Consolidated "Caviar" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Caviar" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by skchin
Has anyone tried the $3 bottle stuff from Ikea?
No, but I Had my first taste of Swedish meatballs and I dont see what is the big deal about it.

It tastes...meaty and that's about it.
Nothing really exciting about Ikea meatballs

Am I missing something?

That said it's always fascinated me how caviar(which is really easy to produce) has always kept such an expensive place in the market.

Much like Diamonds, they're jacked up and controlled by a few big corporations and governments in order to keep the supply low and the "demand" high.

I've had caviar, if it was half the price then it might be worth every penny, luxury products are a way for companies to part suckers and their money...

Lobster used to be a poor man's dish, gold used to be worthless, and bitcoins didn't even exist....

But hey, maybe I just don't "get it" because I'm not interested in getting short changed by professional scam artists.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by SKYEG
You must not have high taste buds
If he had high taste buds, he would be raving about Cheetos.....

Last edited by Doc Savage; Oct 2, 2012 at 11:54 am
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Had my first taste of Caviar and I dont see what is the big deal about it.

It tastes...salty and that's about it.
Nothing really exciting about caviar.

Am I missing something?
I'm with you on this 100%. I don't particularly like salt - I never cook with it, I don't add it to things, I prefer unsalted peanuts to the salted varieties, etc. So for me caviar is something to avoid.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
For me, caviar is meh, I like it but I don't go out of my way for it.

If I'm at a sushi bar, however, a set of these are always on my plate:

^
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jcwoman
I wouldn't eat Mexican food in Italy, philly cheesesteaks in Hawaii, etc.
Why?

I've had stunningly good Mexican right here in Wisconsin. The best Ethoipian food I've ever had was in Amsterdam. I've had awful Spanish food in Spain. Location doesn't necessarily determine quality.

There's no reason whatsoever that you couldn't have excellent Mexican in Italy (but I'll agree in the Philly - they're disgusting no matter where you find it )
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:06 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
I had my first taste of caviar in 1987 in Moscow and then in Leningrad (now St Petersburg). Many of the people who I was traveling with felt the same way you do. I gorged on caviar for the next week and always loved it.

It's a combo of the quality of the caviar and your tastebuds.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:47 am

Caviar is overrated

Had it on sushi at Roka. Oh man
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC (Silver)
I overate caviar in my childhood. My uncle was a steward with a cruise ship on the Volga and had some sort of cronies in Astrakhan. And we lived on the Volga, too, so he visited us at least once or twice every year bringing a loaf of pressed caviar.

I cannot say that I disliked the taste, but I hated it primarily for huge sums of money that my mom paid for it, 30 rubles or so. For 30 rubles I might add 3 or 4 model cars to my collection! And malossol cucumbers were much cheaper and far tastier to me.

I fancy how much would that loaf cost these days. A fortune!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by slawecki
sounds like the same crowd that hates wagau, and fois gras, but loves DOM!!!

Who could possibly hate the nice folks from Wagau, Papua New Guinea!

As for caviar, it's certainly a unique enough taste that I could see why some would not like it. However, I'm not one of those people as I love it!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jcwoman
I think the flavor is really subtle, at least in the high quality stuff. If it tastes fishy or overly salty then it's not high quality. I would never eat caviar served on a plane just like I wouldn't eat Mexican food in Italy, philly cheesesteaks in Hawaii, etc.

A few years later I had lower-quality caviar elsewhere and was unimpressed.
only cheese in wisconson, mexican in texas, pineapple in HI, BS is DC.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by slawecki
only cheese in wisconson, mexican in texas, pineapple in HI, BS is DC.
No mexican in mexico or new mexico? That's really not very broad...
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Tried it twice on a plane so it came with other stuff like crackers/eggs and some other items.
It came in a fancy bottle from Gourmet House.

It wasnt anything spectacular and the taste was very plain.
The dry air on an aircraft will affect your sense of smell and taste. Try some good stuff on the ground somewhere and get back to us.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I keep a mental list of foodstuffs that people don't actually like, they just pretend to because they think they're supposed to. Caviar is on it. So are raw oysters. That's just personal opinion though and probably sour grapes because I don't have a taste for it
Old Oct 2, 2012, 2:46 pm

First tried caviar a couple years ago in CX F just to say I tried it. Last time for me.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Any food of which people say, "Oh, you have to try it with (side dishes, condiments, a certain alcoholic beverage)" doesn't actually taste good.

Caviar is definitely in that category, as is lutefisk ("Oh, you should try it topped with melted butter while drinking aquavit.")

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.