Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Instant Pot

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
Those photos are scary and make me want to cry...
There, there. You're not alone.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by LapLap
Perhaps the black ones. My 9 year old has only just started liking olives, but she hasn't developed a taste for the manzanilla green type yet.

Trying to put my finger on it, it may well be the idea of a "unolivey" olive that puts me off, with the taste and sharpness leeched out of them during the cooking process. Am happy to have them uncooked, in all their glory, on the side but am just not too keen on odd Mediterranean "fusion" tastes, when you're not committed to a certain region or country (in this case Italy) it can all go wrong very quickly. Here's an example of unfettered and uninformed fusion (in Spanish but the photos say everything)
https://elcomidista.elpais.com/elcom...37965.amp.html
Laughing hysterically here! Paella con cosas has me crying I am laughing so hard . . . And don't stir it, ever! And the paella with watermelon? Who thought up that horrifying concoction?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Perhaps the black ones. My 9 year old has only just started liking olives, but she hasn't developed a taste for the manzanilla green type yet.

Trying to put my finger on it, it may well be the idea of a "unolivey" olive that puts me off, with the taste and sharpness leeched out of them during the cooking process. Am happy to have them uncooked, in all their glory, on the side but am just not too keen on odd Mediterranean "fusion" tastes, when you're not committed to a certain region or country (in this case Italy) it can all go wrong very quickly. Here's an example of unfettered and uninformed fusion (in Spanish but the photos say everything)
https://elcomidista.elpais.com/elcom...37965.amp.html
I'm not going to second-guess the culinary tastes of a 9 year old.

BUT (okay I am a little bit) the olives don't end up at all "unolivey" in that recipe.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
There, there. You're not alone.
Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txflyer77
I'm not going to second-guess the culinary tastes of a 9 year old.

BUT (okay I am a little bit) the olives don't end up at all "unolivey" in that recipe.
I asked my (Spanish-Alicantinian) mother of she knew anyone who cooked with olives. She said that the only person was an aunt from an inland mountain town called Alcoy (this aunt was trained when young in the kitchen of a noble family). My mum's view is that the olives from Alcoy back in the 40s/50s were prepared/cured quite differently to the sharper tasting olives that were served at every meal in the coastal area that my mum (and I) are familiar with. And that the Alcoy style olives were more suited to cooking.

In summary, I haven't ruled out cooking with olives, but I will research what kinds to use before doing so. It so happens that a wider variety are available to me in London than in this part of Spain, so that's where I'll try (my internet connection is also very limited at the moment)

Last edited by LapLap; Aug 11, 2019 at 3:44 am
Old Oct 13, 2019, 6:49 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I asked my (Spanish-Alicantinian) mother of she knew anyone who cooked with olives. She said that the only person was an aunt from an inland mountain town called Alcoy (this aunt was trained when young in the kitchen of a noble family). My mum's view is that the olives from Alcoy back in the 40s/50s were prepared/cured quite differently to the sharper tasting olives that were served at every meal in the coastal area that my mum (and I) are familiar with. And that the Alcoy style olives were more suited to cooking.

In summary, I haven't ruled out cooking with olives, but I will research what kinds to use before doing so. It so happens that a wider variety are available to me in London than in this part of Spain, so that's where I'll try (my internet connection is also very limited at the moment)
I cook with olives but it's more of a stir in at the last moment type of cooking, or a quick pan gravy made with wine, shallots and tapenade. Pressure cooking a stew with olives that takes all the flavour out of an olive sounds yucky.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcl
I cook with olives but it's more of a stir in at the last moment type of cooking, or a quick pan gravy made with wine, shallots and tapenade. Pressure cooking a stew with olives that takes all the flavour out of an olive sounds yucky.
I’m guessing it’s a texture thing. I do struggle to imagine what pressure cooked olives will add to a dish already infused with Arbequina or Picual olive oil, but I get the value of olives in puttanesca pasta with no problem. Still, I’m certain a pressure cooked olive still tastes OK, just muted.
I think my resistance to stewing olives is similar to my reluctance to dunking delightfully crisp cookies into warm drinks. Just like I feel sad when I sacrifice some crackling tempura by adding it into a bowl of udon or soba (the noodles and broth benefit from the added oil, but the cost, oh the cost )
Old Jun 27, 2020, 5:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I've had my 6 qt IP for four years and have debated for months whether to buy a 3 qt. For those of you who have both, what do you cook in your 3 qt? I like the idea of a smaller counter footprint. I use mine often enough, every 2-3 days, I leave mine on the counter.

Originally Posted by cubbie
I received a 3-qt Instant Pot as a gift. Here's a tip for anyone else who gets a 3-qt IP rather than a 6-qt IP: cut your recipe quantities in half but keep the cooking times and instructions the same. If I really get into using the IP a lot I may trade up to a 6-qt model. I find the 3-qt inner pot a bit small for convenient sauteeing and a bit small for some other things. I'm still learning how to use the IP and haven't cooked many things in it yet, but I'm already impressed that it makes the best (most tender) corn on the cob and best (perfectly cooked and easiest to peel) hard-boiled eggs I've ever had. Oh, and great corned beef in about a fifth of the time as a slow cooker. I found online recipes for pressure-cooked corned beef with a wide range of cook times and finally went with, and have had good success with, a Wolfgang Puck recipe: 90 minutes of pressure cooking, natural release to prevent meat fibers from contracting, and a liquid of beer + beef broth.
So a corned beef hunk of meat fits in the 3 qt. What foods/recipes did you find too large?
Old Jun 27, 2020, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by boxo
I've had my 6 qt IP for four years and have debated for months whether to buy a 3 qt. For those of you who have both, what do you cook in your 3 qt? I like the idea of a smaller counter footprint. I use mine often enough, every 2-3 days, I leave mine on the counter.

So a corned beef hunk of meat fits in the 3 qt. What foods/recipes did you find too large?
I have both a 6 qt and a 3 qt. I cook everything that I would cook in the 6 qt. in the 3 qt. It's perfect for cooking a few pounds of chicken breasts or thighs.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
I have both a 6 qt and a 3 qt. I cook everything that I would cook in the 6 qt. in the 3 qt. It's perfect for cooking a few pounds of chicken breasts or thighs.
Thanks. I've never seen the 3 qt in person and it's hard to imagine how much smaller the the pot is. I mean obviously 50% smaller, but you know what I mean. Being able to fit a few pounds of chicken is sufficient for my party of one.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by boxo
Thanks. I've never seen the 3 qt in person and it's hard to imagine how much smaller the the pot is. I mean obviously 50% smaller, but you know what I mean. Being able to fit a few pounds of chicken is sufficient for my party of one.
It is good for 1 person.
boxo likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 9:01 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
From today's Numlock News

Instant Pots

The Instant Pot may be over: After initially beginning to get popular in 2016, by 2018 they started really becoming a hot commodity that would peak in January of 2020. Now, though, the Instant Pot — basically just a pressure cooker that did ok on the SAT — has seen interest decline, with June 2021 search interest at a post-2018 nadir and this past holiday season seeing far lower demand. Its crown was stolen by the air fryer, which is a convection oven that you can plug in or just stow away for months of disuse. About 25 million air fryers were sold in 2020 and 2021. Part of the Instant Pot’s decline is in its success: In 2020, 36 percent of households had one.

Bettina Makalintal, Eater

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.