Wiki Posts
Search

Appropriate tip for slow food when it is the server's fault

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Having grown up in the South, I don't mind this so much, especially in a diner or cafe. In a high end restaurant, i agree with you.
I guess it's the use of sweetie/hon/babydoll ad nauseum that gets to me. Once is enough.

I have a look that follows that. If they look at my face, they sometimes see it and stop.

Yesterday at the dry cleaners, the cashier wasn't looking at me and finished every sentence with an insincere term of endearment. I was ready to puke by the time I got out of there. I'm a southerner too but I grew up in New England which means I don't buy into every aspect of southern culture.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Springs1
Have had my entree completely rung up entirely wrong(server admitted to it), had my husband had the same thing as well happen at another restaurant, had forgotten to put in appetizer orders, side salads/cups of soup, etc. Have had lots of bar drinks forgotten from the bar(twice a long time(once 30 minutes, another time 25 minutes), etc.

In your situation, since that server didn't even pay for a soft drink off your bill(could have out of their own pocket if the manager didn't comp anything with YOUR SERVER asking(NOT YOU), I would have completely stiffed. Now if you would have been offered a comp from the server(meaning you didn't ask the manager), 8%-10%. Now if you had to ask for a manager and you did the complaining to get the freebie yourself, then stiff would be in the server's future. Usually the reason why this happens is that they either are playing around or purposely going out of order of turns so that's why they forget. In a situation before, our waiter was playing around on the job instead of WORKING, so he forgot what he was going to do.

It all depends on the situation. Once, our waiter admitted he forgot to put an appetizer order in(we ordered it at the greeting along with our drinks). I did see why though. I had remembered he went to hug someone he knew. Well, anyway, unlike most that don't care, our waiter PROFUSELY apologized twice(so sorry's), and offered something for free(chips and salsa, which was a menu item, not free of charge). So I told him we had enough food, that I'd rather have something off the bill even if it's just a coke. So he got $5 off our check(meaning WE didn't have to talk to a manager at all about it). We gave him 16% BEFORE the $5 discount. Now, if he would have not gotten us a comp and not apologized, we would have left absolutely nothing at all. If he would have just apologized a tiny sorry, not a "so sorry" and no comp, 6%. If he would have said "so sorry", but no comp 10%.

Now in our situation, it was just an appetizer, not our entire meals, but it still delayed things a lot.(at least 15 minutes I would think or so) In our situation, we found out due to my husband asking about where our appetizer order was and that's how we found out before our entrees came out.

It depends *WHY* it happened. In my situation from my previous post right before this one, the waiter me and my husband had HUGGED someone. He PLAYED on the job. So if he wouldn't have apologized or gotten something comped, he wouldn't have had a tip. So what they were honest. That doesn't mean they weren't playing around as to WHY it happened in the first place.

I had a waitress once when another server ran the food, part of my order was missing(a condiment and a side dish). I had seen our waitress when I had gone to the bathroom after I ordered putting on make-up. She was not in the dining area and she could have brought out the condiment out ahead of time rather than PLAYING on the job. So that hurt her tip to see WHY I got my order wrong. Wasn't that my server was doing her job, was it?
Wow, have high standards for a job that doesn't even pay minimum wage? I know servers who were fired by corporate, even though their local franchise owner loved the server, because corporate determined they were comping too many things. Never mind that the comps were fine with management, corporate felt their comp rate was higher than normal. Servers cannot always comp things without management's approval, or may be very reluctant to comp anything.

As far as playing on the job, do you spend every second of every work day working, not applying make-up, not talking to any coworkers about anything other than business? I would rather have a server who is having fun than one who is a sourpuss because they can't have any fun at work.

The server bringing out the condiment before your meal is great, assuming she's supposed to get it. In some restaurants, depending on the condiment, it is the kitchen's responsibility to place the condiment in a container and place it on the plate. The server should ensure it is entered into the computer so the kitchen knows, but a different server wouldn't know it was supposed to be there necessarily.
The asking about dessert until everyone is finished I 100% AGREE WITH, but the clearing plates I don't quite get if you are finished with them?

For me anyway, I LOVE when they take my dirty dishes to get them out of my way. My husband is a faster eater than I am and it makes us have more room on the table if they take his plate and it's faster when I am finished to be able to pay and leave faster. I don't see the point in making him have an empty dirty plate in front of him simply because I don't eat as quickly as he does?

The asking about dessert while I am still eating(and he's not), takes a deduction in the server's tip. THAT IS RUSHING ME. It's common sense people usually share desserts and eat courses together, so at the time the server takes my husband's plate, the server should only ask "Is there anything I can get you all at the moment?" That's it. NO word about dessert. It's like I want to say to them(but I don't) " HOW THE HELL ARE WE SUPPOSED TO KNOW IF WE WANT A DESSERT OR NOT, HUH?" That one just irks me to no end.

Also, as you said bringing the check without offering anything else(dessert or after dinner drink), is rushing me as well. To those of you who want your check fast, *YOU* ask for it after you order your entrees. I mean really, it's that simple. You don't even have to pay until after you finished eating, but you can still ask for your check to be brought to you before you get your food. The server will abide(most likely) if you tell them that you are in a hurry and need your check before your food arrives. I am never in that situation to want quick service like that. While we hate waiting for our check a long time after we had asked for it, I still don't want anyone making decisions for us that's not theirs to make since they aren't paying for the service. Even if they guess right, points off the tip for being controlling(spending our tip money before we even give it even on what *THEY* want the service to be rather than what *WE* want it to be, as it SHOULD be since it's OUR service, OUR tip money, OUR WAY!
There are times where I know I'm getting a dessert before I finish my meal, or will get a dessert to go. Likewise, sometimes, my husband and I don't split a dessert. We'll each order one, or one of us will get one, the other won't. Please don't assume that everyone shares desserts.

If one asks for the check before one gets their food, then the server will probably figure the patron will eat quickly, not want refills, etc., and not be very attentive.
So what she was honest? That means NOTHING! What means something is if she was playing on the job or BUSTING ...? If she wasn't busy and she didn't seem to be working too hard, I wouldn't put brownie points towards lazy and uncaring workers. I don't count the honesty, because no matter what they can't give me my time back. I'd rather have my time than them to comp my meal personally. My time is worth more than the money.

As I said in my other post, it would depend on the situation and what had happened. I don't count the honesty thing at all. You can easily catch that on your check(we have had once ordered at Outback, my husband had a side salad and we shared an appetizer as well as 2 entrees, which we ordered around 5:53p.m., check had 6:11p.m.) Same thing happened at Texas Roadhouse wondering why we waited so long. I saw why, the server waited too long to put in our entree orders. You can probably catch a server in a lie anyway and that's why she told the OP. It's very easy to catch when they have the time on the check(assuming they have the time they put it in, not the time they printed the check).
Honesty is important to me, and I would reward honesty. Let me get this correct... You would rather a server, who makes about $3/hour, plus tips, comp your $20 meal, because they made a mistake, so you can leave them a $2 or $3 tip?

The time on most checks is not the time you ordered, but the time the server pulled up your check to print it. I know the time on the Texas Roadhouse receipt is the time they pulled it up to print it. As an FYI, Texas Roadhouse has very specific timing that they try to follow. It's something like appetizer within 5-10 minutes, salads within 5 minutes of the appetizer being delivered, entrees within 15 minutes of salads or appetizer, depending on what was ordered. I would guess Outback and other restaurants have something similar. What may seem like too long to you may be following their corporate timeline.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:12 am

people need to stop perpetuating the notion that not tipping servers, or tipping less than 15%, cuts into their income.

outside of california, if servers (or anyone whose wages are expected to be supplemented by tips) don't make 15%, their employers must make up the difference. in california, tipped workers make full minimum wage already, and the tip is truly a "bonus."

the whole reason we've had tip inflation, with the spreading expectation to tip 20% or more, is restaurant employers trying to protect themselves from this obligation. if the restaurant convinces three customers to tip 20%, then it doesn't have to worry about the fourth who doesn't leave any tip.

remember: the server whose conduct makes you want to leave a 0% is the restaurant's problem, not yours. if circumstances justify leaving a small tip or no tip at all, then leave the tip that you feel is appropriate.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by crabbing
people need to stop perpetuating the notion that not tipping servers, or tipping less than 15%, cuts into their income.

outside of california, if servers (or anyone whose wages are expected to be supplemented by tips) don't make 15%, their employers must make up the difference. in california, tipped workers make full minimum wage already, and the tip is truly a "bonus."

the whole reason we've had tip inflation, with the spreading expectation to tip 20% or more, is restaurant employers trying to protect themselves from this obligation. if the restaurant convinces three customers to tip 20%, then it doesn't have to worry about the fourth who doesn't leave any tip.

remember: the server whose conduct makes you want to leave a 0% is the restaurant's problem, not yours. if circumstances justify leaving a small tip or no tip at all, then leave the tip that you feel is appropriate.
The restaurant must only make up the difference in wages up to the current minimum wage.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crabbing

I don't believe this is 100% correct. I think the restaurant is obligated to pay the server the full minimum hourly wage. Here in FL, the minimum wage is $5.03 for tipped employees and $8.05 otherwise. If a tipped employee earns no tips, the restaurant is on the hook for the difference of $3.02 for each hour worked. An employee who fails to earn the minimum of $3.02/hour in tips would not be employed long in most restaurants.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I don't believe this is 100% correct. I think the restaurant is obligated to pay the server the full minimum hourly wage. Here in FL, the minimum wage is $5.03 for tipped employees and $8.05 otherwise. If a tipped employee earns no tips, the restaurant is on the hook for the difference of $3.02 for each hour worked. An employee who fails to earn the minimum of $3.02/hour in tips would not be employed long in most restaurants.
You would be surprised... People often don't tip well, and large parties are usually the worst. A large table can tie up a server for well over an hour, and then tip less than $5 on a check. It's why unless the service is horrible, I always tip at least 15%.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lots of posters here must just HATE eating in restaurants in Europe. Where their ability to judge - and more importantly to them - let the people who serve them KNOW they're being judged and compensated not according their employers' desires, but by THEM. In a no-tip system, your little notes on the Bill are cute, maybe, but that's it. Not worth the time.
I wonder if these posters also wonder why they get treated rudely in French shops when they ignore the FIRST rule of French etiquette - greet the people serving you as you enter. Yes in the US it's the clerk who is supposed to greet the customer. But it's the opposite in France and if the French feel you're being rude, they can out-rude any American any day.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rickg523
Lots of posters here must just HATE eating in restaurants in Europe. Where their ability to judge - and more importantly to them - let the people who serve them KNOW they're being judged and compensated not according their employers' desires, but by THEM. In a no-tip system, your little notes on the Bill are cute, maybe, but that's it. Not worth the time.
I wonder if these posters also wonder why they get treated rudely in French shops when they ignore the FIRST rule of French etiquette - greet the people serving you as you enter. Yes in the US it's the clerk who is supposed to greet the customer. But it's the opposite in France and if the French feel you're being rude, they can out-rude any American any day.
Speaking of judging ....
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by davie355
At lunch today, 15 minutes after we ordered entrees, our server said they'd be out in a few minutes. After another 15 minutes, she said they'd be a few more minutes because she had forgotten to submit our order to the kitchen

Our server provided all this info on her own initiative; we never asked. She was polite, and she apologized in passing for the delay, but this was a substantial delay, relative to the times I've dined in the past. (The restaurant is attached to a full-service boutique hotel.)

We did not complain in any way about the delay, or about anything, for that matter. I decided that if we received any compensation, such as dessert, I'd tip a normal amount, but that if we received nothing, I would tip nothing.

We didn't ask for or receive any compensation. My dining companion insisted I tip something because the server wasn't rude, and I agreed, so I gave 12.5%.

What would you have done?
Tipping is not required in the US. It is generally given for service, and should reflect how pleased you are with that service. 15 to 20% is standard for OK service, great service gets more.

This means that if the service is terrible, the tip goes down proportionately. I have a running tip clock in my head that starts at 20% and goes up or down as the meal goes on. On a few rare occasions, I have NOT tipped at all. And on two particularly awful occasions, I have drawn 0's on the tip line with happy faces on them!

I should also point out that you were paying, not your companion. As such, they have no right to insist. If they insist on leaving a tip, hand them the bill.

And for those that tip because the servers make low hourly wages, I can only say this: File that under "not my problem".

I don't have a responsibility to make up gaps in the business' payroll.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:41 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a girl who said that if her date is a lousy tipper even if the service was bad, they won't get another date from her or her friends.

I so hate the tipping culture in North America. I didn't have to deal with it when I was Europe, but it appears to be creeping into SE Asia.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:57 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Topic check!

The topic at hand is "Appropriate tip for slow food when it is the server's fault"

Please take general discussions of tipping to one of the many threads that can be found here or in Travel Buzz.

Thank you,

cblaisd
Co-Moderator, Dining Buzz
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vh_bu98
This reminds me of a conversation I had with a girl who said that if her date is a lousy tipper even if the service was bad, they won't get another date from her or her friends.

I so hate the tipping culture in North America. I didn't have to deal with it when I was Europe, but it appears to be creeping into SE Asia.
If the service was good and my date left a lousy tip I would assume they were a cheapskate and stingy. Buh-bye and no thanks. I don't need anyone else's money and am not a gold digger but I don't like cheap skates and this is an indication that they will be selfish in other areas as well.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
A harsh result for what sounds like a one-off by a nice server. Depending on the place, a server might be quite limited in the ability to comp an item.

The server's candor was rare. I don't need to ruin her day or perhaps her livelihood by anything more than perhaps a reduced tip.

There are plenty of reasons to "talk to management" as a customer of the service industry. For me, this is not one.
We'll agree to disagree. The server represents the restaurant that he/she presumably does not own. I appreciate the candor, but there are consequences to actions. No tip is certainly one of them. And one bad day can lead to being sacked. If the server did, indeed, have a one-off day, then his/her employer will understand. But I don't need to tip for poor service that's directly the responsibility of the server.

And maybe he/she ruined MY day by providing lousy service. Maybe it was a rare lunch with my spouse, or an anniversary or birthday celebration. That cuts both ways. And management should definitely know what's going on in its restaurant. I don't know how sweeping this under the rug benefits anyone.

Originally Posted by BamaVol
On this, we agree. It doesn't seem worthy of escalation. Someone would have to foul up seriously, repeatedly, or on purpose before I would approach their manager.
Last time I checked, it's a SERVICE business. If the server isn't fulfilling that part of the job description, management should know. It's not my concern whether the manager is a hothead or if that person gets sacked. I paid for my meal and I have a right to expect better service than what was provided. If it's truly a one-off experience, management is apt to comp my meal, let the server know, and everyone moves on. If there's more to the story, well, then I guess I'd be glad that I escalated the issue. Again, if I owned the restaurant, I'd want to know that I had a dissatisfied customer to try to mitigate the situation then and there. No need to let an unhappy guest let loose on Yelp or someplace else.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 2, 2016 at 6:41 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
Wow, have high standards for a job that doesn't even pay minimum wage?
I have high standards because they want our tip money, so the job doesn't just pay min. wage. High standards because they want OUR MONEY at the end. I expect to tip 25%-30% for excellent service I start out there. We have left every kind of tip from nothing to even over 30% before.

I ate out by myself once last year due to my husband was working, left the waitress $7 on a $12 and something cent check.

I have high standards because **WE** THE PEOPLE PAYING FOR THE SERVICE, SO YEAH we should get ALL the SAY SO IN IT as to how we want the service since we are PAYING for it.

Originally Posted by kipper
I know servers who were fired by corporate, even though their local franchise owner loved the server, because corporate determined they were comping too many things. Never mind that the comps were fine with management, corporate felt their comp rate was higher than normal. Servers cannot always comp things without management's approval, or may be very reluctant to comp anything.
You are 100% WRONG, because servers can pay for customer's stuff if they choose to. I have seen servers on the internet say they paid for customers items because they genuinely felt bad and didn't want to get stiffed.

I know I'd rather pay for a coke if I were a server than get completely stiffed because the customer thought I didn't care about them. While it might make me pay for it if the customer stiffed me still, I would deserve it. WHY should the company pay for something *I* messed up? That is a bit unfair, don't ya agree?

They can always comp things without a manager's approval if *THEY* PAY FOR IT, DUHH! You have NO CLUE OF WTH you are talking about!

As far as playing on the job, do you spend every second of every work day working, not applying make-up, not talking to any coworkers about anything other than business?
In all honesty, when I have work, I am not playing. I even had my recommendation letter have my former boss put "She was always detailed and gave 100%." This was from a place I worked at for almost 6yrs that I was laid off from in 2012. At that office, when the internet server was down, everyone else was playing except me and one other lady that cleaned. She dusted, while I vacuumed. I *****EARN********* my pay. I am not lazy. I don't like being bored. I would rather have SOMETHING to do than nothing. At the donut shop/diner I worked for back in 1998-2002 off and on a little over 2yrs worth(I was counter help), I used to when I had down time(usually an afternoon shift it wasn't as busy), I would help clean the back, move things to sweep under, wipe the chairs, etc. Things that NOBODY ELSE did but ME. At that donut shop/diner job, I got a raise within a month and a half of working there(this was my very first job back then). Went from min. wage $5.15/hr to $5.50/hr. We made tips at the donut shop/diner as well.

I try to just do my work. When it has been slow and I had the time, THEN I chatted with co-workers. Understand the HUGE DIFFERENCE HERE? If I was busy, HECK NO would I be playing around. I had no time to.

I would rather have a server who is having fun than one who is a sourpuss because they can't have any fun at work.
We shall see when you want to leave or choking that you want your drink or check...... It's easy to say until you need something and your server is flirting or chic chatting it up with customers.

I'd rather pay someone that WORKS for their money than a LAZY, UNCARING worker. I don't want a lazy worker working for the tip I am giving them. They are there to do their job, so do their job.

I bet if you saw your server while your food got cold chit chatting, you wouldn't be too happy. Don't lie now..

I bet if you had to leave, you saw your server was flirting with a guy, you would be pissed you didn't have your check and you know it. Don't lie now!

I'd rather have a person that is ****WORKING******** for that tip. I am not going to pay them to stand there and look pretty. It's not a modeling gig.

The server bringing out the condiment before your meal is great, assuming she's supposed to get it. In some restaurants, depending on the condiment, it is the kitchen's responsibility to place the condiment in a container and place it on the plate.
I have had LOTS of servers bring condiments out before my food( some did it on their own, others I asked). My point of this is, that the server can **********ALWAYS************* bring the condiments ahead of time. I have even seen a waitress we had at Chili's pump the ranch out the pump. Servers have A LOT of power over issues and the condiments issue, they are 100% RESPONSIBLE for no matter *WHO* runs the food. Servers should earn their *OWN* tip in this life. NOT to be dependent on another server that isn't seeing a part of the tip we give.

The server should ensure it is entered into the computer so the kitchen knows, but a different server wouldn't know it was supposed to be there necessarily.
Actually they would because they have a *TICKET OR KITCHEN COMPUTER SCREEN ORDER TO COMPARE THE FOOD TO. HOW do you think they get your order right in the kitchen to begin with before it comes to you? Because the server put in the order correctly. That other server can always find out what I ordered if they ask to see the ticket(IF THE SERVER PUT IN THE ORDER RIGHT OF COURSE), it's just that simple. The main thing is, MY SERVER THAT IS EARNING MY TIP I AM GIVING IS THE PERSON THAT SHOULD BE SERVING ME, NOT THIS OTHER SERVER ANYWAYS SO THE CONDIMENTS ISSUE IS ON THE SERVER. It's NEVER a kitchen staff error no matter even if a member of the kitchen staff brought me my food, my server STILL could have brought the condiments out ahead of time. You don't realize HOW MANY SERVERS ALL ON THEIR OWN brought my condiments out before my food was ready. There's been a number of them over the years. There's also been times where I asked for them to do so and 99.9% of them complied.

There are times where I know I'm getting a dessert before I finish my meal, or will get a dessert to go. Likewise, sometimes, my husband and I don't split a dessert. We'll each order one, or one of us will get one, the other won't. Please don't assume that everyone shares desserts.
I 100% TOTALLY AGREE that NO SERVER should **ASSUME** ANYTHING and that goes for bringing the check without asking as well. No server should assume period. I was stating that most people share desserts as to not even ask about it when my husband is finished and I am not. That's rushing me. The server should ask "Is there anything else I can get you all?" Not specifically mentioning dessert.

You don't want people to assume you share a dessert, but seem to be arguing with me about assuming to bring the check without asking, WHY is that, huh? No server should be deciding when it's time go to. That's controlling even if they guess right, I take points off the tip for their controlling ways.

If one asks for the check before one gets their food, then the server will probably figure the patron will eat quickly, not want refills, etc., and not be very attentive.
NO, because you didn't **PAY** yet, I VERY MUCH DISAGREE 100%! ONLY if you pay would that happen. Getting the check doesn't mean anything about paying. You can tell the server "I will wait to pay until I am finished eating." You do realize that, right?

Honesty is important to me, and I would reward honesty. Let me get this correct... You would rather a server, who makes about $3/hour, plus tips, comp your $20 meal, because they made a mistake, so you can leave them a $2 or $3 tip?
No, I NEVER said a $20 meal. A COKE off the bill for my inconvenience, that's it. I WOULD NEVER expect the entire meal to be comped. WHERE do you get that from, huh?

This is what I said in my situation I did really have as I mentioned earlier "So I told him we had enough food, that I'd rather have something off the bill even if it's just a coke. "

Doesn't that tell you all I expected was a coke, not almost 2 cokes worth the $5 he got his manager to take off, huh??

I expect them to PROVE they are sorry if they took away A LONG TIME AWAY from us. Time is money for BOTH of us(server and customer). If they show they care, we care.

The time on most checks is not the time you ordered, but the time the server pulled up your check to print it. I know the time on the Texas Roadhouse receipt is the time they pulled it up to print it. As an FYI, Texas Roadhouse has very specific timing that they try to follow. It's something like appetizer within 5-10 minutes, salads within 5 minutes of the appetizer being delivered, entrees within 15 minutes of salads or appetizer, depending on what was ordered. I would guess Outback and other restaurants have something similar. What may seem like too long to you may be following their corporate timeline.
See, if I were a server, if let's say a party of 2 would order an appetizer, a salad, and 2 entrées, I would ask if the customer wanted their side salad before their appetizer. I have been served my side salad before our appetizer twice at Marconi Grill without requesting it. It was so cool, because I am hungry and honestly thought that something that takes less time should come out first.

As far as the printing goes, why did my server print it then and not when she entered it if she wanted to print it ahead of time? To me, this makes no sense to print the check when customers can have coupons(especially at Texas Roadhouse) and can get desserts, etc. So it's just stupid to do this because it wastes paper, time, etc. If I were a server, I wouldn't print a check ahead of time period, because there's just too many maybes or I don't knows unless the customer specifically asked me for their check. Talk about wasting time and money by doing that printing it over and over again. This happened once at Ruby Tuesday. This waitress we had decided to bring the check and I had a coupon. She seemed mad. Well, no one made her print the check but her. She had to do the check again. I can't imagine if I ordered dessert, she would have printed the check again only for me to give her a coupon to print the check a 3rd time. It wastes money for the company contributes to prices going up, so I wouldn't dare do a stupid thing like that.

Unless the coupon has the stipulation to tell the server beforehand, I don't, because it creates bad service since all they see is a person that likes cheapness(using a coupon conveys that in their mind) and that you will tip on the discounted amount. Depending on the coupon, if the service was very good, I tip on before the discount. It all depends on the service.

Last edited by Springs1; Jun 2, 2016 at 7:10 pm
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Am I the only slow eater who handles this by informing the server at the outset?
-
I have never had a bad reaction - I use humor. The server usually thanks me, and with expectations set, things go well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.