Restaurants with the "party of one"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Restaurants with the "party of one"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I often dine alone when traveling on business. In such situations I tend to sit at the restaurant's bar-- assuming a reasonable menu of food is offered there. Service is faster, as there's usually no waiting to sit and it's easier to flag the bartender's attention when I'm ready to order than it is to catch a waiter's attention. Sitting at the bar also offers opportunities to socialize, both with the bartender and with fellow customers.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:14 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
One thing I do like about US restaurant culture is the bar with food. In Europe it's really not so common. With the exception of hotel bars, I can only think of two restaurants at the moment in London with a bar suitable for lone eating...
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Funny and timely thread

I really noticed this effect on my latest Aus trip.. Several places "Is it just going to be you?" And often that correlates with a need to be very proactive about receiving service..

Found more so in business eating establishments which expect groups to be dining..
With really no tipping in Oz, why would the server care? Fewer people, less work, same pay....
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BigJC
I like it when I walk in and the host/hostess greets me with "Oh. Just one?"
That's slightly better than "Are you all alone?" and its translations into various languages).
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
With really no tipping in Oz, why would the server care? Fewer people, less work, same pay....
I'm puzzled too, I find it easier to dine alone in Australia than in most places. Maybe it's just because I live here so I'm more comfortable with the setting than when I'm overseas.

Higher end places are always more awkward anywhere when alone, and I'm not one to be intimidated by snooty waiters or that sort of thing
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I'm not one to be intimidated by snooty waiters or that sort of thing
Can't say that surprises me...
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Can't say that surprises me...

TBH I sort of find them vaguely comical
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi

TBH I sort of find them vaguely comical
The ones in Paris are the best.

They have it down to a fine art.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
The ones in Paris are the best.

They have it down to a fine art.
I had a French one in London who I swear had come straight from Central Casting. My dining companion spoke fluent French, I did not. When I asked a question about the menu he stared down his nose at me as though I'd just crawled out from under a rock and pretended as though he couldn't understand what I was asking about.

Me to friend in a slightly raised voice: You'd think they could at least hire employees who can speak English.

Waiter: Excuse me I can understand you.

Me: I know.

Good times.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I find by the time I'm on my 2nd glass of wine, I really don't care about the fact I am dining on my own or that the service is bad.

Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I tend be the exact opposite. While there are times I might prefer to have a table to myself, I've found myself gravitating to bar seating when dining alone. It probably helps that many restaurants in the US are now nonsmoking so that doesn't interfere with dining.
The problem isn't the eating at the bar. It's the fact that usually that question comes with a tone of "don't waste my time seating/serving/taking care of just one person," instead of a "in case you are interested and didn't know, we do serve food at the bar as well." Because it should be my choice, not something imposed on me by someone who doesn't know how to do their job well.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
The problem isn't the eating at the bar. It's the fact that usually that question comes with a tone of "don't waste my time seating/serving/taking care of just one person," instead of a "in case you are interested and didn't know, we do serve food at the bar as well." Because it should be my choice, not something imposed on me by someone who doesn't know how to do their job well.
What about a neutral "bar or table"? Said in the same tone as "for here or to go" at fast food places (where the cashier could care less)
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by s0ssos
What about a neutral "bar or table"? Said in the same tone as "for here or to go" at fast food places (where the cashier could care less)
That doesn't bother me.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by wrp96
I guess I haven't really encountered that problem since I generally get the question, "would you prefer the bar or a table?" I normally pick the bar, but I've never been refused on the few occasions I've said table. I usually ignore tone because there's such a subjective element to that--unless I continue to get that tone throughout the course of my evening at the restaurant.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
I have no hesitation getting out of my chair to go hunt down the server or manager if necessary.
agree, and service expectations should vary - it is not logical to expect "good" service in a "bad" restaurant .. and or "full service" in a "restaurant" (being used generically) that is not a full service restaurant

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.