Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Instant Pot

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:54 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Other than hardboiled eggs (one layer of eggs on the rack, 1 cup of water, high pressure for 5 minutes, about 5 minutes of natural steam release and then quick release, plunge into ice water and peel immediately), this is my favorite IP recipe. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are fine: Quick and Easy Pressure Cooker Chicken, Lentil, and Bacon Stew With Carrots Recipe | Serious Eats
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
You mean this isn't a thread about an automatic dispenser for marijuana???
sonomawine likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
You mean this isn't a thread about an automatic dispenser for marijuana???
That's exactly what I think every time I see the headline.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137
That's exactly what I think every time I see the headline.
I was beginning to think I was the only one!
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fwoomp
But is the Instant Pot used to treat the munchies produced by instant pot?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chrisl137
But is the Instant Pot used to treat the munchies produced by instant pot?
You can have amazing real mac n cheese in 20 minutes, so yes?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by fwoomp

You weren't. I thought it was some kind of MJ coffee.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have heard our U. K. friends say they bring "pot plants" as gifts. Indeed!

I had not heard of the Instant Pot myself until recently, but didn't make that association until you guys mentioned it now. Then again, living in WA, I wasn't fazed earlier today realizing a new shop readying for opening as I passed is to be a (non medical) cannabis emporium.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Back to the IP. I bought one a year ago. I love it! I made a fantastic tomato sauce for lasagna tonight. I used the saute function to brown onions and other veggies and then added the tomatoes and spices and seasoning and cooked on manual for about 40 minutes. I used it for beef rendang. I do brown meat in a large frying pan to save time but then the stew function slow cooks meats perfectly. I sautéed the sauce down after cooking. It's fast. I don't know of anyone's whose IP exploded.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:17 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Having now welcomed this thread from its former home in OMNI, I have removed off-topic posts that were trending towards OMNI/PR topics.

Those interested in this thread might also find this comparison thread helpful:

Crock Pot Express Pot vs. Instant Pot vs. Do I Really Need This?

cblaisd, Co-Moderator
Dining Buzz
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by travelmad478
What I have heard about the Instant Pot is that it is good at many things, but rice is not one of them—keep the Zojirushi. I am idly contemplating the IP, but wondering why a person who’s lived 50 years without either a pressure cooker or a slow cooker would suddenly change her cooking methods to use one. (However, I did come to the rice cooker late in life and absolutely love it.)
I also came to a rice cooker late in life, and this is the best thing ever. Of course, I can make rice in a regular pot, but it's less work if I throw everything in the rice pot while the rest of the meal is being prepared.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: NA
6 qt is enough for a family at least for mine
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: Delta
What I have heard about the Instant Pot is that it is good at many things, but rice is not one of them—keep the Zojirushi.
Not so. I think the Instant Pot does very well at cooking rice of all kinds. I've used it for white rice (a 1-button operation with the "Rice" function), and with the right settings, found with some experimentation, have got excellent results with brown rice, wild rice, and "quick" (scarified) brown rice. You can certainly retire a standard rice cooker if you get an Instant Pot. (That said, I admit I don't know what a Zojirushi is capable of in cooking rice.)
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA PPro, QF Gold, DL Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
I cook for 1 and use my IP all the time. I love it. I always make enough for leftovers and make shredded chicken and bone broth weekly.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I am idly contemplating the IP, but wondering why a person who’s lived 50 years without either a pressure cooker or a slow cooker would suddenly change her cooking methods to use one.
Last year, I bought my first crockpot, after a similar number of years without one. Used it a handful of times and decided none of my usual recipes (modified for the crockpot) turned out as well as they did on the stove.

The crockpot now sits in a cabinet taking up very valuable space in my small Manhattan kitchen. I'll probably give it one more shot before getting rid of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.