FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   What Restaurants Do You Miss ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1540009-what-restaurants-do-you-miss.html)

im-headed-west Jan 10, 2014 5:33 am

What Restaurants Do You Miss ?

Can't say the food was anything you couldn't find in other similar type restaurants but I do miss Chi-Chis.

... lots of cheap but fun dinners there with friends and family.
(and never got food poisoning ;) )

Wilbur Jan 10, 2014 8:34 am

The Bungah Raya, a Malaysian restaurant in Mesa.

Angel Sweet, the gelato place with the world's greatest gelato, in Chandler.

The Scottsdale branch of The Chuckbox at Scottsdale and Shea, great burgers.

BlueStreak17 Jan 10, 2014 3:21 pm

I never went, but I really wish I could have gone to Charlie Trotter's before it closed.

BuildingMyBento Jan 10, 2014 3:46 pm

Pampkin Cook Katsura in Tokyo, where every dish included pumpkin

closetasfan Jan 10, 2014 7:58 pm

Sidewalkers in NYC

braslvr Jan 10, 2014 8:17 pm

The Hot Pastrami

The Hot Pastrami was an institution in Sacramento for decades. I have never had a better pastrami sandwich anywhere. Never met anyone who ate there who disagrees.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-H...=photos_stream

braslvr Jan 10, 2014 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento (Post 22129107)
Pampkin Cook Katsura in Tokyo, where every dish included pumpkin

That would be my worst nightmare. Pumpkin is one of a very small handful of common foods that I despise.

lhrsfo Jan 10, 2014 9:52 pm

Vama, the most innovative Indian, although the blow of its loss is mitigated by its replacement, Medlar, which motored to a Michelin star in record time.

Whilst on the topic of loss, Claudine in SF has changed from stunning and revolutionary to dull faux-French. Most disappointing

cblaisd Jan 10, 2014 11:18 pm

The Carnation Dairy Store, Ft. Worth Texas (old-time soda fountain). Closed ~1968

Ashburne's Ice Cream, Ft. Worth, Texas. Closed early '70s?

Massey's Restaurant, Ft. Worth, Texas 1947-2011. Best chicken-fried steak. Ever.

De Colores Mexican Grill, Aztec, NM. Not closed, but might as well be. The original owner whose family recipes everything was made from sold the restaurant -- but not the recipes -- a couple of years ago.

Kaikodo, Hilo, HI. Truly spectacular food.

Leals Mexican Restaurant, Monahans, Texas. Food I pined after for 10 years; finally returned a year or two before they closed.

Non-NonRev Jan 10, 2014 11:39 pm

Pastrami King - NYC/Queens - smoked their pastrami in their own smokehouse. Named best in New York by the NY Times

Lahmajoon Kitchen - Fresno CA - storefront Armenian bakery specializing in "Armenian pizza"

Yujeans Modern Cuisine of China- Albany CA - best smoke tea duck ever

Rene Verdon's Le Trianon - San Francisco - classic French cuisine by the former White House chef for the kennedys and the Johnsons

cblaisd Jan 11, 2014 8:23 am

The Hop restaurant, Ft. Worth, Texas. Saw Willis Alan Ramsey there and ate too many orders of fried eggplant (trust me) and drank too many pitchers of beer.

The Merry Go Round Drive In, Ft. Worth, Texas. Classic drive in a block east of The Hop

KevinDTW Jan 11, 2014 11:56 am

Hong Fat in NYC's Chinatown. Renoir at the Mirage in Vegas.

LabCat Jan 11, 2014 2:33 pm

La Plaza, southeast Denver, '70's-'80's. Closed late '80's. That's where I developed my love of delicious if not-so-authentic Mexican food.

And just for the nostalgia factor, Red Barn. I was obsessed with Red Barn as a kid.

elg26 Jan 13, 2014 1:46 pm

Trader Vics

Great memories of having a drink with an Umbrella.... and a flaming Pu Pu platter....

CMK10 Jan 13, 2014 7:36 pm

Hunan Garden in Rye, New York. First place I ever had Chinese food and a go to place for my family and me for the better part of 18 years. Still the Chinese restaurant all are measured against in my mind.

March in New York City. A little place on the East Side (58th and 1st) that had absolutely excellent food in a great environment. I had some of the best foods of my life there including my first ever encounter with caviar.