Himalayan Salt Block

Old Jan 7, 16, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Himalayan Salt Block

I received a Himalayan Salt Block for a gift, and I've got zero experience with the cooking concept. My block has handles, so I can use it with the grill or oven and some recipes talk about chilling or freezing it.

Anyone familiar with one of these?
Old Jan 13, 16, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm not familiar with it, but a couple years ago I received a small Himalayan Salt package that said "Made in the USA" on the back.

I still wonder (a) where this product actually came from and (b) why they call it Himalayan if it is made in the USA? What is the characteristic that makes it Himalayan if it doesn't come from, y'know, the Himalayas?

I did *not* notice this product regularly used or sold while I was in Nepal. At least not packaged and marketed to Westerners the way it is elsewhere.
Old Jan 13, 16, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
No personal experience, but I've heard of them. Here's one site's instructions for their use.

Obviously, don't wash them...
Old Jan 13, 16, 7:59 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dugernaut View Post
Anyone familiar with one of these?
I have never cooked with one but have food served with one. I'd check out the restaurant Salt, there is one at the Ritz on Amelia Island.....I think they have a cook book. The only way I know how to use one of these is to serve food on it and the food absorbs some of the flavor.

Let us know how it works, and if we should come over for dinner
Old Jan 14, 16, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Aren't you supposed to heat up the block, then take it out and use it tabletop to cook raw meats/veg? Salt retains for a while.
Old Jan 14, 16, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Ivory (no more AF), Accor Plat, VS Silver, HH Gold
Isn't it just a high priced desiccant used when dry aging meat?
Old Jan 15, 16, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it is just common sodium chloride salt with an impurity ghat give it a pink color. it is supposed to come from a mine in Pakistan. a lot of salt is mined. thee are really famous mines in poland.
Old Jan 15, 16, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IceTrojan View Post
Aren't you supposed to heat up the block, then take it out and use it tabletop to cook raw meats/veg? Salt retains for a while.
That's my understanding: You heat it and then cook on it. The thermal mass of the salt block makes it good for cooking, and it also imparts a little salt to the food as well in the process.
Old Jan 26, 16, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

update, still sitting in the original box. I have looked through the Salt recipe book that came with it, I think I'm going to try in the summer on the grill. The seared scallops look interesting.
Old Jan 26, 16, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, RC PLAT PREM
Have one and used it a few times. Planning on using Super Bowl weekend to sear wagyu meat.

Meats -- it works better with thinly sliced meats so you can sear them and the flavor of the salt is imparted to the meat. I have only used beef.

Fish -- only tuna so far. Not too thick or thin. Leaves a good flavor on the fish. I am sure shrimp would be good as would salmon.

Veggies -- would not do on the block. Did not pick up any flavor.

My feeling is that the fats from the meat or fish help pick top the flavor whereas in the vegetables, there is nothing to give the "sear".

Also, do not heat it up fast. Go slow otherwise it may crack on you.

Cleaning -- Half a lemon while it is still warm and the stuff will just wipe right off. No chemicals and definitely not in the dishwasher !!
Old Feb 1, 16, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA LTP; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by anaggie View Post

Fish -- only tuna so far. Not too thick or thin. Leaves a good flavor on the fish. I am sure shrimp would be good as would salmon.

Also, do not heat it up fast. Go slow otherwise it may crack on you.

Cleaning -- Half a lemon while it is still warm and the stuff will just wipe right off. No chemicals and definitely not in the dishwasher !!
I have used mine for salmon and it works very well. I do a large filet for 2 on the grill, cooking it very rare (it continues to cook at the table). Once cooked, the fattiness of salmon allows for easy separation with a fork into small portions. If you reach a thicker, too rare portion, you can do a direct sear on it for just a few seconds. I coat the salmon with a simple black pepper and caper butter mixture (no salt of course).

I do agree with slowly heating indirectly so as not to crack.
Old Feb 1, 16, 5:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post
I have never cooked with one but have food served with one. I'd check out the restaurant Salt, there is one at the Ritz on Amelia Island.....I think they have a cook book. The only way I know how to use one of these is to serve food on it and the food absorbs some of the flavor.

Let us know how it works, and if we should come over for dinner
This is what Madone is talking about. An amazing meal.

Old Feb 4, 16, 11:54 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sig05 View Post
This is what Madone is talking about. An amazing meal.

Oh, you've been to Salt?! I regret not going when I had the chance.
Old Feb 4, 16, 12:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post
Oh, you've been to Salt?! I regret not going when I had the chance.
Been a few times and going again next weekend. It's one of our favorite places.
Old Feb 17, 16, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA
As a good home cook, this is a "no" for me. I've never had anything really good in a restaurant off of one. I presumably have less skill.

Search this Thread