Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quick breakfasts?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Quick breakfasts?

I'm not a big fan of cooking breakfast every morning, and I can only eat so much oatmeal or toast. Please suggest some breakfasts that I can prepare on the weekend and freeze or refrigerate and eat throughout the week, with minimal heating time (think microwave), and minimal preparation.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Given the OP's handle, I'd be tempted to say that he or she should investigate some boil in the bag kippers. Delicious if you don't mind the kitchen reeking of the smell.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Breakfast burrito. Eggs, potatoes, cheese, meat, veggies, and all wrapped in a toast substitute (tortilla).

Last edited by pseudoswede; Sep 12, 2016 at 8:52 am
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:57 am

Quiche cups. Chop/saute veggies/meats of choice, Beat eggs & milk in a large measuring cup. Grease muffin tin. Add veggies/meats/cheese to muffin tins. Put eggs over top of veggie mix until 3/4 full. bake at 350 until done usually about 15 mins.

If you want them to puff up, you can add a bit of baking powder.

You could also make savoury muffins. Use either a cornbread muffin recipe or http://www.canadianliving.com/food/r...e-mini-muffins You can make them with whatever combo of meat/cheese/veg you want

Yogurt bowl - greek yogurt topped with fruit/nuts/granola/hemp hearts/coconut etc. Drizzle with honey or maple syrup

Smoothie - blend fruit (fresh or frozen), yogurt, spices, juice/almond/soy/coconut milk & ice. Add protein powder if you wish

Last edited by mromalley; Sep 12, 2016 at 2:30 pm Reason: forgot the milk
Old Sep 12, 2016, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by mromalley
Quiche cups. Chop/saute veggies/meats of choice, Beat eggs in a large measuring cup. Grease muffin tin. Add veggies/meats/cheese to muffin tins. Put eggs over top of veggie mix until 3/4 full. bake at 350 until done usually about 15 mins.
I was going to recommend something similar (I typically add milk or almond milk to the egg mixture, plus herbs, typical baking time for me is 20 mins). Once baked you can refrigerate for a few days, or even freeze, and reheat in the microwave. You can vary the ingredients so it's not always the same. A few with spinach and ham, some with broccoli and tomatoes, etc.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Originally Posted by kipper
I'm not a big fan of cooking breakfast every morning, and I can only eat so much oatmeal or toast. Please suggest some breakfasts that I can prepare on the weekend and freeze or refrigerate and eat throughout the week, with minimal heating time (think microwave), and minimal preparation.
I guess it's a cultural thing, I dont'know anyone here who actually cooks something for breakfast, as in something hot, while this is very common in the states/uk. The most I would cook would be oatmeal (I soak it the night before in milk, then in the morning add a bit more milk and cook it). Some people will eat fried eggs in the morning but I can't personally handle that so early, for me that's more of a lunch type meal. I guess it's all just cultural right.

In terms of porridge I actually prefer Buckwheat porridge to oat meal, however I don't know if you can find the necessary buckweat groats in the states. In fact it's a bit of an old fashioned food item even here where many smaller stroes don't carry it anymore. But I like it better than oatmeal. It's also healthy and gluten free.

We generally eat sandwiches with whatever you want in the morning (think cheese, cold cuts, or sweet stuff such as jam, peanutbutter, nutella etc.), or muesli/granola/cruesli/cornflakes/other cereal with milk. Now as I don't like just plain milk personally I eat the latter with yoghurt or with buttermilk but that's just my personal taste. What you can also eat is fruit, of course. The minimal """"breakfast"""" here would be a cup of coffee and a cigarette but that's probably not the healthiest option
Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:41 am

How about Chia seed pudding?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:46 am

I make cooked breakfasts probably 29 days out of every 30, and I am *not* a morning person. For me the secret is advanced planning and prep. On Sunday night I whisk up a bowl of pancake batter which keeps 3 or 4 days in the fridge, and once the batter is ready it takes only a few minutes to actually cook the pancakes. Also prep fruit the night before so it just gets spooned over the pancakes. Another option is the whisk the eggs, etc. for scrambled eggs or an omelet the night before and organize whatever you might add, like cheese or chives.

French toast can be made in batches and frozen. I reheat it on the griddle as it does not microwave well.

Bacon, Canadian bacon and sausage: have individual portions ready. Bacon does o.k. in the microwave, Canadian bacon or sausage in the skillet. The way to make the process seem faster is to interlace one's tasks: start the sausage and while it's cooking either pack lunch or feed the pets (you got doggies, we got cats . oh, and fish, waaaay too many tropical fish).

If you get to that meat market in Lancaster, their beef sticks are a good option for the absolutely-zero-time-eat-in-the-car days.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Check out some of the suggestions in "The South Beach Diet."
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
My wife has been doing these mason jar breakfasts with granola, yogurt and fruit. She loves them.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:17 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
perhaps try making my breakfast goop to place on a tortilla and nuke for less than 1 minute for a quick breakfast taco:

On a Sunday, in one pot, I'll sauté:
chorizo (or chopped turkey sausage)
vegetarian chorizo (keeps the recipe healthy(er))
diced chilies (Serrano or Jalapeno, as well as poblano)
diced onion
then add: sliced mushrooms & sauté for a bit more
then add: 1 can of refried beans (I really like black beans (lowfat, tons of flavor, good fiber) but will use fat free pinto as well)
1 cup of shredded cheese.

The whole concoction becomes goop which is DELICIOUS on a tortilla.

The goop becomes firm when put in fridge, so I scoop a bit out the following mornings, place on a tortilla, nuke the tortilla & mixture, and there you go, a tasty breakfast taco in less than 1 minute for my weekday breakfasts. The beans and chorizo/sausage have the satisfying protein that I crave in the mornings.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
On Sunday night I whisk up a bowl of pancake batter which keeps 3 or 4 days in the fridge, and once the batter is ready it takes only a few minutes to actually cook the pancakes.
For my kids, especially when I'm traveling that week, I will make a large batch of pancakes* on Sunday morning--both plain and chocolate chip. I put them into a large ziplock bag between layers of wax paper and store it in the freezer. When demanded for breakfast, they can be reheated in a toaster.

* - vegan variety; I use a powdered egg replacer and unsweetened soy milk

Last edited by pseudoswede; Sep 13, 2016 at 3:36 pm
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
For my kids, especially when I'm traveling that week, I will make a large batch of pancakes* on Sunday morning--both plain and chocolate chip. I put them into a large ziplock bag between layers of wax paper. When demanded for breakfast, they can be reheated in a toaster.

* - vegan variety; I use a powdered egg replacer and unsweetened soy milk
Ours are gluten-free, soy-free and high protein. Love the world of food allergies...

How do you heat a pancake in a toaster? They don't usually stand upright very well.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I make cooked breakfasts probably 29 days out of every 30, and I am *not* a morning person. For me the secret is advanced planning and prep. On Sunday night I whisk up a bowl of pancake batter which keeps 3 or 4 days in the fridge, and once the batter is ready it takes only a few minutes to actually cook the pancakes. Also prep fruit the night before so it just gets spooned over the pancakes. Another option is the whisk the eggs, etc. for scrambled eggs or an omelet the night before and organize whatever you might add, like cheese or chives.

French toast can be made in batches and frozen. I reheat it on the griddle as it does not microwave well.

Bacon, Canadian bacon and sausage: have individual portions ready. Bacon does o.k. in the microwave, Canadian bacon or sausage in the skillet. The way to make the process seem faster is to interlace one's tasks: start the sausage and while it's cooking either pack lunch or feed the pets (you got doggies, we got cats . oh, and fish, waaaay too many tropical fish).

If you get to that meat market in Lancaster, their beef sticks are a good option for the absolutely-zero-time-eat-in-the-car days.
When I say I don't want to cook in the mornings, I mean I don't want to cook and deal with pans that need to be washed. As such, pancakes, non-microwaved scrambled eggs, and French toast are all out.
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
perhaps try making my breakfast goop to place on a tortilla and nuke for less than 1 minute for a quick breakfast taco:

On a Sunday, in one pot, I'll sauté:
chorizo (or chopped turkey sausage)
vegetarian chorizo (keeps the recipe healthy(er))
diced chilies (Serrano or Jalapeno, as well as poblano)
diced onion
then add: sliced mushrooms & sauté for a bit more
then add: 1 can of refried beans (I really like black beans (lowfat, tons of flavor, good fiber) but will use fat free pinto as well)
1 cup of shredded cheese.

The whole concoction becomes goop which is DELICIOUS on a tortilla.

The goop becomes firm when put in fridge, so I scoop a bit out the following mornings, place on a tortilla, nuke the tortilla & mixture, and there you go, a tasty breakfast taco in less than 1 minute for my weekday breakfasts. The beans and chorizo/sausage have the satisfying protein that I crave in the mornings.
That sounds very yummy!
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:18 pm

When I say I don't want to cook in the mornings, I mean I don't want to cook and deal with pans that need to be washed. As such, pancakes, non-microwaved scrambled eggs, and French toast are all out.
The completely zero cooking and pan washing wasn't clear from the original post. I thought you were trying to minimize time expenditure in the morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.