Reload this Page >

Restaurants with the "party of one"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Restaurants with the "party of one"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:04 pm

It's probably so obvious that it isn't worthy of mention, but "party of one" always strikes me as the ultimate oxymoron.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I often dine alone when traveling on business. In such situations I tend to sit at the restaurant's bar-- assuming a reasonable menu of food is offered there. Service is faster, as there's usually no waiting to sit and it's easier to flag the bartender's attention when I'm ready to order than it is to catch a waiter's attention. Sitting at the bar also offers opportunities to socialize, both with the bartender and with fellow customers.
Totally agree with this especially now that smoking isn't allowed at the bar. I like the friendly service of the bar and find the bartenders to be very attentive to solo diners.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I have no objection to being seated at the bar. From the restaurant's point of view, if I sit at a table, they'll get only one cover for two seats, whereas they get maximum occupancy at the bar (or at communal tables). I respect that in busy establishments.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: Independent
I tend to find it more uncomfortable. I hate the high seating and the lack of comfortable foot space at most bars, seating is too tight, and if I wanted to be seated next to someone I could just share a table. Plus I tend to find that unless the restaurant is dead, the bartenders tend to have too much to do to concentrate on serving food, and often aren't very knowledgeable about the menu.

I have, on the flip side, had some nice experiences eating at the bar. But that has always been during non-busy times with particularly interesting people sitting there.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I travel alone a lot so I'm often dining alone and I don't want a seat at the bar. I've found that if I'm reading a book when the server ambles by, they'll assume I'm solo and I'll get attention quickly.

I do hate the question of "anyone else joining you?". It does have a negative connotation to it.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by Cloudship
I tend to find it more uncomfortable. I hate the high seating and the lack of comfortable foot space at most bars
Originally Posted by CMK10
I travel alone a lot so I'm often dining alone and I don't want a seat at the bar.
I vastly prefer the higher seating at bars. I would rather eat at the bar even when I'm not alone in almost all cases.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Higher end places are always more awkward anywhere when alone, and I'm not one to be intimidated by snooty waiters or that sort of thing
Yeah high end places are the worst when it comes to awkwardness. Which is why my wallet thanks me when I try to find a cheap alternative thats just as good. Not always successful in that regard, but sometimes you'd be surprised.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by CMK10
I travel alone a lot so I'm often dining alone and I don't want a seat at the bar. I've found that if I'm reading a book when the server ambles by, they'll assume I'm solo and I'll get attention quickly.

I do hate the question of "anyone else joining you?". It does have a negative connotation to it.
I ate on my own two nights ago for the first time in a while. I deliberately selected the quietest part of the bar so I could read in peace and eat/drink at my own pace with little to no interruption. Unfortunately it filled quickly with the local society types so my peace was interrupted a little but the book certainly helps avoid that feeling of being on one's own.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I ate on my own two nights ago for the first time in a while. I deliberately selected the quietest part of the bar so I could read in peace and eat/drink at my own pace with little to no interruption. Unfortunately it filled quickly with the local society types so my peace was interrupted a little but the book certainly helps avoid that feeling of being on one's own.
I now substitute my iphone for the book in that situation. Greatest time killer there is
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: Independent
That's another problem with eating at the bar. There can be a lot of commotion, and you end up squeezed in. And it feels awkward sometimes when everyone else all around you is socializing over just drinks and you are trying to eat a meal.

Sometimes bars with small booths when you can find them are better.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
I now substitute my iphone for the book in that situation. Greatest time killer there is
That only works where there is a signal
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

I wonder why there isn't an equivalent of British pubs, where you can get food, and going by yourself isn't weird.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I wonder why there isn't an equivalent of British pubs, where you can get food, and going by yourself isnt weird.
It's historical - british inns formed the heart of british rural and urban life where people congregated and ate/drank socially. They also served as rest stops for travellers.

American bars are a place to hit on the opposite sex and/or get drunk.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
the book certainly helps avoid that feeling of being on one's own.
Agreed. A newspaper or crossword puzzle also does the trick ^
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I wonder why there isn't an equivalent of British pubs, where you can get food, and going by yourself isn't weird.
It's only weird because you're making it weird.

It's historical - british inns formed the heart of british rural and urban life where people congregated and ate/drank socially. They also served as rest stops for travellers.

American bars are a place to hit on the opposite sex and/or get drunk.
Uh. No. Disagree. I eat at bars on my own at least a couple times a month. It's all about what you make it. You can socialize with the bar staff and the others sitting at the bar, or you can stare at your phone or a TV and not say a word to anyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.