a big fan of the dim sum I've had and it makes up one of the "good" meals I had over there. The family I was with, it seemed to be more of a treat than their normal every day food/places we went in fact none of the older generation went with us when we went out for dim sum....just the kids.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
[QUOTE=MSPeconomist;30589534]Travel is one of the cable channels that I wish would return to their roots: Travel should be about travel/QUOTE]

Ahhh the days when Travel Channel had travel, History Channel had history, TLC had Learning, Discovery Channel had Discovering

Honey Boo Boo ruined it all.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Ahhh the days when Travel Channel had travel, History Channel had history, TLC had Learning, Discovery Channel had Discovering

Honey Boo Boo ruined it all.
MTV had music
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
MTV had music

YES!!!!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I love eating at all the first generation restaurants in my town. They all shop at the same international markets. The clever guys incorporate other ingredients into their traditional dishes to make it a uniquely American dish. Using jicama in a stir fry, or jicama kimchi, or using Chinese red peppers in a classic Mexican salsa, or Chinese vegetable ingredients in a Turkish kebab. Pho with jalapeņos. Why not?

My favorite Szechuan restaurant puts jalapeņos in their Chengdu Beef. OMG.

This is the fusion cuisine that makes things American, and I, for one, love it.

As if Zimmern's restaurant with Tiki faces with slushie machines at the bar was somehow authentic Chinese fare. LOL
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I'm not sure what NGA means....
The romanization of 那个.
But yeah, again my time in any of asia is limited to SE asia and not a long duration just a few weeks. I can count on a single hand how many good meals I had while over there ..
But China doesn't really qualify as SE Asia.

So even the different dumplings, you do not enjoy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.