Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Restaurants Do You Miss ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Deli Haus, Kenmore Square, Boston. Best greasy spoon diner food I ever had.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by elg26
Great memories of having a drink with an Umbrella.... and a flaming Pu Pu platter....
Still exists - Emeryville, CA - great Tuesday "all night" happy hour.

My first thought of a restaurant that I miss is Des Alpes, San Francisco - a fantastic Basque family-style place in North Beach.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by im-headed-west
Can't say the food was anything you couldn't find in other similar type restaurants but I do miss Chi-Chis.

... lots of cheap but fun dinners there with friends and family.
(and never got food poisoning )
LOL first experience with Fried Ice Cream was there.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
My first thought of a restaurant that I miss is Des Alpes, San Francisco - a fantastic Basque family-style place in North Beach.
So many great, old-style Basque places lost in North Beach/Chinatown. Perhaps the Basque Culture Center in South San Francisco or the Woolgrowers in Los Banos (a bit of a haul) will help you forget the loss.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:22 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This is going to sound silly, especially after some great answers here, but I'm going to miss a Chili's.

I went to Arizona State and there was a Chilis on the corner of Mill and University right by campus. It was a common dorm hangout of ours and also a place I'd go to after night classes as they were open late and had cheap food. It's closing to make way for a new development and it's like a little bit of my college experience is going with it
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by enviroian
Burger chef and Arthur treacher fish and chips.
Go to Fairfax Circle, VA and enjoy yourself. Evidently Arthur Treacher's isn't gone yet.

In fact, it appears that you can go lots of places and get your fill of his "fish and chips".

http://www.arthurtreachersfranchising.com/locations.php
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, WN, GlobalEntry
Chasen's in West Hollywood.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Go to Fairfax Circle, VA and enjoy yourself. Evidently Arthur Treacher's isn't gone yet.

In fact, it appears that you can go lots of places and get your fill of his "fish and chips".

http://www.arthurtreachersfranchising.com/locations.php
Hell, half the rest areas up and down I-95 from VA to MA have an Treacher's in them, along with Sbarro and some of the other usual suspects.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Yesterday's , from the 70's in FLL on the intracoastal. It was the first place I ever had beef Wellington and the best..

And yes I do also miss beef steak Charlie's and steak and ale. It doesn't have to be high end to be missed. Hell when I was a kid I loved the Ollie burger. But that's just me.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:51 am

We had a Vietnamese restaurant that lasted only a few months or so, their Pho was outstanding.

Grandpa's Steak House, a local institution for 60 years closed on Halloween last, as the owners hung up their aprons and retired.

Sax's Pizza. Good home made pizza.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
There used to be a burger stand near Oxford station that was great. Must have been gone for 20 years or so by now.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian
For you Michigan folks... Remember Olga's? That chain served it's original Olga aka gyro.
Olga's is still around in parts of Michigan, though with a smaller footprint than it used to have.

A Michigan chain that I do miss even though I was about 50-60 years too young to be part of its customer base is Bill Knapp's. Dang, they had awesome au gratin potatoes, and it was like the perfect place to take grandma for Sunday dinner.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:12 am

Programs: American AAdvantage; Carlson Goldpoints.
For fine dining......Phil Smidt's, northwest Indiana (*very* near Illinois state line and Chicago city limit). Best lake perch on the planet. I was back in "da region" for the holidays, and extended family says that there are rumors about Phil's coming back, either in Highland or in Schererville. I hope so!!

For fast food: Sisters (or maybe it was "Three Sisters"?).....fried chicken franchise from the Wendy's people. Best fast-food fried chicken, and lots of different side dishes to choose from. Sorry to see it gone.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:36 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
La Cote Basque, NYC - the souffles were always divine
Truffles, Toronto
Chartwell, Vancouver

I miss a lot of the old school dining places....
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by negs
For fine dining......Phil Smidt's, northwest Indiana (*very* near Illinois state line and Chicago city limit). Best lake perch on the planet. I was back in "da region" for the holidays, and extended family says that there are rumors about Phil's coming back, either in Highland or in Schererville. I hope so!!.
Where they putting it? Out by the new shops on 41 and Main Street? I loved Phil Smidt's. you're right it was an institution. Teibels on 41 was/is close and old school like Phil's

Ever go there when your in da region ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.