Reload this Page >

What Restaurants Do You Miss ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Restaurants Do You Miss ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:40 am

seagull street fish market, albuquerque NM.

mostly for nostalgia, but they had a squid steak - something i've never seen anywhere else.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:09 am

Koreana in Paramus, NJ
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold, MC Plat., Star Plat.
Alexanders, Chicago

On 79th Street, near rainbow beach, the best Prime rib, every time I order a just ok prime rib anywhere I think of this place. They also had a house salad which was terrific. It had a garlic based dressing with Feta cheese chunks. I remember this place fondly!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:39 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by stevet1003
This topic immediately brought to mind of the best breakfast we ever had that was at Lulu's in Waikiki. .... One of these days we'll get back there, I hope it's still there when we do!
Alive and well, http://www.luluswaikiki.com/
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:01 am
Original Member

I miss Restaurant Androuet in Paris, the famous Paris cheese restaurant. You could go there to have just cheese, if you wished:

http://oneforthetable.com/Food-Famil...-androuet.html

But you could also order off their menu, which had French cheese in every dish. Appetizers with cheese. Soups with cheese. Salads with cheese. Entrees with cheese. and desserts with cheese, or just cheese.

A perfect filet, with a cognac and blue cheese sauce, flambéed table-side, remains the best steak I think I have ever had (and I've had probably more than my share).

There are several Androuet cheese or wine-and-cheese shops now in Paris, as well as one in Stockholm and one in London,

http://www.oldspitalfieldsmarket.com/shops/androuet

but the original restaurant is long gone.

Last edited by Djlawman; Jun 19, 2014 at 9:21 am
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Olga's is still around in parts of Michigan, though with a smaller footprint than it used to have.

A Michigan chain that I do miss even though I was about 50-60 years too young to be part of its customer base is Bill Knapp's. Dang, they had awesome au gratin potatoes, and it was like the perfect place to take grandma for Sunday dinner.
I had forgotten about the au gratin potatoes, they were really good! I also liked the chocolate cake you got free on your birthday. (I think you can buy those at Hillers supermarket now.)

I just miss any restaurant where you could have a quiet, peaceful dinner. These days restaurants are way too loud!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:48 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by BlueStreak17
I never went, but I really wish I could have gone to Charlie Trotter's before it closed.
We went twice and yes, really miss it (and him).
Old Jun 21, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3M), UA1K, and so many others
Delete

Last edited by jtjackson; Mar 29, 2016 at 6:28 pm Reason: Delete
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
A little local Japanese restaurant called Akasaka.

It was on the first floor above some shops and you had to go through a side door and up stairs to get to it. There was only a tiny sign. You had to know it was there.

It was owned by a Japanese man who looked like he was at least 100 years old. He made the sushi by hand and to order and it was amazing both to watch him and to eat it.

It closed down when his lease ended and the landlord wanted a lot more money.

Such a shame. We used it at least once a week either eating in or getting a takeaway.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I miss Matsuhisa (on La Cieniga) in its pre fame days. The venue still exists, but the local charm vanished around the time that Nobu was anointed as a "celebrity chef" (1996). I must give him props though because he hooked me up nicely during the launch of his Beijing restaurant. The food is the same, but I simply can't afford $300 lunches.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I used to spend 13 weeks a year on the East side of Cleveland. I miss the Yours Truly chain where I would get a burger in pita bread, which I no longer see on the on-line menu. I also miss Corky & Lenny's deli, where I would order hot pastrami on rye and as much stuff from the bakery as I could get for the rest of my $25 meal allowance.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
LUM's, especially with the Ollieburger. Have been to the sole-surviving spot in Omaha (at least I think it's still there), but they've morphed into a Shoney's-like trough place and I don't think they have the spice combination right on the Ollieburger. Maybe that mix was proprietary.

WUV's was also short-lived, especially in Atlanta, but had a decent burger.

SHELLS is down to two locations in Tampa now but once covered nearly all of Florida and up to Atlanta. Great clam chowder and inexpensive other seafood.

I haven't seen a BOMBAY BICYCLE CLUB in quite some time.

WESTERN SIZZLIN might still be holding on in some places, but it's more like a Golden Corral or Ryan's competitor, whereas with the old concept you'd order steak chunks smothered in mushroom gravy and steak fries on a sizzling plate and they'd call the ticket numbers on the P.A. and you'd raise your hand.

BURGER CHEF was at least better than the Burger King of today.

On a single-location level, the old OLIVER'S in Murrell's Inlet in South Carolina would qualify (new one isn't the same), as would the defunct GANGPLANK in Florence. Also liked TICKLER'S in Tallahassee.

Last edited by RustyC; Jun 23, 2014 at 1:37 pm
Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:35 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by RustyC
LUM's, especially with the Ollieburger. Have been to the sole-surviving spot in Omaha (at least I think it's still there), but they've morphed into a Shoney's-like trough place and I don't think they have the spice combination right on the Ollieburger. Maybe that mix was proprietary.

I haven't seen a BOMBAY BICYCLE CLUB in quite some time.
There are a couple I miss also. Spent many evenings in the Lums in Ithaca, NY. Loved that Ollieburger, and great drafts in iced glasses.

Bombay Bicycle Club was one of our favorites in Alexandria, VA 30 years ago.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by RustyC
BURGER CHEF was at least better than the Burger King of today.
The nicest thing I could say about Burger Chef is that I remember it. I don't think there's any fast food place I miss, although Mike's Submarines out of the NY Capital district is a possibility.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
Fun thread!

Magic Pan, YES ! Loved it, especially their parmesan fritters.
Trader Vic's : I ate there maybe 10 years ago in Atlanta midtown (it was in the Hilton). Cheesy atmosphere but I had a shrimp dish that was awesome.
Chi Chi's - best chimichangas ever.
Lately I miss Mistral in Charleston.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.