Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lectures from the waitstaff

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Interesting how different people in different places interpret things. I (and I suspect most people this side of the pond) would find a waiter clearing plates away whilst someone at the table is still eating to be incredibly rude. Indeed, as a relatively slow eater, I still can't get used to this practice when I visit the USA - it puts so much pressure on you to eat up and get out (that and bringing the bill unbidden, often without even asking about dessert or coffee).
Quite.
I can't ever recall wait-staff attempting to remove plates from my fellow diners whilst others were still eating and if they did I'd politely ask them to stay away until we're ready.
Good wait-staff will know instinctively when it's the right moment and in any case most always ask if everyone has finished before doing so.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
If I'm continuing to eat dinner, I'm at a loss to understand how the waiter removing my wife's empty, dirty dishes qualifies as "rude." I want dirty dishes somewhere else than on my table.

Do you insist that the waiter leave the empty salad plate on the table when he brings the main course? (Assuming, of course, that the salad precedes that main course.)
Presumably they wouldn't serve the main course while someone was still eating their salad so it's a moot point.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Indeed, as a relatively slow eater, I still can't get used to this practice when I visit the USA - it puts so much pressure on you to eat up and get out (that and bringing the bill unbidden, often without even asking about dessert or coffee).
That's "service" in America. It's all about turning tables. More customers = more tips.

Hate the game, not the player.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
I recall one of my favorite restaurants was on the East side of Lafayette, LA, just off IH10. Modest menu, but "specialties of the house" included boiled shrimp and steamed crab sold by the pound both of which arrived in galvanized buckets. Tables, covered in newspaper, had large holes in the middle, below which sat a garbage can for shells. It was the first place I remember providing a roll of paper towels for napkins, and entrees, etc., other than shrimp and crab were served on paper plates, also consigned to the "central disposal facility". Wise patrons brought their own cracking devices, since the joint provided only hammers.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Removing others' dishes before everyone has finished is, in my book, one of the rudest things a server can do and immediately means a halving of the tip. However, I do recognise that in the USA they seem to be trained to do it - so I only halve the tip if they continue to do it after I've told them not to.

Of course, real etiquette is for the faster eater to slow down so as not to pile pressure on the slower eater....
I am with you on this, although living in Canada I have become more used to it. My father, on the other hand, reserves a special shade of puce for this activity, so much so I have to warn the waiting staff ahead of time and out of earshot of my father!

I think quite the rudest waiter I have ever had was in the US when I ordered an asparagus starter. I ate the asparagus with my fingers. He came over, mid bite, and demanded to know if I had "unusable cutlery" very loudly in front of a busy restaurant.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by emma69
I am with you on this, although living in Canada I have become more used to it.
+1

Removing someone's plate while others are still eating is extremely rude, imo.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
As long as it's preceded by "Can I get some of these dishes out of your way?", I am normally very pleased. No doubt partly because I'm American, but I lean toward the practical over the traditional. I don't want to look at dirty dishes/excess clutter on the table.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by bensyd
+1

Removing someone's plate while others are still eating is extremely rude, imo.
it makes me feel rushed, it might be ok in a culture where people like to eat early and race home to watch television, but when I eat out I like to take my time and make my meal the focus of the evening. Having waiters fussing around while people are still eating is rude and intrusive.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by braslvr
As long as it's preceded by "Can I get some of these dishes out of your way?", I am normally very pleased. No doubt partly because I'm American, but I lean toward the practical over the traditional. I don't want to look at dirty dishes/excess clutter on the table.
Obviously, I'm with you.

One may prefer that waitstaff wait until everyone at the table is finished with all their food before they remove empty (dirty) tableware, and that preference is fine. But someone behaving counter to one's preference does not constitute rudeness.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Obviously, I'm with you.

One may prefer that waitstaff wait until everyone at the table is finished with all their food before they remove empty (dirty) tableware, and that preference is fine. But someone behaving counter to one's preference does not constitute rudeness.
In the US both methods are considered acceptable and it is preference.

In Europe it is downright rude, not a preference, to remove the plates before everyone is finished.

One thing I absolutely cannot abide either side of the Atlantic is people putting their cloth napkins on top of an empty plate.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: DL: PM, MR: Plat, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
That's "service" in America. It's all about turning tables. More customers = more tips.

Hate the game, not the player.

What I find truly rude is when a waiter attempts to clear a plate or plates without asking if one is finished eating, even if food is still on the plate. It's become way too frequent. I'm by no means a slow eater, but I like to occasionally put down my cutlery and enjoy my wine for a few sips. Or maybe I'm in conversation with my dining companions.

In any case, I don't know why staff isn't trained to know the standard "cutlery crossed" means don't take, while parallel cutlery means, please take this plate.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emma69
One thing I absolutely cannot abide either side of the Atlantic is people putting their cloth napkins on top of an empty plate.
Why? Presumably both napkin and plate will be washed before their next use.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
My Dad is a slow eater and gets very annoyed by waitstaff who attempt to clear other people's plates before everyone is finished. When I eat out with him this means that I have to carefully pace myself to match him or else I wind up pushing the last few morsels around my plate for 10 minutes while taking increasingly tiny bites and drinking a lot of additional water.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by fotographer
If I am paying to eat at your restaurant then leave me alone when you pay me to eat we will talk
Pretty much this. Unless I'm doing something that completely ruins how I might appreciate the meal, leave me alone. Nothing good can come from putting me on the spot.

Now, if I ask for advice or a recommendation or how best to eat something (i.e., if I have never eaten blue crabs before and am doing it wrong), I'm open to constructive, tactful criticism.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why? Presumably both napkin and plate will be washed before their next use.
A number of reasons, not least because if you put your napkin on a soiled plate, it is going to get far dirtier than simply placing it to the side. Why would you want to make more work for the person laundering the napkin than necessary - it just shows plain inconsiderateness of others.

Not to mention the person having to fish out your napkin from the plates, the fact it makes it harder for them to take plates to the kitchen as they cannot place another plate on top, the fact many do it after the main course, leaving them napkinless for any remaining courses, and having to see other people's napkins dumped on their plates is unsightly.

It really is very déclassé!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.