FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Andrew Zimmern fired for critiquing Chinese food (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1948142-andrew-zimmern-fired-critiquing-chinese-food.html)

Big_Foot Dec 30, 2018 1:30 am

Andrew Zimmern fired for critiquing Chinese food

The country is becoming a mental asylum :(
https://pagesix.com/2018/12/28/tv-ch...ese-food-diss/

"Filming has stopped on both shows midseason, sources tell us, and is not expected to continue further."

CPRich Dec 30, 2018 1:38 am

“The shows, along with other food content on Travel, will no longer air on prime time, but on Saturday mornings in rotation. This decision came before Andrew’s comments were made.”

It is believed Zimmern’s shows on the Cooking Channel and the Food Network will continue as scheduled.

Silver Fox Dec 30, 2018 1:39 am

We are entering the era of where, before you even open your mouth or put pen to paper, that you may as well start everything with "I apolgize if you find this offensive". The SJW are strong and the force is with them. There are pleny of "horses**t" restaurants of all ethnicities that are being called out on yelp, tripadvisor, etc., each and every day and I have no issue whatsoever with him describing it as such if that is his opinion.

travelinmanS Dec 30, 2018 6:21 am

Chinese food in much of the Midwest is horses**t, what is offensive about what this man said? By the way, although Chinese food in the Midwest is generally terrible, it is much better, and cheaper, than Chinese food in most of the EU.

fly2nrt Dec 30, 2018 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 30587179)
We are entering the era of where, before you even open your mouth or put pen to paper, that you may as well start everything with "I apolgize if you find this offensive".

Is that better or worse than opening your mouth about a subject/issue with which you have no idea about other than what you've read on some gossipy "Page Six" column?

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 30587598)
Chinese food in much of the Midwest is horses**t, what is offensive about what this man said?

Because "sh*tty .......ized American Chinese food" is delicious... that's why. It's its own, uniquely American phenomenon.

General Tso's isn't "Chinese" food (whatever that hell that is even supposed to mean) but it is delicious.

Instead, the blowhard comes along on the authenticity train throwing insults at the hundreds of thousands of hard working Chinese family owned restaurants and their patrons for being "uncultured"....

Meanwhile, his own "Chinese" restaurant turns out to be nothing more than en epic flop.

https://www.eater.com/2018/12/7/1813...troversy-visit

Vaucluse Dec 30, 2018 6:57 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 30587598)
Chinese food in much of the Midwest is horses**t, what is offensive about what this man said? By the way, although Chinese food in the Midwest is generally terrible, it is much better, and cheaper, than Chinese food in most of the EU.

Lol, that’s because that ‘chinese food’ has been adapted to their customer’s palate.

fly2nrt Dec 30, 2018 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Vaucluse (Post 30587648)

Lol, that’s because that chinese food has been adapted to their customer’s palate.

NO WAY! Next thing you're gonna tell me spaghetti and meatballs isn't really Italian?

Silver Fox Dec 30, 2018 7:07 am

Originally Posted by fly2nrt (Post 30587635)
Is that better or worse than opening your mouth about a subject/issue with which you have no idea about other than what you've read on some gossipy "Page Six" column?

Much worse.

SJCFlyerLG Dec 30, 2018 7:16 am

Faux outrage and false thread titles. And how is this remotely political? It's about someone's opinion of Chinese restaurants in the Midwest.

And for what it's worth, "critiquing" is incorrect. One can offer a critique, or one can criticize.

Skyman65 Dec 30, 2018 7:43 am

Well...in my limited experience with eating Chinese food in the Midwest, I have to agree. There was this place in Kansas City...oh my. But yeah, the locals seemed to be enjoying it, so...

Anyway, living in Taiwan, you should see what passes for "Western food" in many places over here. Scary.

I once went into an "international cuisine" restaurant. Their menu had a page labeled "Mexican Food". The first item on the page was "Buffalo wings". Someone needs a geography lesson. :)

And hanging out in the food court at Costco over here can be quite entertaining. It is common to see folks cranking out piles of chopped onions, relish, mustard, ketchup, and sauerkraut onto...a slice of pizza. I'm tempted to let them know that they're doing it wrong, but it's too funny to watch. And then you have the old ladies pulling large plastic bags out of their purses, filling them up with chopped onions, then stuffing them back into their bags to take home. Taiwanese love their free stuff. For this reason, you never see self-serve condiment bars at McDonalds. It would be abused.

Badenoch Dec 30, 2018 8:25 am

In the small city where I grew up I got to know the owners of three local Chinese restaurants of the type Zimmerman insulted. They were new immigrants to Canada, living in an all-white environment that in that era was hardly tolerant or welcoming. They were among the hardest working, most decent people I've met. They made a better life for their children, many of whom went on to higher education, entered professions, while at least one or two stayed to run the restaurant.

So screw Zimmerman for insulting some of the best people I've known. I'd have fired him too.

uastarflyer Dec 30, 2018 9:14 am

A shame it was Bourdain that had to go.

Loren Pechtel Dec 30, 2018 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Skyman65 (Post 30587753)
Well...in my limited experience with eating Chinese food in the Midwest, I have to agree. There was this place in Kansas City...oh my. But yeah, the locals seemed to be enjoying it, so...

Anyway, living in Taiwan, you should see what passes for "Western food" in many places over here. Scary.

Yeah. A very telling incident many years ago. My wife (China-born) was along on a work outing in Los Angeles. Dinner was at a Chinese place. They had the usual dual-language menu, but there was a handwritten page in the front, all Chinese, no English. She was in both heaven and hell looking at that page--it was authentic Chinese food, not Americanized. Stuff she hadn't tasted in many years. Unfortunately, we were heading home in the morning, she was only going to get one meal, what to choose?!?!?! I've never seen her take as long to order as that day.

ysolde Dec 30, 2018 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel (Post 30588671)
Yeah. A very telling incident many years ago. My wife (China-born) was along on a work outing in Los Angeles. Dinner was at a Chinese place. They had the usual dual-language menu, but there was a handwritten page in the front, all Chinese, no English. She was in both heaven and hell looking at that page--it was authentic Chinese food, not Americanized. Stuff she hadn't tasted in many years. Unfortunately, we were heading home in the morning, she was only going to get one meal, what to choose?!?!?! I've never seen her take as long to order as that day.

Years ago, I was working on an out of town project with a team, in a small-ish town with a limited selection of restaurants. We went to lunch one day in a Chinese restaurant with a menu that left something to be desired, but had a short page, all in Chinese, just as you describe. One of my colleagues was first-generation, and I saw him ordering from that menu. I went over to him, and told him, "Shellfish allergy, chicken preferred." And got a really great lunch. I asked him later, and he said it was the kind of food you got at your grandmother's house on a special occasion.

gkbiiii Dec 30, 2018 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by fly2nrt (Post 30587646)
Because "sh*tty .......ized American Chinese food" is delicious... that's why. It's its own, uniquely American phenomenon.

General Tso's isn't "Chinese" food (whatever that hell that is even supposed to mean) but it is delicious.

Instead, the blowhard comes along on the authenticity train throwing insults at the hundreds of thousands of hard working Chinese family owned restaurants and their patrons for being "uncultured"....

Meanwhile, his own "Chinese" restaurant turns out to be nothing more than en epic flop.

https://www.eater.com/2018/12/7/1813...troversy-visit

I strongly disagree with this; as the dish was invented by a Chinese Mainland Native, who was the personal chef to,
The Father of the Republic of China, Generalissimo Chang Kai Chek.
Chef Peng Chang-kuei, who invented General Tso's Chicken: this was done for a VIP banquet in honor of the visiting Admiral of the US Pacific Fleet.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...bb73b6b697.jpg

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/nation-now/2016/12/03/general-tsos-chicken-inventor-dies-98/94879708/